FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Switching from Mac to PC... No, to DS!!!

Post Date: 2014-05-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sangnomon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sangnomon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Switching from Mac to PC... No, to DS!!!
    Posted: 30 May 2014 at 4:12am
Hi guys,

I just want to say this is such a great community here and I feel a lot of love and passion from everyone and every post I've read! So thanks for that.

I've finally decided to switch to PC from Mac due to work/school. I have an 8-core Mac Pro from early 2009 and I started to feel the need for an upgrade after using Maya quite extensively over past couple of months.

Both my partner and I are in school at the moment and I'm planning to get 2 machines for each of us for slightly different usage. One will be used mostly for 3D modelling and texturing - Maya, Zbrush, Mari, and the other will be for animation, VFX and compositing - Maya, Nuke, After Effects, etc. My Mac Pro is still sweet for Photoshop and most of the applications that I use, but it really struggles when it comes to 3D stuff. I also realised my render time can be a lot faster with a better system.

When I started looking for PC, I was very attracted to the SFF style and I was more or less set on getting the Bolt 2. I think the level 4 set-up with 4770K CPU and 780 Ti would be plenty powerful for most of the things we do. However, I did start looking at the tower models after my girlfriend ever so casually said, "I'm gonna leave my machine on the floor. It takes too much space on my desk." It was after I showed her that beautiful photo of Bolt 2... The image that I had of those two machines - one black, one white, standing tall in their glory, side by side on our office desk - started to slowly fade away...
I just had to share that. Girlfriends are really great for changing your perspective... So I started to look at the towers and this is where I wanted to hear your opinion.

My budget is 8k-10k for both machines. The bolt 2 came up to around 4.5k with Titan Black and SSDs, and the tower models - Virtue and Slade - to about the same. I love the bolt 2 and Virtue, and I think the i7 4770K will be powerful enough, but I do have the option of going 6-core with Slade.

So, what do you guys think? What would you do?

Bolt for me, Virtue for her?
How about 6-core for me, and Quad-core for her?
Or both get Quad-core Virtues or Slades and don't fight over each other's machine?

Thanks heaps for reading guys, and sending much love from California!

Sang

Budget:
10K for two machines.

Expectations:
2 monitor set-up at the moment and possibility of 4k monitor in the future. I'd like both machines to last for the next 5 to 7 years.

Usage:
Machine 1 - 3D modelling and texturing - my partner.
Machine 2 - VFX and compositing, animation, video editing - myself.

Special Needs:
SSD, overclocking (is it necessary?), quiet, and the carpeted room can get a bit dusty...
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2014 at 6:53am
Welcome to the forums Sang. I would suggest you do some research into which of the applications can use GPU acceleration. A GPU will be better at the floating point math then a CPU. Also, look at the suggested system requirements for the software. Also, post on forums for the software you are going to be using and see what those communities suggest.

For SSDs, this will be your workspace for OS/Software and the active project you will be working on. You will want to have a bulk storage drive also for stuff that isn't actively being used on your current project.

Overclocking is good because it speed up the parts of the system doing the most of the work, the CPU and GPU(s). Most processors will have some room to be overclocked at least a bit and remain stable. If you are doing work on the system stability is going to be very important. So, you will have to way if the risk of stability to speed up the operations is worth it or not. There is also what many call the "Silicon Lottery", some chips will overclock better then others.

The Slade (Corair 550D), is a case designed to run quiet. It also comes with a filter for the intake fans. Cleaning the filter regularly will help with the dust. Also, tuning the fans to ensure there is more pressure coming from the intake fans then the exhaust fans is advisable. All current generation Asus motherboards are capable of controlling all the fan headers with their Fan Expert software.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2014 at 11:11am
Like danjw1 said, depending on the applications the GPU/CPU needs will change. If you really want the most future proofing, going with the 6-core yourself will give you the extra boost now and in the future. The extra VRAM on the Titan Black may help in certain scenarios but from what it seems, a lot of the programs you mentioned don't utilize double precision. In that case, you could go with a 780 Ti.

With that said, the Bolt II with a 4770K (4 core, 8 threads) is still plenty fast and will likely result in a minimal time difference considering a lot of the rendering will be done on the GPU itself.
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2014 at 4:28pm
If memory serves me, several of your graphics programs will take advantage of multiple cores so selecting a CPU with 6 or more cores (12 threads) will be useful. The other resource that will come in handy is memory. I recommend at least 16 GB for both machines. Another consideration is storage. An SSD is great for your operating system, but much of your work files and finished graphics will take up a large amount of space. Whichever system that you chose, please consider filling the available HDD space with suitable drives.

You didn't mention any games, the resolution of your monitors, or any peripherals (Wacom tablets, etc.) that you plan to use. That would be helpful to know.

Oh, will you be using any operating systems other than Windows?

Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2014 at 11:00pm
I looked up the software that you have listed in your post, made a few guesses about release levels and then tried to find a couple of sample configurations that you can compare and tinker with.

My guesses for your software are:
* Autodesk Maya 2014
* Pixologic Zbrush 4R6
* The Foundry Mari
* The Foundry Nuke
* Adobe After Effects CC

Maya seems to have the most restrictive system requirements with very specific list of approved graphics cards for each combination of Maya, OS, and GPU, even down to the approved driver. The two graphics cards and drivers that I picked to build systems around are:

NVIDIA Quadro K4000
NVIDIA Driver Release for Maya2014 EXT - Quadro/GeForce Desktop 320.78 - 64bit [9.18.13.2078]

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN
NVIDIA Driver Release for Maya2014 EXT - GeForce Desktop - 320.49 - 64bit

Since more than one of your applications will take advantage of multi-core processors I tried to find a suitable CPU for your builds.

Memory and storage space round out the items I concentrated on. Hopefully other more experienced hardware techies will offer even better suggestions.

The first possible system configuration is the workstation Slade Pro ($4,883.00)
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=985071

Specifications: 
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D Exterior
Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: 1x (Intel Xeon 8-Core E5-2650 v2 2.6GHz (20MB Cache) (Ivy Bridge-EP)
Motherboard: Single CPU (ASUS P9X79 WS (Chipset: Intel X79)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 840 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA Quadro K4000 3GB (Outputs: 1x DVI-I ; 2x DisplayPort 1.2)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Option Not Available
Boost Graphics Card(s): Option Not Available
Boost Memory: Option Not Available
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
The second system configuration is a gaming desktop, Slade ($5,034.00)
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=985102

Specifications: Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance) Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance) Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M Expansion Bay: - No Thanks Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO) Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition) Storage Set 3: - No Thanks RAID Config: - No Thanks RAID Card: - No Thanks Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB (Includes PhysX) Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio HPC Processor: - No Thanks Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition) H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Internal Lighting: - No Thanks Airflow Control: - No Thanks Chassis Mods: - No Thanks Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only) LaserMark: - No Thanks Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s) Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong> Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD) Virus Protection: - No Thanks Office: - No Thanks Game: - No Thanks Display: - No Thanks Surge Shield: - No Thanks Speakers: - No Thanks Keyboard: - No Thanks Mouse: - No Thanks Portable Gaming: - No Thanks Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
One last thought, since Maya has such very specific requirements for graphic cards drivers, please consider specifying which level of driver is needed in the notes section of your order.

Edited by Theokritos - 30 May 2014 at 11:22pm
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
sangnomon View Drop Down

Quote sangnomon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 2:54am
Wow! Thank you so much guys!

danjw1 - Thanks for your post. I haven't researched enough on the subject of floating point math or double precision, but that seems to be the only difference between 780Ti and Titan black besides the memory. From what I've read, it has same number of CUDA core and the performance difference seems to be quite minimal... But once again, it all depends on the software like you said. After your comment on stability issue, I started considering maxed-out configuration Virtue. I feel like more space, and the choices of hardware felt more "solid" than the Bolt 2. Bolt 2 is an amazing machine but the mid-tower casing of Virtue seems a bit more stable. Would you agree?

Nav - Thanks! Your post made me think that going 6-core would be perhaps a bit of an overkill. Also, same for the GPU. 780Ti will be a huge upgrade from my current system. I also wanted to ask you what your opinion is on Virtue vs Bolt 2. Would you recommend Virtue over Bolt 2 if small form factor was not the priority?

Theokritos! - Wow, thank you for your research as well as your configuration. You got me thinking again about the 6-cores. As I steer away from Bolt 2 and move to tower style PCs, I can't help but to consider 6-cores which are not offered on smaller systems. It seems logical to get as much power in CPU for the budget and I think you have the right idea for that.
In terms of GPU, I think I'll have to stick with the Geforce line coz I might get into some games too:) Slade seems to be the most expansive system with most options so I'm definitely considering it once again. I think what I might end up doing is get a Slade for myself Virtue for my partner. You got me thinking that efficiently distributing the budget to the right areas in the system is the key to finding the right set-up. Thanks for that!!!

Thank you so much guys!!!!
I'll continue to ponder and configure, and keep you updated!

