Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time for a New Beast
    Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 8:07pm
I purchased my current system from DS about five years ago. I'm well satisfied with it. I'm a gamer, and I've yet to find a game that it cannot handle, but, still, it's getting old, and the one problem I have currently is a lack of RAM. From what I remember talking to the techs when I purchased it, adding additional RAM would adversely affect the CPU overclock.

In retrospec, I wish I'd accepted a lower CPU overclock and more RAM. 6 Gigs is just not enough these days, I have to be conservative on what gadgets & programs I have running in the background.

My budget is enough for a high-end unit. This time around, I'm not going to go cheap on the RAM nor the CPU, which I did with my current system.

The New Beast
-----------------------
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS (Intel X99 Chipset) (Workstation Class)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Green Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Enclosure: While I prefer a full Tower, I've almost fallen in love with the Corsair Carbide Series Air 540, watched a lot videos and read reviews on it. It really looks to be a unique chassis. Exactly how DS would install the components will be of great interest to me, of course (for example, I'd prefer the water reservoir go into the right bay, as opposed to crowding the components in the left).

Hard Drives: I just bought two new Samsung 850 Pro 1TB drives, which I'll be putting in the new system, along with a 1TB WD Caviar drive I use for backups. So I really don't need another SSD.

Display: Another recent purchase was an LG 34UM95-P 34" Monitor - its the Ultra-wide model with a native 3440x1440 display. My current system has a singular Titan driving it, which it does with no problems.

Sound Card: I'm strongly considering getting a sound card - possibly the Auzen.
Reason being, I've had the same problem with my past two systems, that of the sound ports going bad. I don't know if it's endemic to PC's, cold solder joints, what, but my Logitech Z550 sound system is underutilized due to the fact I can't properly configure a 5.1 sound system using digital input from an optic port, the only way I can get sound right now.

Not that a sound board won't possibly come with it's own issues . . . and it does seem like it might be unnecessary if the only thing I'm worried about are ports going bad.

Price: The system I've spec'd out retails for $8444.00. Whether that includes the advertised 200.00 off I don't know. One of the sticking points I have is the price, as I've piece-parted the entire system and it comes to about $5700.00. This doesn't include labor, but, still, it's a BIG margin - a $2700.00 difference. Strong

Edited by Psimon - 10 Apr 2015 at 9:29pm
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 10:07pm

Note that, if you are a gaming, a 5930 or 5820 might be better as then you only need to worry about 6 cores when overclocking. The 5960X makes sense for some sorts of tasks, but not so much for gaming

Not sure why you are going with the WS mobo. The ASUS Deluxe is all you need. I see no benefits for you with the WS. It may be I lack the info, but check on the feature differences.

Note that memory speed won't make a big difference. There's benchmarks to prove this. Certainly I would go with 32 GB, but you could save some money not going with the fastest stuff.

For you budget, I suggest 512 GB for the system drive. I see you are adding your own drives, but I was slowly filling up my 256 GB SSD on my old machine, so went bigger with the new machine I recently got.

2x Titan makes sense to me given your high budget. Should be great

I was going to suggest going with a RAID 10 setup, but sounds like you are installing your own drives

Can't tell you anything about sound cards. I have not really tested the onboard sound of my Deluxe, because I am using a synthesizer for the sound output

You are right in that there's a big markup over cost. I would say, DS's customer service has been good enough to justify a lot of the markup. But of course it's cheaper to build yourself, but clearly you are leaning towards paying someone. So the real question was, were you happy with the previous DS support? And whether there's a better company for cheaper?

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:08am
Hi Psimon,

I agree with michaeljhuman comments.

I do question your choice of the Corsair Carbide Series Air 540. I think it is a poor choice for a level 3 hydroLux cooling. This is a small case and there are much better choices for a full liquid cooling system. The 540 doesn't have the space or good setup for RADs with outside cooling. The Aventum or Hailstorm would be a much better choice. The AIR 540 is designed for air cooling. It is nice to love the design of the AIR 540 but it may not be practical for your build.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 30 Mar 2015 at 6:10am
armyslowrdr View Drop Down

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:53pm
The configurator should catch these issues. Apparently even the 760T tower the Apollo uses wont allow to say have 2 hard drives and hydrolux cooling. Really there ought to be a headsup before initial payment is made and the system is already at stage 4.

Edited by armyslowrdr - 30 Mar 2015 at 12:54pm
Apollo "Viking"
I7 5930K, ASUS X99-DELUXE
32GB DDR4, Corsair AX1200i
Two Samsung 256 GB 850 Pro SSD
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:37pm
Hi armyslowrdr,

I see you have changed your specs from your original post. The 290X is quite a come down from the Titan X. The 290X is even a step down from the 980. The 5930k is a better choice for gaming based on cost/performance. I wonder what resolution you are going to be playing at?

Frank   

Edited by FrankW - 30 Mar 2015 at 1:39pm
armyslowrdr View Drop Down

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:43pm
no FrankW I never had a Titan X in my build. Always a 290x. And I do not game--NONE. Solely video edit and photography.Perhaps you are confusing me with the OP. All I was commenting on was the fact that even my tower 760T case apparently would not hold my configuration--as I was called 3 different times today.

Edited by armyslowrdr - 30 Mar 2015 at 1:45pm
Apollo "Viking"
I7 5930K, ASUS X99-DELUXE
32GB DDR4, Corsair AX1200i
Two Samsung 256 GB 850 Pro SSD
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 10:59pm
Hi armyslowrdr,

Sorry, I got your post mixed up with Psimon. I think the HydroLux cooling in both builds got me confused.

