FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Lance?

Post Date: 2014-07-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Featherwick View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Featherwick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: The Lance?
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 6:54pm
I'm planning on spending 2000 dollars on this Lance, and going with the Tier 3 best option, and mainly want it to play Dragon Age Inquisition at Ultra when it comes out.  I'm mainly wondering if the Lance has any problems that the Krypton does not or is just better in general, thanks for the help.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 9:12am
I have the Krypton and not the Lance, so no experience on the differences between the two.  Lance uses a Clevo case very similar to the Krypton's, so the experience should be similar.  Smaller formfactor and more-tightly-packed components may mean that heat will be a bigger factor in the Lance, but can't say for sure.

I'd recommend going with the Level 4 if you can swing it for the bigger SSD and 16GB of RAM.  My last laptop was 8GB and there were times I would actually get low memory messages, mostly when running both Second Life and Firefox, both of them RAM hogs.  No such experiences with my 16GB on the Krypton.

In any case, it's hard to say whether you'll be able to run Dragon Age Inquisition at Ultra, but there certainly shouldn't be a difference in that between the Krypton and Lance.  I'd expect both to be equal.

Also, keep in mind that since both are running at 1920x1080, the smaller screen size of the Lance means you may have issues if you can't read small text.  Software can alleviate some of that.  I don't know if it's an issue for you at all, but something to keep in mind.  I run 1920x1080 on my 15.6" work laptop (a Dell Latitude E) without issue, but I'm mostly using that on a docking station with large, 23" monitors.  Only occasionally do I run it with the built-in screen, but haven't had a problem during those times.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 9:17am
Also, spring for the better thermal compound.  You'll want to eke every degree of cooling that you can out of this.

"Heat is the mind-killer." - Muad'Dib
 Post Reply Post Reply