FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So with the 680 out...

Post Date: 2012-03-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darbebo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: So with the 680 out...
    Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:19am
I wanted to know, people said

"Once the 680 comes out, the 570 card builds should be lowered in price"

so far, i don't see it happening yet, i just want to confirm this fact.

anyone see their rig dropped by a bit yet?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:30am
Alex did say a few days ago the price on 570's might stay the same until their inventory lowers.  They need to charge according to what they paid.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:38am

Prices for the GTX 570/580 won't drop for a while as we have to clear inventory. The price drops will not be that large.

darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:41am
darn
Rabelais View Drop Down

Quote Rabelais Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 9:18am
I was playing with the configurator, and I noticed that the price difference between the "no thanks I'll install my own" and gtx 6802GB was $690. I thought this was supposed to be a sub $500 card. Did I do the math wrong or is the markup really that aggressive?

In unrelated news, what happened to the raven? Did your new vertical cooling offering displace it?

Now all we need is the new intel chips to ship and everything will be roses.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 12:22pm
The Raven is a older chassis so we replaced it with newer offerings.
Paladin555 View Drop Down

Quote Paladin555 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Rabelais

I was playing with the configurator, and I noticed that the price difference between the "no thanks I'll install my own" and gtx 6802GB was $690. I thought this was supposed to be a sub $500 card. Did I do the math wrong or is the markup really that aggressive?

I am ordering a new pc soon and i am confused why the 680s cost the extra 190 dollars as you said they are 500 dollar cards because of this i cannot afford sli. :(
whieb View Drop Down

Quote whieb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 12:52pm
the markup is confusing, especially if you look at the 7970 which retail is 50$ more than the 680. but here at DS the 680 is 50$ more than the 7970.

doesn't make sense.
hi.
josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josephlee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 1:00pm
Wondering that too. Supply and demand I suppose. Limited supply right now so DS can charge a premium for those willing to pay for the latest and greatest.
Paladin555 View Drop Down

Quote Paladin555 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 1:07pm
I can understand wanting to charge a premium and making extra money because the card is in limited supply but is 190 extra pushing that just a bit when the card averages for 500? I think i might wait for the card to drop some more now actually like to 500 or 550ish before i order a brand new pc and maybe then i can get sli who knows....
whieb View Drop Down

Quote whieb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 1:31pm
i can understand the supply and demand stuff, but when the competetion ( wont name but you know who i am talking about) is charging less for the 680 than the 580, thats a big difference
hi.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 2:17pm
You can't do the configurator that way. DS has to install and test the GPU and the cost you are seeing probably reflects that. Pricing a computer is not a simple thing and prices have to reflect cost and profit. The one thing that DS has to base their prices on is how much they paid for this batch of 680s. We have to expect some premium since it is so new.

The 680 is only priced $36 more than the 580 3Gb. Well worth it in my mind.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 2:36pm
I agree with Frank.    To order a Pc without a gpu means DS has to install a gpu,test the rig and then uninstall the gpu. That has to cost extra.   Plus, $55 more for the 680 over the 7970 is also well worth it.    We can't expect DS to charge what newegg, forexample charges for parts.   DS assembles, tests and supports what they sell and have to turn a reasonable profit, otherwise they wouldn't be here.    

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Mar 2012 at 3:05pm
Minka View Drop Down

Quote Minka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I agree with Frank.    To order a Pc without a gpu means DS has to install a gpu,test the rig and then uninstall the gpu. That has to cost extra.   Plus, $55 more for the 680 over the 7970 is also well worth it.    We can't expect DS to charge what newegg, forexample charges for parts.   DS assembles, tests and supports what they sell and have to turn a reasonable profit, otherwise they wouldn't be here.    

Can I like this post? :D
whieb View Drop Down

Quote whieb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 3:33pm
that makes sense to a point in my opinion, ya 55$ more than the 7970 is worth it performance wise. why would they charge more for the 680 when its a cheaper priced card than the 7970?   doesn't make sense.    especially when the competition is pricing the card properly, some are even making it cheaper than the 580.    

i agree that they shouldn't charge newegg pricing if they did that they would go out of business right away lol. but charging 690$ for a 499$ card is a little much in my opinion.

Edited by whieb - 23 Mar 2012 at 3:34pm
hi.
jmo195 View Drop Down

Quote jmo195 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:41pm
I'll say this, as someone who just purchased a pretty expensive rig from DS with SLI 680's: Yes, the mark-up is high for the 680, however, when you take into consideration the entire price for the computer, it is either competitive or less than any reputable builder (my use of the word reputable eliminates a few lower priced competitors due to a large number of negative reviews).

I could price out a lower priced computer using the same parts I chose for my own rig. That would relegate me to --------------  and -------------- , who I would never purchase from. I've seen their computers, they are atrocious.

Now, while other reputable builders may offer the 680 for less money, the overall cost of the system is higher. Warranty, other parts besides the GPU, they all add up, and I find at the end of the day they are a worse value than Digital Storm.

While some of them may price slightly lower for parts, most don't include the comprehensive 3 year warranty without extra cost, and many of the lower priced 680's end up costing more overall when valuating the entire computer.

I've purchased computers from DS before. They build them properly and they provide excellent customer service. I understand the shock value of the mark-up might be a deterrent, but you really should look at all the factors before using that as a reason not to buy from DS. Just to reiterate, I priced my exact same computer at 3 "competitors," who all offered the 680 for less, and the price was still a few hundred dollars more than DS.

[EDIT: Competitor names removed - Alex]

Edited by Alex - 24 Mar 2012 at 12:53pm
whieb View Drop Down

Quote whieb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:48pm
oh i would never suggest ---------- or -------------- lol, i dont even know how those places are still in business. im sure alex will be here soon to edit out their names lol :P

it may hold true on your system but from the sounds of it your system was a lot higher end build $$$ wise which ds does do pretty good at.   its the mid range where they loose badly. i priced out 3 different rigs with the 680 on some of the better competitors in the $2000-$3000 range and with the exact same parts, 3 year warranties etc they came out to be ~ $400 less.   not saying anyone should go with them, cause they are no better or worse than DS. just simply pointing out the price differences.    i just wish there was a company that would provide the quality parts/customer service etc without being so greedy, now that would be a succesful business! lol

look forward to hearing what kind of fps and performance you get jmo!

To get back to the original post, i don't see why DS wouldn't drop the price of the 570 (after they sell off their supply they paid more for) since the pricing of the card itself has dropped and will continue dropping.

[EDIT: Competitor names removed - Alex]

Edited by Alex - 24 Mar 2012 at 12:54pm
hi.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 12:51pm
Prices are determined on various factors. Supply versus demand is a strong factor, there is a short supply on the GTX 680's which drives up the price. In addition, we only update the prices after inventory is refreshed with lower priced items. In addition, each item has a higher/lower failure rate, items with higher failure rates are marked up higher to cover customer support/warranty, etc... There's also installation, testing, etc... There's a lot that gets put into a price than simply just buying a card and comparing it to someone like NewEgg's pricing model or any e-tailer.
whieb View Drop Down

Quote whieb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 1:00am
that makes sense on a new product, but on an existing product that you have all ready priced accordingly (building, shipping, testing cost, failure rate etc etc)   all that is changing now is how much it costs you to get the card.   lets say the card drops 40$ in price, why would you continue to charge the same price you did before? to me that is just being selfish.     

and as i said before i understand charging the same for current stock, but when you replenish the prices should drop.   
hi.
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 1:20am
Originally posted by whieb

that makes sense on a new product, but on an existing product that you have all ready priced accordingly (building, shipping, testing cost, failure rate etc etc)   all that is changing now is how much it costs you to get the card.   lets say the card drops 40$ in price, why would you continue to charge the same price you did before? to me that is just being selfish.     

and as i said before i understand charging the same for current stock, but when you replenish the prices should drop.   

Well, what Alex was saying is, that since they have to build computers, they have to buy those vid cards before hand, meaning that they have to stock up the 570s (at least a number of them)

so when they get them before the 680 came out, they woulda gotten it at the higher price (since 680 didn't come out yet), but when 680 came out, sure the price drop, but that didn't mean that their acquisition price of the ones they already have in inventory go down.

they still bought it at the high price from before.

So if they have sold all the ones they bought from the high original price and they start to buy more 570 at the new lower price, we may see the price drop :(

so of course, the question is, how much inventory do they have and would they really switch down the price quickly when that happens or still keep the mark up the way it is?
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 1:24am
I really hope they have some kinda sale soon though..dying here LOL
whieb View Drop Down

Quote whieb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 1:31am
ya and like i said in multiple posts i agree with them selling current stock at normal pricing lol, its just when they re up there is literally no reason they shouldn't drop the price on them. besides greed.   that's basically what i am getting at lol
hi.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 9:48am

Moving thread to "Hardware Discussion" as this is not a post in regards to help with a configuration.