Frank
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 7:57pm
"mouth dropping"
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 3:47pm
I've taken most (but not all) of the suggestions to heart and looked over the specs and configuration again. While I was toying with the idea of doing some rendering, that's still up in the air (don't know if I have the time or, frankly, artistry). Which is why I was going for the WS mobo, CPU, and higher performance RAM.

I've made the build a bit more modest, although I am toying with going 3-way SLI. However, I don't plan on getting a 4K monitor anytime soon - the new LG 34UM95-P I've got is native at 3440x1440 - and two Titan X's should be more than sufficient for high resolution gaming on this monitor.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540

- Hey, I've seen water-based cooling builds with this chassis. While I prefer a tower, this box is wider, roomy, and should be big enough for the build I've in mind. I do plan on discussing this with DS techs; if my impressions of the Carbide Air are far off the mark, or this build is going to be extremely cramped, then I'll look over another case.

Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)

I want to stick with the higher grade processor- for the performance. Sure, it's possibly  overkill, but this time around (as opposed to my current PC) I want the high performance CPU.

If I change my mind, I will probably drop it down to the 5930. The 5960X is certainly not a "value" buy in terms of price. Dropping the total down $500+ is tempting.

Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)

Don't need a WS mobo I guess, and this one's feature rich with good reviews.

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

I looked into the comment about the 2800MHz RAM, and the advice seems sensible. I don't want to OC the RAM if I can help it, due to instability issues. So 2666MHz it is.

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)

Again, I really don't need another SSD; might drop this one to an even smaller one - just to the minimum required for them to install Win7 Ult and get it going and configured.

Internet Access: Wireless USB ASUS N13 (Supports 802.11n/g/b)

Inexpensive and I've got WIFI. If it doesn't work out, can always wire connect.

Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

I'll ignore my past misgivings with integrated audio and give it another try. If there's issues, *then* I can consider a sound board (yet they too can have issues, I know).

Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Green Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)

It's a green box, yes to "Borg" builds

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

I hope the "Standard Factory Chassis Fans" are the originals shipped with the Carbide Air, as the have good reviews. Maybe a bit noisy but I can put up with that (prefer efficiency).

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)

Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Psimon - 10 Apr 2015 at 4:17pm
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 4:02pm
Oh, and about going RAID - I've had a RAID Stripe 0 in the past, with two WD Velociraptors, and it just became a PITA. I didn't have a UPS at the time, and every time I had a brown out, Intel's RAID software took nearly 18 hours + to restore the drives. I don't need a RAID10, either, I archive precious data anyway.

Just not worth it, IMO, for a personal PC.

Edited by Psimon - 10 Apr 2015 at 4:13pm
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 4:43pm
Craziness... nice build!!   
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 5:57pm
Still, it will be awhile before I pull the trigger, I think - yes, I'm rethinking the case. Problem is, I'm not yet seen another DS offering I care for . . .I like my current HAF 932 better :P.

(and I miss the old silver CM Stacker I had! Sigh, sold it)
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:42pm
I love the Air 540.  I think it's nice looking and has very good airflow.  They suggest the 3 - 120mm fans in the front over the 2 - 140mm. 

They did have the HAF-X at one point recently but it looks like it is gone again unfortunately.  You can always special order a case.  It costs some additional money (I believe it is additional $40) and isn't 'warranted' by DS but with a case, I'm not sure that is such a big risk..  
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 5:14am
I've found that DS is good with customization requests.
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 5:21am
can you imagine shipping costs on a COSMOS II ? That THANG weights 50 lbs! 
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 9:32am
Still case shopping.

I've considered a custom case & working it out with DS, but I'm wary that an unfamiliar case in their shop might lead to an inferior build scheme.

I took a hard look at the Aventum II, and it's allright, but has one issue - for me, that I *know* this might seem dumb to everyone, but I prefer a "right handed" PC location - in other words, the window has to be on the left side of the case. Seriously, while locating it in a different location, on the left, might not seem a huge deal breaker, but the new location - different from what I've enjoyed for the past 15+ years - would bug me more than a noisy PC.

Okay, maybe not a deal breaker. I suppose I could get used to the new location . . . .

The past two cases I've had are both Coolermaster's (a CM Stacker, and the HAF 932); while I liked both cases, CM has been slipping with it's preference for "Tool-Less" rigs which often have issues with shoddy drive bays breaking or poorly fitting mount solutions (like the HAF 932 I got, where one of the video boards won't properly lock down) - hey, guys, there's nothing wrong with screws!

I guess the case I'm looking for features:
- Full Tower
- Made with liquid cooling solutions in mind
- Left panel window
- Amenable to quiet running modifications  & materials (sound absorbing)
- Plastic parts at a minimum
- Hinged panels would be a nice touch
- *Style* -no, not overboard Extraterrestrial-Ware™ plastic gaudy-ness, but something
more stylish than Corsair's austere "minimalist" Spartan Theme

Does such a case exist? I don't know.

As far as the COSMOS II goes,  I do have to comment that handles on a Tower is something I've wanted for *ages* (always problematic moving the sucker & being careful not to break something off, or worse, drop it).

Supposedly the Aventum III is due out? (but I'm willing to bet its another right side window) . . . .

Edited by Psimon - 11 Apr 2015 at 9:44am
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply