FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of buying a Krypton...

Post Date: 2013-12-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dracos View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dracos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Thinking of buying a Krypton...
    Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 12:50pm
...and I'm wondering why it comes stock with Windows 8. Is it a touch screen laptop? I don't see anything to say it is, and since Windows 8 was made to work with a touch screen system, shouldn't this come with Windows 7, and Windows 8 be the option that costs extra?

I'm just curious as to if the Krypton is a touch screen laptop or not. I don't think Windows 7 should be getting phased out already, and I don't really understand the application of a touch screen based OS (no matter how modifiable it is) to a non touch screen system.

Windows has a habit of running a "test version" of their various OSs; remember Vista and how much people hated it? Windows 8 feels like its one of those test versions, with a ton of options and features that range from annoying to useless for a lot of people. I don't think it should be used as a primary Os just yet; instead, waiting for the next Windows, which is more likely to be a proper OS, should be what's done.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 1:03pm
Krypton is not touch screen.   
Dracos View Drop Down

Quote Dracos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Krypton is not touch screen.   

This just makes me wonder why Windows 8 is the primary OS for the system then instead of Windows 7, and it costs nearly $100 to get Windows 7 installed.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 2:27pm
Yeah, I understand your concern. I still have Win 7 on my desktop so really can't debate the pros and cons. Win 8 is becoming increasingly the OS for both laptops and desktops with non-touch screen monitors. The love/hate debate has been going on for awhile but Win8 seems to be winning as MS updates it with Start button, etc.
Plus Win 8 is needed for the latest DirectX 11.1 and 11.2 drivers which gamers seeing a bump up in performance with BF 4 for example.

The laptops here are probably just giving what most are asking for.

Just my thoughts.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 7:17am
Normally the base version of Win7 is the same price as Win but it looks like DS is phasing out Win7 as they only have Win7 Ultimate licenses available and that's all they are offering on systems... You don't need touch display to use Win8.1. And it is the better OS for gaming as bp22 mentioned above...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
 Post Reply Post Reply