FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thorough and Frank Review

Post Date: 2009-09-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NuWatts View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NuWatts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Thorough and Frank Review
    Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 4:13am
NOTE TO OTHER CUSTOMERS:
If you're reading my review to help you decide if you should buy from Digital Storm or not, be sure not to stop reading at the end of this post!  I encountered problems, yes, but some of the responses to my post helped account for and answer these problems.  So, before let my review sway you, be sure to consider how DS responds to reviews like mine!

-NuWatts, 9/22/09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST (9/21/09):

Well, my first Digital Storm desktop computer arrived a few days ago, and I've finally had the time to try it out some before posting a full review of my DS buying experience.  Be warned: I am meticulous by nature, so this review will be long.  (But it includes pictures for those of you who don't like to read as much!  Ouch )

Contents:
I. Pre-Purchase
II. Post-Purchase
III. Unboxing and First Impressions
IV. Set-Up and Usage
V. Final Rating
VI. Suggestions for Improvement

-------------------------------------

I. Pre-Purchase

Before I purchased this DS desktop, I had two computers: A 5-year old HP Pavilion a646c desktop and a 2-year old HP Pavilion dv9207us laptop.  Upgrades to my desktop's RAM, graphics card, power supply, and hard drive space had extended its life quite well.  In fact, I'd say that it runs better than my laptop!  Still, both of my computers were always limited in their abilities, and this fact became even more obvious and games demanded more and more of PCs.  Before buying this DS computer, the last computer game I bought was Supreme Commander.  After experiencing how slow my computers were in running new games, I abandoned playing computer games all together.

So, I had been out of the "gaming loop" for over 2 years when I finally decided it was time to get a new computer.  I spent two or three weeks researching into the latest technologies computers were using so that I would be qualified to make an educated choice in finding my new system.

After careful comparisons that included adding up the worth of all included hardware, I finally decided that Digital Storm was worth extending my budget to get the highest quality service available.  Certainly, DS offered me a pre-built system that was much closer to what I wanted than any other computer I had looked at, but a large part of why I went with DS was their highly acclaimed customer service and quality control.

Now, I did encounter some obstacles to getting help with my purchase, but I was eventually able to make the final decision to go ahead and purchase my new system.

And here is exactly what came with the Labor Day sale "Enthusiast 2" pre-configured system that I bought on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 (9/2/09):
Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Desktop 154988 Quantity: 1 $1,822.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core) Factory Overclocked to 3.8GHz
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE (Chipset: Intel X58) (Model: 141-BL-E757-TR)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair/Mushkin (Digital Storm Certified) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVDąR/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: 7.1 24-bit / 192kHz Decoding High Definition Integrated Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
CPU Boost: Yes, Factory Overclocked i7 920 from 2.66GHz to 3.8GHz with 100% Stability & Reliability
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Priority Build: Ship Within 72-Hours After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Technical Support: Life-time U.S. based technical support and customer service by our own in-house technicians
Upgrades: Life-time labor free upgrades for component upgrades purchased directly from Digital Storm
Assembly: Hand built by a skilled Digital Storm certified engineer using premium grade components
Stress-Testing: Complete 72-hour processor, memory, and video card stress-test to ensure rock-solid operation
Quality Control: Analyzed by an extremely dedicated production manager that is obsessed with perfection
Special Packaging: Expanding StormShield foam to protect and secure internal component from shipping abuse
Certificate of Ownership: Personalized Certificate of Ownership for your new specialized Digital Storm system signed by own engineers

Sub-Total: $1,822.00
Tax: $0.00
S&H: Ground $0.00
Grand Total: $1,822.00

Time of order: Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:24 AM (Central Time)

II. Post-Purchase

Over the next couple of days, I quickly received a stream of e-mails from Digital Storm informing me that my system was progressing through the Stages of production.  The last of these e-mail updates I received stated the following:

Originally posted by Digital Storm

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM
Stage 5: (Phase 2 Stress Testing)
Your order has been passed to our final phase 2 stress-testing team. They run a final batch of tests to verify the integrity and stability of your system. This allows us to ensure that every system we ship will be a rock solid machine for years to come.

A few hours later, Digital Storm attempted to contact me by phone.  However, I work Monday-Friday 10:30am - 7:00pm Central Time, which translates to 8:30am - 5:00pm Pacific Time.  In other words, I work through all of Digital Storm's business hours, making it extremely difficult and frustrating for us to make contact with each other.

When I got home I had received an e-mail stating the following:

Originally posted by Eric

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:20 PM
Dear Nathan,
We have tested that gtx285 1GB to not be up to our standards , and we don't have any in stock at this present moment we wanted to know if you wanted to take this opportunity to "level up" to a better card for only the price difference in our cost ! for $98, if not we will have to wait till a new shipment comes in which then we can finish you order . Let me know !

Sincerely,
Eric

[NOTE: Interestingly, user "Angt" encountered the exact same problem.  Read about it here.>

Ignoring the poor use of English grammar and punctuation (something that I'd expect from an India-based customer support, but not DS), I was partly discouraged, partly encouraged, and partly confused by this message.  I was discouraged because we were about to enter Labor Day weekend, so I knew that this meant more delays on me receiving my computer.  I was encouraged because this seemed to indicated that DS has a very rigorous Quality Control.  And I was confused because I noticed that there were still many of the same pre-configured systems I purchased available for sale, suggesting that they HAD to have more of the GTX285 cards in stock.

Regardless, I wasn't willing to spend an extra $100, so I sent a message in reply simply saying that I'll be patient and wait for them to get more of the GTX285's in stock.

The next day, I was able to slip away from my work for a moment and answer a phone call from DS.  It was Eric, who was calling to inform me that he had made a mistake in the e-mail he sent me.  In actuality, it would cost $61 to upgrade my card to the GTX285 2GB version (as opposed to the 1GB version my pre-configured system had).  Slightly grudgingly, I gave him the go-ahead to upgrade my card and charge me the extra $61, deciding that I'd rather get my computer sooner and with a better card than continue to wait.  Eric also informed me that he had sent an e-mail detailing the information about upgrading, but he warned me that the e-mail mistakenly says that upgrading to the 2GB card would credit my account $61 instead of charging it.

Once I got home, I checked my e-mail to read the message he had sent:

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:37 PM
Dear Nathan,

I was wrong about the pricing it wasnt $98 it actually $61, Here is a copy of the special price they forward me to give you
From a GTX 285 1GB Video Cad (Yours currenty)
To

1) GTX 295 = Charge +$181

2) GTX 275 896MB = Credit -$102

3) GTX 295 2GB = Credit -$61

Let me know which one you would like.

Sincerely,
Eric

Did you catch the mistake(s)?
Not only did the e-mail include the error that Eric warned me about over the phone (along with a continued unprofessional use of written English), but it even seemed to indicate that I would be receiving a GTX295 2GB version for the extra $61 instead of the GTX285 2GB that Eric told me about over the phone!

Well, I wasn't going to leave any room for confusion, so I sent the following reply:

Originally posted by NuWatts

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 around 8:30 PM
To Eric,

In addition to the conversation we had over the phone today (9/4), I wanted to send you a message to confirm the details of my response to your offer.

I confirmed that I would like to upgrade my computer's graphics card instead of waiting for you to have the GTX 285 1GB in stock.  It was my understanding that I will be paying an additional $61 to upgrade to the GTX 285 2GB.

Now, you already explained over the phone that the e-mail you sent me accidentally indicates that my account would be credited $61, and that instead, it will be charged $61.  However, I also noticed that your message indicates that this option would upgrade my card to the "GTX 295 2GB".  Now, I suspect that this might be a typo, since the first option you listed would upgrade my card to the "GTX 295" for $181.

Here is the list of options you sent:
---
1) GTX 295 = Charge +$181

2) GTX 275 896MB = Credit -$102

3) GTX 295 2GB = Credit -$61 [You already explained the -$61 was a mistake.]
---

So, I assume that I will be paying $61 for the GTX 285 2GB video card.  Obviously, I wouldn't mind if the $61 pays for a GTX 295, but I'll leave that up to your end to figure out.

I can be contacted by e-mail and occasionally by phone if needed.  Thanks.

After Labor Day weekend, I received two messages from Digital Storm.  The first was a reply from Eric:

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:38 PM
Dear Nathan,
Yeah that email was a huge typo lol
it was $61 for a GTX285 2GB not anything else.

Sincerely,
Eric

Well, I'm glad you found the situation humorous, Eric.  I'll join you in your mirth as long as there aren't any more problem with my computer...

The second e-mail I received that day was a new status update:
(Note: This will be important later!)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM
Dear Nathan,

Congratulations once again, the status of your amazing new Digital Storm system has been updated!

