FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

swtor fps issues

Post Date: 2012-01-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
argyle View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote argyle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: swtor fps issues
    Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 2:00pm
for some reason i get fps drops in the old republic that sometimes go down to 20 fps when i have two 570s in sli. i am kind of at a loss about what to do any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 4:44pm
Much like WoW, SWtoR does not properly support SLI. SWtOR is actually worse and only runs on DX9. Try disabling SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel before playing SWtOR and see if you still have the issue.

SLI problems can be random and not affect everyone the same. There may be people playing in SLI that never have an issue when others do. By disabling SLI you can at least determine if that is what's causing the issue.

Also, where are you in game when you get the frame rate drop and what are you doing most often it happens? A frame rate drop in a major player hub is typically a network traffic or CPU issue and has nothing to do with your graphics processing. If your frame rates are dropping only when there are lots of players around and not in a fight with a lot of enemies it's probably not your GPUs causing the problem.

It's for those reasons that many people falsely claim that WoW depends more on your CPU then your GPU, which is just total bull. Your CPU only gets stressed in major cities because it's trying to process huge amounts of info from the server related to all the other players around. All MMOs are the same in that regard and SWtOR is no different. It's one of the reasons why some MMOs like SWtOR and AION using player phasing, to keep players separated into smaller groups.

Edited by jmaster299 - 01 Jan 2012 at 4:44pm

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 2:30pm
They say it cpu intensive cause when it comes to processing on heavy parts the cpu does, and its code is such bs, otherwise as jm299 said its not really cpu intensive.

Disable sli, some have reported better fps without sli for games like wow, let us know.
Sgt.Moore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sgt.Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 3:06pm
99% chance its the SWTOR game. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147732

100s of pages of people with FPS issues, some are SLI/Xfire some are sinlge gpu. Its a serious issue right now with that game. My brothers 560 runs it flawless and a guy I work with has a 580 and can't even play warzones due to the FPS drop.

Try disabling your SLI and see what happens but it looks as if it didn't work for thousands of others but you may be the lucky one Awesome
"RLTW"
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 6:37pm
LOL I feel a patch coming soon
Psychosooner View Drop Down

Quote Psychosooner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 4:30pm
I purchased an ODE level 1 yesterday mainly due to the horrible performance of SWTOR with my current machine. I can't wait to get my hands on it and hope that it solves my ills. It appears they are having numerous, massive problems. I hope some decent patches come along soon that address issues more critical than chat bugs. ATM I'd kill for 20fps.
Vulgor View Drop Down

Quote Vulgor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:10pm
This may sound simple, but download the latest driver. I was playing on the highest settings with phenominal fps, then a couple days ago it was lagging awful! I downloaded the latest driver and I'm back up to speed.
queloque View Drop Down

Quote queloque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:31am
I got my new computer last week and my FPS are a steady 111.  I was playing it on my gaming laptop before my desktop came in and I was getting no better than 20-50.    I was a bit nervous from all of the SWTOR post on the SWTOR forums, but for me, its been pretty awsome.  I have a single 570.
Najja View Drop Down

Quote Najja Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:11pm
How's SWTOR running for you guys percent wise on the GPU? According to EVGA Precision, the game is using on average 98% of my 580.
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:44pm
98% of what the VRam? That's possible depending on what resolution you are playing at.

redsoxfanatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote redsoxfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 11:26am
I play swtor and have tried with both SLI and only 1 570 enabled. Didnt notice a huge performance difference either way.

I do know that Bioware really screwed up big time in the design of their game. DirectX9, 32bit and poorly optimized code make for a terribly put together game
agentfive View Drop Down

Quote agentfive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 5:21am
I'm getting an ODE 2 in the next week (currently at Stage 5) and it has the 580 in it - is there anything I need to do to get SWTOR to run on it. In this thread the 570 seems preferred but will the 580 be okay? The main reason I'm upgrading my machine is to play SWTOR.
sbq View Drop Down

Quote sbq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 10:56am
when I was playing SWTOR I would see 95%+ GPU usage in MSI Afterburner (around 70c heat). I had almost all settings turned up, but no shadows, and playing on a single GTX 580 with a 27" monitor and in 2560 x 1440 res. My FPS would usually be locked at 60 (I have vsync turned on), though when I took the sky taxi's on some planets it would drop down to 20 in certain areas.
agentfive View Drop Down

Quote agentfive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 4:47am
After getting my Ode Level 2 this week - I can safely say SWTOR is running at 110fps most of the time and dips in a few areas - but looks amazing.
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by redsoxfanatic

I play swtor and have tried with both SLI and only 1 570 enabled. Didnt notice a huge performance difference either way.

I do know that Bioware really screwed up big time in the design of their game. DirectX9, 32bit and poorly optimized code make for a terribly put together game

Yeah, I have read stuff that suggests this.  I really am not sure how they messed this up.  I mean, did they develop this game completely shut off from the world  for the past 6 years?  To pick a game engine that does not take advantage of muti core CPUs or has bad coding........seems like bad planning.

Maybe this can be all upgraded, who knows, but while I like SWTOR, its something to do while I wait to see what this Tera Online game is like.

and if that sucks, I guess I go back to Dawn of War 2 or my PS2.
queloque View Drop Down

Quote queloque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 11:38am
I'm personally having the time of my life with SWTOR. No problems with me once I got my new rig. Level 34 Trooper.
Performance level for me I would say is above 90% satisfaction.
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by queloque

I'm personally having the time of my life with SWTOR. No problems with me once I got my new rig. Level 34 Trooper.
Performance level for me I would say is above 90% satisfaction.

Its a good game, I just expected a bit more.  Personally I think its a combo of my being tired of MMOs and quite frankly, has been a issue riddled release by Bioware.

They got a lot correct, but they also should have released the game later, like maybe 6 months later.  Of course I am not sure that would even avoid the bugs.  I find game devs to usually avoid the feedback from test servers that have negative comments on their "masterpiece".

Oh well, the game works now, holds my attention, and if I do not resub in April, well I don't feel that bad about the money I spent on it.

I expected more from the game, but while its not what I had in mind, its still a good game.
 Post Reply Post Reply