FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Dream Machine arrives

Post Date: 2008-06-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BRITinUS View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BRITinUS Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: The Dream Machine arrives
    Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 2:06pm

My new custom-built DigitalStorm dream machine arrived just before the weekend.  First a few pictures of the system, then some comments on performance and the DigitalStorm "experience". 

The box was intact apart from a small perforation on the top.

The computer was so well padded that there was absolutely no damage done. A quick physical inspection revealed 2 of the drive blank-off grids were not in place.

One was found sitting on the motherboard, presumably dislodged during transportation, the other one was missing.

The build quality and wiring job are absolutely first class.  I’ve built half a dozen or so PCs from scratch and, believe me, could not do a better job myself.

The physical inspection revealed everything else was tight and in place.  Plug in, hit the power button, and hey presto!Smile

From the date of ordering to the system being shipped took 17 business days.  As I read through the forum posts while my system was being built, I do believe that to manage expectations DigitalStorm should quote delivery times of 15-20 business days.  This is not at all unreasonable for a custom built PC, where all the components are chosen individually, over-clocking is on the menu, and the sytem is extensively tested.  A quick call to Alex yesterday sorted the missing drive blank-off grid issue; he is sending one in the mail, plus a second one as a spare.  He said he would also throw in a couple of software utilities for my inconvenience.  Now that’s what I call service!Thumbs%20Up

At Kelly’s recommendation, even though I ordered an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz (1333MHz FSB), I upgraded to 1600 MHz memory since he felt they could get the FSB speed up during the over-clock.  They achieved 3.00GHz and 1714MHz for the CPU and FSB respectively.Big%20smile  For those of you wondering why there is water cooling capable OCZ memory when I have no water cooling, DigitalStorm offered to upgrade the 4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600MHz Dominator DHX (7,7,7,20) I ordered to 4GB DDR3 OCZ Flex XLC 1600MHz (6,6,6,18) at no additional cost since the Corsair memory was temporarily unavailable.  The full system spec can be found at http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=148838.  I have supplemented this with an additional 150GByte WD Raptor (will put Vista 64 bit on this), and 2 x 750GB WD Caviar disks for data.

I use my PC for 2 main applications, flight simulator and video editing.  FSX goes from being a painful 20 fps with mediocre slider settings on my old PC, to a 50-60 fps experience with all sliders and options maxed out.  I have yet to install the video editing software to see how much render times drop, somehow I do not think I am going to be disappointed.Wink

Why DigitalStorm?  Although I have built several PCs myself I have never ventured into the world of over-clocking.  I liked the ability to choose individual components as I have done in the past for my self-builds, and to decide exactly what I wanted to be over-clocked.  That together with the customer reviews and satisfaction ratings, and there is just no competition.  Many thanks DigitalStorm, keep up the good work.Clap

DS 850Si, 1000W Corsair HX, nVidia 790i Ultra, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (OC),
4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600MHz Dominator DHX, 150GB WD Raptor,
nVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB, Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel
Tripwire View Drop Down

Quote Tripwire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 2:41pm
Can't wait for mine...
950Si | 1000W C HX | Q9450 OC | 4GB C DDR2 1066MHz | 150GB WD(10K)+250GB WD(7200) | Air Cool 3 | 2x SLI 8800GTX OC | SB X-Fi FPS

Order-5/18
S1-5/20
2-5/22
3-6/9
4-6/9
5-6/9
6-6/16
7-6/17
Aich Shaoden View Drop Down

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 6:02pm
Amazing, I await mine, I want to play so many games.
Ordered: May 25 | Shipped: Jun 20 | Business Day: 19
850Si 1000W Corsair
Q9450 OC - 790i
4GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz + Fan Upgrade
250GB WD(7200) Air Stage 3
eVGA 9800GTX SLI
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 9:41pm
looks like a really amazing machine, i have no doubt youll enjoy it!
 Post Reply Post Reply