Sang
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 5:57am
Originally posted by sangnomon

Wow! Thank you so much guys!

danjw1 - Thanks for your post. I haven't researched enough on the subject of floating point math or double precision, but that seems to be the only difference between 780Ti and Titan black besides the memory. From what I've read, it has same number of CUDA core and the performance difference seems to be quite minimal... But once again, it all depends on the software like you said. After your comment on stability issue, I started considering maxed-out configuration Virtue. I feel like more space, and the choices of hardware felt more "solid" than the Bolt 2. Bolt 2 is an amazing machine but the mid-tower casing of Virtue seems a bit more stable. Would you agree?

Yes, it is the same GPU on both, and both are fully enabled.

The Virtue would allow for up to two graphics cards. While the Bolt only supports one, the graphics card's fans will be right up against a grill for pulling air into the heatsink of the graphics card. The card sits in a cage above the motherboard tray. I haven't used a Bolt, so it is hard to say if this would improve thermals. But it seems that this design would have the better thermals. All that said, I do not know if the Bolt has any fan filters, since you expect the environment to be to be dusty, you might be better off with the Virtue.

I looked around a bit, and at least for Maya, from the benchmarks I saw that it performed better on a system with an i7-4770K then on a i7-4960X. Also that it works better with a work station GPU then a desktop GPU. I can't say if this is true of the other programs you are going to be using. Also, the benchmarks I looked at were for the Titan not the Titan Black (the testing was done last October, which are before the Titan Black was released). That said, for around the same price you as the Titan Black you could get a Quadro K4000. Given my limited research you might be better off with something along these lines: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=985192

Intel is supposed to launch the Devil's Canyon CPUs (a refresh of the current desktop processors) on June 2nd. There is a rumor that this will only be a paper launch. That is just a couple days away at the this point, so it would be worth waiting to see.

Edited by danjw1 - 31 May 2014 at 6:06am

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 11:57am
Here is a little follow up for my research and recommendations.

A couple of my assumptions are:
* When buying hardware the customer gets only one chance to get everything right, afterwards all changes cost more money.
* Software system requirements drive the configuration.

Of the five applications that you listed, Autodesk Maya seems to be the most restrictive in its system requirements. Change the version of Maya or the version of the operating system and the GPU requirements and drivers change too. Please note that the most current graphics drivers may not work well with Maya.

All five applications can run on Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit).

Maya and Zbrush will take advantage of multiple cores. A quad-core CPU appears to be the minimum that will run all five applications.

Mari loves memory. No value is listed, but the 32 GB that is the default on most workstations is probably a good target.

Zbrush does its own rendering rather than the GPU so it will benefit from a good fast multi-core, multi-thread CPU and memory.

Nuke utilizes parallel processing in CUDA cores so the number of CUDA cores and GPU memory will impact Nuke's performance.

Of the four applications that list tested and approved GPUs, the NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (a workstation card) is common to all four. The NVIDIA GTX Titan (a gaming rig card) is listed for two: Maya and After Effects, but may work for all.

References:

Autodesk Maya
Pixologic Zbrush
The Foundry Mari
The Foundry Nuke
Adobe After Effects CC

* Select the version (year) of Maya, then after reviewing the basic requirements and notes, locate and select the Recommended Hardware Wizard. Fill in the fields and generate a list of Graphics cards. Select a card that interests you and then see what drivers are tested and certified to work with Maya.

Now for a bit of philosophy. I view PC workstations as somewhat like a plough horse and PC gaming rigs as somewhat like a race horse. The workstation is great for all "heavy lifting" software tasks, but may not perform as well with high end games. Gaming rigs will play high end games at great frame rates, but may have to work harder and longer when it comes to "heavy lifting" software tasks.

Edited by Theokritos - 31 May 2014 at 12:26pm
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 12:07pm
Thanks Theokritos for your research. Looks like a 6-core is the way to go.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 3:25pm
Cool Happy to be of help.
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
sangnomon View Drop Down

Quote sangnomon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 5:58pm
Thanks for the replies guys.

danjw1- I'll definitely wait for the new processors. I was planning to put the order in for the beginning of July, so hopefully DS will be carrying them by then. But who knows.... I follow rumour sites for cameras and we never know until it's totally official.... Cheers for all the research and configuration too. I have been looking at the quadro GPUs too but I have a question.

Theokritos - thanks so much for the research!! Nice analogy there as well. So I have a question for you guys...

K4000 and 780Ti, both being very powerful but for different purpose, would you say it will be significantly better to get K4000 for work and play games on it rather than get 780Ti and make it work for the 3D program's? I know it's a tricky question coz we're comparing two different things, but I wanted to hear your opinion and how you would weigh the differences out.

Thanks a lot guys!!!
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 11:07pm
The 780 Ti is a very capable productivity card as well with its GK110. If you try and game on the K4000, you will sacrifice a lot in that department.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 12:23am

K4000 and 780Ti, both being very powerful but for different purpose, would you say it will be significantly better to get K4000 for work and play games on it rather than get 780Ti and make it work for the 3D program's? I know it's a tricky question coz we're comparing two different things, but I wanted to hear your opinion and how you would weigh the differences out.

I double checked the Maya Hardware Wizard for the 2013, 2014, and 2015 versions. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780Ti was not listed as a certified card for any of the three versions. The only NVIDA GeForce GTX cards listed as certified are the 690 and Titan, but only for the 2014 and 2015 versions. Maya 2013 is all workstation cards.

If your principal need is to run all five graphics applications for school and / or work then I recommend that you select suitable workstation hardware.

If you do decide to go with a gaming desktop for one or both of your computers then you probably should limit your graphics cards to either the 690 or the Titan. Pick another and it may - or may not run Maya.

The 780Ti is a sweet, sweet card in a gaming desktop. It probably would run Nuke quite well, but it will serve best running high-end games.

If life's responsibilities dictate two workstations, then take a peek at the Vanquish II level 4 as a possible 3rd PC - just for gaming. Its easy on the budget and gives good performance for the money.

Good luck -- and choose wisely.

Edited by Theokritos - 01 Jun 2014 at 12:30am
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
sangnomon View Drop Down

Quote sangnomon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 1:00am
Cheers Theokritos. I think I might get the Titan Black. I think it's a good meeting point between work and play. I'll contact Maya guys to see it's compatible as well. I don't see why not tho...

Nav, you're totally right. I've been reading that the quadro GPUs are just not built for gaming at all.

Let's see what happens on Monday with these new processors. Perhaps I will wait a little for the upgraded CPU.

Thanks heaps guys! I might go and watch Raiders now!!

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 9:58am

Cheers Theokritos. I think I might get the Titan Black. I think it's a good meeting point between work and play. I'll contact Maya guys to see it's compatible as well. I don't see why not tho...

You have probably heard the hackneyed saying "The devil is in the details"? With Maya and graphics cards, the "devil is in the drivers" may be an appropriate revision.

When you chat with the Maya folks, please inquire about the drivers along with the graphics card. Looking through the driver details on the Hardware Wizard, I noticed that some of the current NVIDIA drivers seem to have issues with Maya. Or is that the other way around? Either way, current NVIDIA drivers are great for games, but may not always be great for Maya. vOv

Good luck. Whatever your choice of hardware, you're about to get some great machines from a fantastic company.
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
sangnomon View Drop Down

Quote sangnomon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:56am
Hey guys, long time to see. Thanks Theokritos for your last message.
The guys at Maya forum are not as active or helpful as here, so I ended up asking the technician at my school and got an ok for the graphic cards.

However, an interesting point that I learnt is that the top end graphic cards will be bit of an overkill for most 3D applications as it's really the games that demand much more power and that's what these cards are built for.

I decided to get two Bolt2s. I'm trying to get away from my bulky Mac Pro and decided to go as small as possible. As I start to narrow down configuration for bolt 2s, I'm starting to ask similar questions on each of the components of the machine.

Motherboard - Is it worth getting the Maximus VI impact or is Z97I-Plus sufficient enough? If it's better to get Maximus, is it worth waiting for the Maximus VII?
SSD - Is 840 Pro better than 840 Evo? Is there a significant difference in performance/stability?
RAM - Is it worth getting the Dominator RAM? What about 2400 Vengeance Pro? Can you tell the difference once it goes over 1866?
Overclocking - Do I need to overclock everything? Stage 2 CPU and max out the GPU and OS also?

I feel like once you get to a certain level, there is only a marginal difference between the top end products and the high end stuff. Which makes me ask the same question, "Is the upgrade gonna make the performance significantly better and faster?"

I also decided to get, if my budget allows, LG 34UM95 which is 3440x1440 resolution. Do you think 780Ti will support this monitor for games in max settings? If not, I'll probably get the Titan Black...

Thanks guys for your help again. I'm back with many questions once again but I think I'll seal the deal by the end of the week for sure.

Thanks so much!!

peace
Sang

p.s. I saw another thread on building a future proof Bolt 2 and you guys were having similar discussions, but I'd like to get my system ready by next term which is in July which makes the decision making slightly different...!
 Post Reply Post Reply