Stage 6: (Quality Assurance)
Dear Nathan,
Your system is undergoing a very detailed quality control analysis. A Digital Storm Quality Inspector is tasked with inspecting your machine from missing screws, loose cards, checking for special requests, verifying the configuration, and double checking our stress-test results. Our Inspectors are trained with a eye for detail and insure that every system leaves our facility with the art of perfection.

Sincerely,
Digital Storm Sales Department

Finally, at on "Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 6:03 PM", I received a e-mail from Digital Storm confirming that my order had been shipped.

III. Unboxing and First Impressions

AT LAST, it's time to cover the details of my unboxing experience and first impressions of the computer itself!  This is the part with pretty pictures!  :D

UPS first attempted to deliver the computer to me on Mon, Sep 14, 2009.  But again, since I work during all normal business hours, I wasn't there to sign for it.  I arranged for someone to be available at my house and sign for it the next day, which is when it was successfully delivered.  However, I was busy that day, so I wasn't able to actually begin opening the box until the day after that.

So, on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, two full weeks after I first placed my order, I FINALLY got to open my new computer!

As is abundantly obvious by now, I'm very meticulous and have an eye for detail.  So, I took a picture of every step of the unboxing process, allowing me to show here on this forum exactly what I received and what condition it was in.

First, the box:

First impression: Great Scots!  It's HUGE!!

Now, let's see what's inside:

[Click any image to enlarge it.>

I decided to start with the white box tucked in on the right.  It ends up that there were two of them:

I started with the Digital Storm Personalized User Manual on the right.  It had the Vista manual, Windows 7 upgrade coupon, Certificate of Ownership... looks good.  Well, if anything IS wrong with the computer, I'll get a close up of that certificate so that we'll know who to blame.  Disapprove

And at the back of the manual, I had all my disks and a rebate coupon for Corsair memory:

The other box included all my accessories and other manuals along with a convenient bag to put them all in (which I immediately used):

Now, back to the actual computer:

Again... It's HUGE!  But the box does look so awesome.  There was a little wear and tear on the box due to shipping, and the clear tape on the top had completely split open, but I was fine with that as long as the actual computer wasn't damaged.

Once taken out of its box, here's what you've got:

Removing the styrofoam protection and plastic covering, the glory of my new computer is finally revealed:

One last time: My gosh... IT'S HUGE!  Luckily, I got myself an even larger new desk the previous weekend, so I was set to go.

Now for the details inspection where it matters - inside.  Removing the left side panel (I discovered later that both side panels can be removed - a very nice feature), I found the protective StormShield right where it should be:

Hmm... something looked off.  I went ahead and removed the StormShield to get a closer look:

Do you see it now?  Let's get an even closer shot:

First impression: ..... not impressed.

That's right, the hard drive had not been locked in place, so it was free to bounce around in shipping.  Upon further inspection, I found the cause of the trouble:

The rear left corner of the hard drive had not been correctly inserted into the hard drive holder.  The other three corners had been locked into place correctly; compare to the other side:

Here's the holder once I had removed the hard drive, with the "wheel" that had not been inserted removed:

The hard drive suffered some minor exterior scratches, and the holder itself was bumped up in a few locations.  I took pictures, but I won't bother posting them here because the damage is really pretty insignificant; I seriously doubt that it will affect the hard drive's performance.

HOWEVER, I was extremely disappointed that I such a simple detail was overlooked, a detail that may have potentially damaged the hard drive and/or cords that attach to it.  Let's review one of the things I paid for, shall we?

Quality Control: Analyzed by an extremely dedicated production manager that is obsessed with perfection

and

Stage 6: (Quality Assurance)
Your system is undergoing a very detailed quality control analysis. A Digital Storm Quality Inspector is tasked with inspecting your machine from missing screws, loose cards, checking for special requests, verifying the configuration, and double checking our stress-test results. Our Inspectors are trained with a eye for detail and insure that every system leaves our facility with the art of perfection.

Apparently, the hard drive doesn't count as a "card", so it's OK for it to be loose. Cry

Well, I inserted the hard drive correctly into one of the other holders and decided to move it up a spot.  Here's what it SHOULD have looked like when I opened it:

*Sigh*

Well, let's move on past that unfortunate experience...

My other big impressions about the inside of the computer itself was:

1) Nice water cooling system for the CPU.
2) Three more slots for RAM; excellent.
3) Is that the graphics card at the bottom?  THEY MAKE THEM THAT BIG?!?   Sweet.

