FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SSD Configuration Question

Post Date: 2014-11-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Smarmy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SSD Configuration Question
    Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 11:20am
It's typical to get a smaller SSD for the system drive and a large hard drive for the game/data/app drive. If you wanted to have games on an SSD as well, what how would you set them up? For instance, you could have a 1 TB SSD for both. However, SSDs can saturate SATA 3. Might it be better to have a smaller SSD(256 GB) for the system and a larger one(1 TB) for the games/data/apps? Another option is to set up 2 500 GB or so drives as RAID 0. I'm not a big fan of that option because raiding them complicates setting them up later in their own enclosure when the PC becomes obsolete. What say you?

--Slarty
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:18pm
I use a raid 0 with two ssd's for my C drive to house my windows and applications. I then have a 1TB SSD to house all of my games and then I have 4TB HDD for data storage (movies, music, etc..).

Not really that hard. You just install windows on the SSD you want, set it up in your boot priority just like you would do any time you have more than one storage device, and you're good to go.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 4:18pm
Thanks Meller. As I mentioned I'm not a fan of RAID because it's harder to use it in it's own enclosure after retiring the PC. Of course, it might not matter if I just recycle them as single drives. I found thlis performance test. Perhaps for me, I'd be better off with one 256 GB system driver and a 1 TB drive for the apps/programs and perhaps one hard drive as well.

--Slarty
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 4:34pm
Yes, a lot of the performance has to do with the drive controller and RAID controller. Some of the drives now use SLC NAND in a small portion of the drive for very high performance. Another thing drive manufacturers are doing is putting in more DRAM for a cache buffer.

If you want the highest performance, set up a RAM drive by allocating memory to store a program. You'll need to find a RAM drive program, but there are many out there, several of which are free (some may have a limitation on the size you can set up, etc., for the free version). You will want more memory in your system, however, as this cuts down on available memory, on top of the memory reserved for use by the operating system.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 4:17am
RAM drives aren't really useful unless you have a lot of memory to be loading things up. I mean, even if you have 32GB of RAM, it's still hard to create a ram disk for games given the fact that a lot of newer games are taking up 20GB-50GB on average.

They do offer very fast performance, but they are really temp drives, than anything long term.

I'm confused as to what your question is then Smarmy. You're clearly against RAID's even though I felt like that was part of the original question.

Keeping two drives in a raid as you move them from PC to PC isn't impossible. It depends on the raid controller really. The old 775 motherboards used nvidia's built in controller, then 1155 came out and it moved to intel. In that case you can't restore the raid drives. But moving from intel to intel, you can, and so forth.

If you don't want to raid, then don't. Get a 256GB for your C:/ and another SSD that is larger for your games and applications. I was merely giving you my layout as I'm really unsure as to what exactly you want me to say or answer.

Don't want a raid, fine. Windows (C:/), then another SSD for games and apps, and possibly a larger 2TB-4TB for music and movies if you really want.

So, if you could better mention what your question is, perhaps I can give you a better answer. -_-
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply