FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SW:TOR

Post Date: 2011-04-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <12345 7>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Obfuscate View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Obfuscate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 2:05pm
That's a valid concern about GW2, I think. If they can pull off everything they're trying to, though, the game has the potential to be revolutionary. I'm personally really glad that they've ditched the traditional healer-tanker-DDer paradigm -- in my experience, such rigidly defined class roles promote conformity, not flexibility.

I am, however, still keeping an occasional eye on TOR, if only because I loved both KotOR games. I just hope the finished product is less cheesy than what I've seen thus far.
I have to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not crazy!
aCi11i3s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aCi11i3s Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 3:41pm
I'm actually concerned about the lack of traditional roles for each player in GW2.  I mean, if it aint broke, dont fix it.  Everyone is just going to try and melt faces with no predetermined roles.
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 2:04pm
Believe it or not, there are many people who are sick of the trinity, but simply don't know how to break away from it. GW2 is doing that, and if they are successful, it's going to impact the genre as a whole. Swtor with it's cinematic story telling already influenced GW2 and they have it in their game as well. Most of the stuff is voiced in that game as well, though there is no dialogue wheel. TOR, and GW2 have a chance to change alot in the genre and I hope they do.

On that note, the makers of Rift are actually trying to make another MMO that will go along with a SyFy TV show, where content in game affects the show. Insane I know. Eve online is also trying to mix their world with a FPS game. If they succeed, people will be gaming on Consoles and PC's with a first person shooter game, held in the Eve universe and people on the ground ask for assistance from people in the air. People are really pushing the envelope, and I have a feeling MMO's are going to be turned on their head in the next 10 years. Gonna be exciting to see, but for now, I just wanna play SWTOR. Ugh
Phan7om View Drop Down

Quote Phan7om Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Marino

Bioware has really sucked at releasing good updates to the SW:TOR community. 

I agree 100% with you on that. I have been following TOR for 2 years and I must say I am still looking forward to it. And if you are like me and hate waiting www.leakerz.net and you will find alot on TOR. Its coming along very well according to the leaked gameplay.
Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 2:07pm

Hey TOR fans!  If this was actually real, would you buy it?  The cost seems awfully steep for a collector's edition.

Proud owner of an ODE-3 (version 1).
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 4:49pm
I probably won't even get it at all now. EA is pulling a lot of really dick moves lately to try and promote their horrible ass digital game distribution system, Origin.

First they got Crysis 2 pulled from Steam for breaking contract by not letting Steam sell the DLCs, now they're making SW:TOR an Origin exclusive, can't get it from Steam or any other digital distribution system, you have to get Origin.

They can keep their game, they're not going to get my money pulling that kind of crap. I'll stick with GW2.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 1:20pm
well it seems that article did have some truth behind it. you can pre order starting today along with the option to get that insane collectors edition. you don't have to buy it only at origin dragoon you can pre order a box copy like usual :D.
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 3:36pm
I bought it, the deluxe not the CE.

I bought it mainly because, well....I am in my 30's and a geek.  Star Wars is sewn into the fabric of the toys and lore I grew up on.  Nostalgia basically.  To be able to create and develop an avatar into a jedi or sith?  Yes.

Now, a few tidbits of info to pass to you all:

You need an EA or Origin account to get the game.  You need a SW:ToR account to redeem the pre-order code.  They claim that if you have one of each already that they will merge and work, that is false as of now.  I have 2 different logins (email and passcode) for each site.

I redeemed the code with no issue, but I can not change the email of either to be the same as this causes an error.  Of course I am confident that they will merge both like Blizzard did with wow game accounts and the battle.net accounts.

This may scare some as EA and Dragon Age games never played well between the damn websites either.  So I am hoping that they just make it so you can merge both and remember one log in.  I am also hoping that they offer authenticators to protect the accounts.  You can get a physical authenticator now with the CE package............but that is a ridiculous amount of cash to drop just to get that.

I could care less about a 15 inch figurine of darth malus or whatever his name is.

So Dragoon, I understand your ire, and it may all burn around us, but I am hoping this game works out as my last hurrah into mmos for a bit.

I am not sure why Bioware is always attached to EA?  I assume that EA owns bioware like activision owns blizzard?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 4:13pm
Yes, EA bought BioWare a few years back. Dragoon, while I can feel where you are coming from with Origin, they will still be getting my money. As a matter of fact they already did. There are tons of things that have come to light just today that have thrown the community into a frenzy. Trust me, Origin is the least problematic thing going on right now. Early access seems to be going by a first pre order first serve basis as not to blow up the servers on launch. Not only that but the game is actually not releasing in quite a few countries in EU, and most surprisingly, Australia. They have no definitive release window for the Aussies. I can't tell you how bad I feel for some of the people I've gamed with from down there who have been following this game since 08, only to find it's not releasing for them at the same time as NA and the Select countries in EU.

All that said, I've been following this game closely from first hand accounts to beta test leaks and footage, and despite everything it's still worth it. Is it an amazingly innovative MMO, not at all. It is however a very solid, Star Wars MMO, and the continuation of a story I fell in love with since back in my KoTor days. Either way, if you really don't end up playing Swtor, you'll be fine with GW2, as I truly believe based on what I know of Swtor, that it will be a much better game innovation and gameplay wise.
aCi11i3s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aCi11i3s Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 12:28pm

DroolingPreordered the CE yesterday!  Cant wait to play in 2013...lol.  Seems like it will never get here.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 10:48pm
its been confirmed by EA the old republic will be out this year.
Bronwen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bronwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 11:36am
Yup got my CE preordered and ready for it to drop. ;) Also can't wait to check out GW2.

Bron
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Bronwen

Yup got my CE preordered and ready for it to drop. ;) Also can't wait to check out GW2.

Bron

yea same here, got some good games coming out in the near future
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 1:29pm
for anyone that was in question if they could run this game

Minimum System Requirements
OS Windows XP, Vista/7

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM • Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM •
PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM recommended.

ATI X1800 or better* • nVidia 7800 or better* • Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*

8x or better DVD-ROM

*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.
Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:06pm
So the ODE 3 should run TOR just fine then. Strong
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Jawa

So the ODE 3 should run TOR just fine then. Strong

easily, im running 570's at 1920x1080 in sli and i typically get 70-100 fps with everything maxed out.   

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 28 Jul 2011 at 2:25am
Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:35am
Rice, are you in TOR beta testing?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 1:25pm
maybe....
Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:37pm
Rock on, man!   Wonder what the framerate will be like in a 20man operation with all the detail up.

Just curious--what is your CPU at?  DS torqued my 2600K up to 4.7Ghz. Awesome So if yours is similar...70-100 beautiful fps here we come!

Can't wait for those September beta weekends. :D
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 3:04pm

Rock on, man!   Wonder what the framerate will be like in a 20man operation with all the detail up.

Just curious--what is your CPU at?  DS torqued my 2600K up to 4.7Ghz. Awesome So if yours is similar...70-100 beautiful fps here we come!

Can't wait for those September beta weekends. :D

im at 4.5ghz here. There hasn't been any formal testing but at the kind of speeds we have our cpu's at the game is more gpu bound than anything probaly.
Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 3:14pm

That could definitely be the case.  Speaking of, are your gpu's OC'd at all?  TOR shouldn't require that, but if you're seeing those great frame rates with stock cards, then as DST would say, 'no sense in increasing the load if you're not going to see a tangible benefit' (or something to that effect).  On the other hand, if you did OC your cards, I'd think about doing whatever you did to get those frame rates to hover just above 60 fps.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 3:16pm
nope my cards arent even overclocked =) GPU load hovers right around 30-50% and goes up to sometimes like 70% on each card. Its obvious the game hasnt been optimized to work with sli just yet. Performance should keep going up. Who knows though what kind of graphical changes will happen before the game comes out though.

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 28 Jul 2011 at 3:17pm
Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 3:20pm
That is very interesting!  And good news, too, for the most part.  I wonder where SLI is on BioWare's to-do list.  Probably not required to go to launch.

Thank you for taking all the questions, Rice.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:30am
no problem jawa :D
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 12:38am
In a bout of razor sharp irony, I seem to have gotten into the beta. Guess I'll use the time to figure out if I actually want to buy it or not. Smile

Any other DSers aside from Rice in the beta? I could use some friends to group with.
Lilim
Bensonc120 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 4:26pm
I did not get the beta invite but look me up at launch!
Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB)
Dell U3011 Monitor
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

In a bout of razor sharp irony, I seem to have gotten into the beta. Guess I'll use the time to figure out if I actually want to buy it or not. SmileAny other DSers aside from Rice in the beta? I could use some friends to group with.

Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 11:13am
Seems like they are opening up Beta to more and more people.  Getting close to an actual "Open" Beta perhaps?  Awesome
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 4:52pm

Seems like they are opening up Beta to more and more people.  Getting close to an actual "Open" Beta perhaps?  Awesome

hopefully this is a sign of release coming sooner than later(before the end of year has been confirmed)
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:46am
Originally posted by aCi11i3s

I'm actually concerned about the lack of traditional roles for each player in GW2.  I mean, if it aint broke, dont fix it.  Everyone is just going to try and melt faces with no predetermined roles.

Lol I'm sorry aC, but this is totally off.  If it ain't broke don't fix it?  It is broke!  Most games are designed around a holy trinity mechanic, and then PvP is built after this.  PvE is illogical in the real world, because most mobs would not attack the beefiest guy while heavy hitters take his health away, and healers keep the meat shield up.  Those type of roles are horribly boring and fixated.  Also, PvP balance is thus stuck in a rock, paper, scissors rut..  "Not hating on those who like the holy trinity, but as a long time vet I am sick and tired of it"

I just got back from playing GW2 PvP this weekend, and all I can say is it blew my mind.  It is sooooo fast paced, and feels more like an fps than an mmo.  What you aren't getting is that people do assume roles in GW2, but it isn't fixated.  You can change your roles depending on the situation.  ArenaNet actually developed their own trinity, support, damage, control.  Each class can assume these roles, but they are linked to your weapon sets, or special mechanics for a couple classes.  However, there is no class that can sit there and keep the team alive, while everyone else just dishes out dmg.  In fact, that is more of a try to melt face situation with a whack a mole experience for the healer.

For example, I played a Guardian.  My build was Greatsword mainhand, and Mace Shield offhand.  My build idea was to constantly buff my team with swiftness through a dmg. aoe that also boosts run speed, to grant Vigor "Increases Health Amount" and Swiftness "Faster Run Speed", while dishing out some good dmg. with my Greatsword and granting some minor health regen. with a teleport ability that would be placed on nearby allies when telporting, and I would swap to my Mace Shield in combat and continue to do some good dmg. but also put out shields that protect my allies and do dmg. to enemies attacking.   This is just a rough summary of the build, but what I did was choose weapons and my utility skills "Your 5 Right Skills"  to make a front line pressure char that also grants some good support to allies in the fray. 

There is no "if" GW2 can accomplish these things, go read all the impressions of those who have gotten their hands on it.  I played the PvP and was awestruck on how fun and fast paced it was.  It literally has put me in a state to where I cannot touch any other MMO's out right now.  This game is going to be great, and they actually have great ambitions for it to go big in the E-Sport world. 

Obfuscate View Drop Down

Quote Obfuscate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 7:02am
^ That's great news. It's important to take hype/marketing with the proverbial grain of salt, but if you've actually played the game (at least in its current demo build) and found it fast and fun, that's very encouraging indeed.

I hope the game comes out sooner rather than later, because after reading stuff like this, I can't get interested in any other MMO. Big%20Smile
I have to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not crazy!
Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 11:37am
Saw some PAX info where they said more SW:TOR Beta invites are going out on September 2nd.  So if you're not already signed up to test, there's no time like the present.Awesome
Bronwen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bronwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 11:48am
All I can say is that when the game comes out I know I will be enjoying SW:TOR. Big%20Smile Now if I can see what GW2 is like. I enjoyed the first one so I have a feeling i will like the next one.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

In a bout of razor sharp irony, I seem to have gotten into the beta. Guess I'll use the time to figure out if I actually want to buy it or not. SmileAny other DSers aside from Rice in the beta? I could use some friends to group with.

I've been following this game for years, and no beta for me. Hopefully I'll get in later this week, but as I have a -100 luck stat, I think there's a distinct possibility I'll never see beta for this game. I'm so totally jelly. RAGE!!11one
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Invader Mig

I've been following this game for years, and no beta for me. Hopefully I'll get in later this week, but as I have a -100 luck stat, I think there's a distinct possibility I'll never see beta for this game. I'm so totally jelly. RAGE!!11one

To be fair, I had been signed up for the beta since Jan 2009, over 31 months. As a huge KOTOR 2 fan I had been gleefully looking forward to it in the past, it was only recently that EA decided to start being complete dicks and leave a bad salty taste in my mouth that I decided to hit them where it hurts by not giving them my money and getting the game. I'll let the beta time be final factor in whether I follow through with that and bite back or if I end up just swallowing my morals (and EA's semen) and buying the game anyway.

As someone else mentioned, I've read from a few places that they're going to start having beta weekends starting next month, so don't give up hope just yet.
Lilim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>