So, overall first impression: Looks like a good system, but very disappointed about the hard drive assembly.

IV. Set-Up and Usage

Lastly, here's a picture of my computer set-up and turned on along with a few points/thoughts I've come up with since I've started using it:

Appearance:
    *Again, it's very large, but I've got the room for it.  Also, I know that this means there's plenty of room to expand easily, which was one of my main concerns, so I'm OK with it's size.

*The extra LED fans that were installed on the side and back of the chassis are nice, but the bright blue clashes with the covert red LED built into the front fan.  Additionally, there should be a way to turn the LED lights on the fan off.  There's a button on the top of the chassis to turn the front red LED lights off, but I have found no way to turn the blue LEDs off without unplugging the fans entirely.

*The placement of the top optical drive makes it a little difficult to insert and take out disks when you have something plugged into the front USB or audio ports.  Not a big deal; just a little annoyance.

Performance:
    *Boot-up is REALLY fast!  I like that a lot.

*There's something very satisfying about seeing Task Manager list the usage of eight Processor cores.

*I immediately went out and bought Crysis.  It plays with all settings on Very High (the best possible) without slowing down.   Over about 12 hours of playing (not all at once, of course) the game did crash twice on me.  Not sure what the cause is.

Other:
    *I've realized that I now need to get a good keyboard and mouse in order to fully compliment this powerful work of machinery.  I don't want too many extra features on the keyboard, and I'd definitely like to spend less than $100 total on the mouse and keyboard.  Any suggestions?

*I suspect this is an annoyance caused by Vista 64-bit, but I've noticed that many programs I've installed (including Crysis) are not showing up in the "All Programs" listing under the Start menu.  It won't even find Crysis if you search for it using the Start menu search bar.  The only way I've know of to open the game is to open the "Games" window through the Start menu (which I don't really like) or to insert the disk and click "Play".  Any tips on how to fix this?

V. FINAL RATING
Purchasing: 2/5 **
Customer Support: 2/5 **
Delivery: 3/5 ***
Hardware QC: 2/5 **
Software QC: 4/5 ****
System Performance: 4/5 ****
Overall Rating: 3/5 ***
(Note: "QC" stands for "Quality Control".  I gave the "Hardware QC" a pretty low rating because I believed the hard drive had been inserted incorrectly by DS.  In a reply to this post, I have been told that this is due to shipping abuse, and that DS is taking measures to prevent this problem, so I am willing to give DS the benefit of the doubt in this case.) - 9/22/09

VI. Suggestions for Improvement
Most importantly, DS simply can't boast such high standards in Quality Control if they can't even install a hard drive correctly.  Sure, it's not as bad as a receiving a defective motherboard, but this can't be blamed on the manufacturer.  A very simple check would have revealed that the hard drive was not locked in place.

--> Spend a little more time physically checking the installation of hardware.  Also, figure out who's signature this is on my certificate and let them know they missed one:

P.S. Why is there no signature on the "Packaging" line?  No one packed my computer?  Anyone else missing a signature on their certificate?

Second, DS can't boast such high standards in their Customer Support if:
1) they have extremely limited business hours for phone contact, making it difficult for working people to contact them; and
2) e-mails use poor English writing levels and are riddled with incorrect information.

--> I know its not an easy thing, but the time customer support is available needs to be extended to either evenings and/or weekends.  Eventually, 24/7 support would be ideal, of course.

As long as the computer itself provides continued high-performance, I will be adequately satisfied.  However, I seriously hope that Digital Storm increases their business hours soon so that people like me will be able to contact them for support when needed.  Also, the quality of their support itself needs to match the claims made on their website, and the same goes for Quality Control.

Sorry about the super-long review, but I wanted to be completely open and completely honest.  I look forward to any sort of response from anyone!

Edited by NuWatts - 22 Sep 2009 at 10:37pm
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:30am
Nice review, and the pictures are awesome. Open and honest is what we want to hear. Enjoy your beast.
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 10:35am
Yeah, Crysis and a number of other games seem to forget about placing a desktop shortcut, and as Harleyman posted, you have to bore down into their directories using Windows Explorer or the Start Menu, and right-click Send to Desktop.

You mentioned in your other post about moving or copying your OS onto this drive. It's much better to go with a fresh install, and is in fact required given you're dealing with a different mobo, system drivers, video drivers, et al. What I did (but this involves a bit more $) was to get an external 1TB WD drive. While all I really cared about was documents, pics, videos that I'd lose with a reinstall, I went ahead and copied the entire C drive to it (my system disk is only 350GB or so, plenty of room) so I wouldn't miss anything.

I liked your review, it was indeed frank. I'll bet DS liked it also, because it highlighted some areas that might need tightening/improvement on their end, like the correspondence and final QA for the rigs. People will make mistakes, but if they go the extra mile to "make it right" that's what is important, I'd say.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 11:54am
@NuWatts,

Thank you for the great detailed review!

I hope you don't think the hard drive left the facility that way... We've seen this happen on rare occasions where the hard drive tray will dislodge like that if the system is dropped on its side during shipping.

The white corner piece that goes on the hard drive came off from the impact/shock of the drop.

If you would feel more comfortable, we are more than happy to arrange a replacement hard drive for you to ensure you don't have any future issues.

In regards to the video card stock issue, we had a defective batch of GTX 285 1GB video cards, so we had to contact our customers to have them switched over.

I had a meeting today with our staff to ensure that we have a double check process to ensure every packaging signature section on our 'Certificate' gets signed. Even if the signature isn't there, it doesn't mean that our QA inspector didn't verify the packaging because our packaging is an assembly line based process.

In addition, I spoke with our packaging team, and we will now be adding custom cut foam pieces where the hard drive cages are for the HAF 932 and the HAF 922 chassis to ensure, even if the box gets mishandled by a shipping company, the hard drives will stay intact.

As always, we thank our customers for providing us these honest reviews which allow us to iron out the very few rare issues in order to perfect Digital Storm for all of our customers.

Edited by Alex - 22 Sep 2009 at 6:42pm
Techkai View Drop Down

Quote Techkai Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 5:34pm
Wow very professional review with lots of attention to detail,acute knowledge of the English language, reasons for the ratings it received with pictures for evidence . If I didn't know any better I would say your my colonel from the army very well done.Smile

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 7:43pm
Yes, but the most important thing to know is that my finger hurts really bad right now from having to scroll all the way to the bottom of this page.  Man, that was a long way down!
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:05pm
OK I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but your Windows 7 upgrade code is SHOWING, I mean I could totally steal it and be an ass about it, but I'm nice enough tell you about it here. I would suggest deleting the image or something because I can read that ez. Welcome.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:17pm
That's how I got my free copy... THANKS DS! Ermm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:44pm
NuWatts,

This was one of the best reviews that I have seen!  I applaud you for your expert detailed review.  I believe that Digital Storm constantly improves and becomes an even better company as a result of both the "works perfect right out of the box" and the ones that need a little fine tuning.

Mine was a works perfect right out of the box but I am always impressed with the professional responses that Digital Storms gives when there are issues.  I think the times when there are issues is when a company truly shows their merit.

I believe you are in good hands with Digital Storm and that you will have a very enjoyable experience with your new beast.

Once again, I sincerely enjoyed reading your professional review and it will be something that will help us all appreciate the systems that arrive and pop right up fine as well as those that need Digital Storm support to get it right when it is first arrives in our homes.

Welcome to the Digital Storm community.  Your attention to detail will be a valuable addition to this forum!!!

Ermm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
NuWatts View Drop Down

Quote NuWatts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Caleb

OK I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but your Windows 7 upgrade code is SHOWING, I mean I could totally steal it and be an ass about it, but I'm nice enough tell you about it here. I would suggest deleting the image or something because I can read that ez. Welcome.

lol.  I KNEW I had forgotten to do something!  "You'll need to photoshop the picture with the Windows 7 upgrade coupon," I thought to myself, "Make sure you don't forget..."

Oops.  Oh well, it's removed now.  Thanks for the reminder.
NuWatts View Drop Down

Quote NuWatts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by harleyman

I assume that Crysis went on another HDD than the OS..

Right click your My Computer Icon

Select Explore

Select the drive that Crysis sits on

Find the game and expand all the files

Once you find the EXE. file right  click it ans select...Send copy to desktop..

Done

Actually, I have yet to add another HDD to my system.  I plan on eventually transferring my old 250GB HDD to my new computer just for some extra media storage, but right now, I'm only using the 1TB HDD that came with the system.

And that's why I really don't understand why it's not showing up under All Programs or even searching from the Start menu.  Now, I do know where the game's files are [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis], but the game files are surprisingly scattered and difficult to sort through.  I've so far been unable to find the ONE .exe file that opens Crysis.

However, even if I did find it and successfully made a shortcut on my desktop, that still doesn't solve the problem of it and other programs not showing up in the Start menu like they should.  Any clues on how to fix this?
NuWatts View Drop Down

Quote NuWatts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Alex

I hope you don't think the hard drive left the facility that way... We've seen this happen on rare occasions where the hard drive tray will dislodge like that if the system is dropped on its side during shipping.

The white corner piece that goes on the hard drive came off from the impact/shock of the drop.

Admittedly, I did think that the hard drive left the facility that way.  Or, more specifically, I figured that the hard drive had not been inserted correctly into the back "white corner piece," which prevented the drive tray from locking in place correctly, which allowed it to shake loose during shipping.  So, I didn't think that it left Digital Storm looking just like it did when I received it, but I did believe that the hard drive tray had not been locked into place correctly by the DS team.

However, since you say that this has happened before, I will give DS the benefit of the doubt in this case and instead point the finger and shipping.  However, I'll admit that it's a little unsettling to know that this means my system was dropped on its side with enough impact to shake the hard drive loose...
I think I felt better when I thought DS just put the hard drive in wrong...

If you would feel more comfortable, we are more than happy to arrange a replacement hard drive for you to ensure you don't have any future issues.

The offer is greatly appreciated, Alex.  Thankfully, as I said in my review, I don't think the hard drive suffered any damage besides very minor scratches on the outside, so it shouldn't give me any trouble performing.

I'll be sure to take you up on that offer if something does go wrong with the hard drive that might be due to this shipping abuse.

In regards to the video card stock issue, we had a defective batch of GTX 285 1GB video cards, so we had to contact our customers to have them switched over.

Understood.  I just wish the correct information would have been given to me on the first try.

I had a meeting today with our staff to ensure that we have a double check process to ensure every packaging signature section on our 'Certificate' gets signed. Even if the signature isn't there, it doesn't mean that our QA inspector didn't verify the packaging because our packaging is an assembly line based process.

Sound great.

In addition, I spoke with our packaging team, and we will now be adding custom cut foam pieces where the hard drive cages are for the HAF 932 and the HAF 922 chassis to ensure, even if the box gets mishandled by a shipping company, the hard drives will stay intact.

Awesome.  I'm happy to see that my review helped point out this problem and resulted in more preventative measuring.  Hopefully, this will allow others' systems to avoid shipping abuse.
(NOTE: I can't wait to see some pictures of other customers' systems that come with these new foam pieces for the hard drive!  I'll be watching the reviews!)

As always, we thank our customers for providing us these honest reviews which allow us to iron out the very few rare issues in order to perfect Digital Storm for all of our customers.

You're welcome, and thanks for the quick response.  I look forward to seeing this topic moved to the "Customer Reviews" forum soon!
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 10:41pm
I like the way DS is handling and responding to your review. Now on another note, what camera did you use to take those picture?Ouch
Tugmaster View Drop Down

Quote Tugmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 2:41am
What a great review! Very detailed and honest. I really like the fact how DS listens to its customers feedback and implements suggestions/changes on a dime. My experience with large companies it just the opposite. Great job DS and I hope you are loving you new computer. Did you name him/her yet?

In regards to the e-mails, DS representatives should be required to use spell check and use professionalism and common sense at all times. It also needs to include accurate information. Who puts a "lol" in an e-mail to a customer? I find that funny enough to laugh out loud! Acronyms should not be allowed by employees sending an e-mail to a customer as the customer might not understand it or have a different meaning of it, which can create a negative customer experience. I have 12 employees and if one of my employees conducted e-mails as posted above I would either fire them or put them on a final warning with the expectation that if it ever happened again he/she would be terminated. Some of you may not agree, but from my experience this is completely unacceptable.
i7 [email protected](3.67ghz turbo)
6G Mushkin DDR3 Ram
2x Nvidia 275 in SLI
750 PC Power and Cooling PSU
MSI X58M
Asestek Liquid Cooling
Haf 922 Case
22' ASUS 1920x1080

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 11:36am
@Tugmaster,

You are absolutely right, and I've already had a talk with Eric about this.

He tends to get a little too friendly with our customers, but, understands that he needs to keep it profressional.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 11:38am
By the way the camera is a Nikkon COOLPIX S550 (How I know?) I checked the meta tags of the photos he took
 Post Reply Post Reply