Minka View Drop Down

Quote Minka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 2:44pm
Only thing I have to say is, "Wake up people, DS has bills to pay!"
They have to pay their employees, they have to pay for shipping, they have to pay for each part they repair or replace for Three Years, they have to pay for their facility, water, electric, etc. This is not greed, this is called running a business! Lol
whieb1 View Drop Down

Quote whieb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:24pm
insta ban? thats cool lol.       like i have said like 10 times now, i understand them having to pay bills. all that i am saying is AS OF NOW the only thing that has changed is the cost for them to get the card.   THATS IT, no other changes.

let me try to use an analogy you guys might be able to understand. lets say with the recent 570 price drop, newegg never dropped their price when they started getting the card for 40$ cheaper.   would that be fair?   no.   DS is doing the same thing here.
sdelu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdelu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:05pm
The issue is with you calling them greedy, not with your idea.

It's supply and demand. If people are willing to pay 690 for a card that's their decision and their problem, not Digital Storm's. You do not have to buy a card from them -- nobody does.

Newegg is also a completely different beast than a place like Digital Storm. Apples and oranges, really.

I'm also not sure why you're talking about "fairness." Businesses don't exist to be fair, they exist to make money. Newegg drops their prices with the market because that's what makes them the most money by drawing the most customers, not because that's what's fair. If you think that what is "fair" matters at all in the business world I think you and I are on very different planets.

Edited by sdelu - 25 Mar 2012 at 5:08pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:47pm
Ah Capitalism Hahaha
whieb1 View Drop Down

Quote whieb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:53pm
k fine, you guys just continue getting ripped off. not my problem just trying to help out the consumer by pointing out some obvious mis-pricing.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by whieb1

k fine, you guys just continue getting ripped off. not my problem just trying to help out the consumer by pointing out some obvious mis-pricing.

Because you view something one way does not mean the rest of the market views it that way.  You need to become aware of some things before you "think" you are the market Messiah. 

Yes, as stated above, this is a capitalistic society.  Here in America a business has the right to make a profit.  As mentioned above, every business operates with overhead, and every business owner(s) have the right to set personal margins to offset that overhead.  It is up to the market, you and I, to place a value perceived perspective on any given commodity and/or product that is on the market for sale.  Your one opinionated view of a business's margins, or their retail pricing, does not change the reality of what actually takes place in the market.

You have a choice.  You can choose to purchase from a retailer, or not.  It is, after all, your choice.  A business's initiative in the marketplace does not change your right to choose, rather it markets to that taste and attitude which leads toward your choice.  If you choose to purchase from another retailer, your choice not to buy from DS does not mean the "way" they market their product(s) is wrong.  It simply means that you choose to purchase from someone else that you "feel" has your best interest in mind.  Purchasing on feelings does not change the reality of the way a retailer goes to market.  It simply means that you are lead by a feeling, and an ignorant view of how retailers go to market. 

It's ok for you to believe what you believe based on the little bit you most likely know about retail markets, but you cannot expect people that do understand retail markets to believe your view.  The American retail market is a very diverse market and you have to be careful when summing up one given retailer's "way" of doing business because your expectation is based on a general overall perspective of greed in the marketplace. 

What you may see as greedy can simply be a very aggressive margin set by a retailer.  That doesn't make it or wrong, and of course, you do have a choice.

Only in America!        

Edited by EdH63 - 26 Mar 2012 at 6:02pm
whieb1 View Drop Down

Quote whieb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 12:54pm
and i agree with you on that edh63, but as you and everyone else seems to be missing. that is not my point lol.

all of that makes sense when you first release a product ie the 680. i dont agree with the really high price but thats not what i am complaining about.    

what i have been saying in my last few posts are about the 570 pricing. they have all ready done all there adjustments for profit and overhead etc. I am simply stating with the recent launch of the 680 this has drove down the cost of the 580/570.   and i don't understand why DS is saying they won't be dropping the price of the 570, when literally every competitor of ds/ all retailers have followed suite in dropping the price.   

And just an fyi ed i do have a very good understanding of the market, unlike 90% of the companies out there i believe in making a profit but at the same time providing customer satisfaction when it comes to pricing. if you become a business that ignores making customers happy with the pricing and just charges whatever you damn well please, is not good business practice.     yes there still will be customers willing to pay the price regardless of what it is, but the majority of consumers look for the better price. and when you consistently charge more than everyone else for a decent system you are cutting yourself out of the majority of the market.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 10:12pm
I understand your angst, but when you use broad statements like, " the majority of consumers look for the better price. and when you consistently charge more than everyone else for a decent system you are cutting yourself out of the majority of the market", you would actually need to quantify that with some solid data to convince people that what you're saying actually is cutting them out of the majority of the market to that degree.  Broad statements vs. actual quantifiable data. 

You see, I don't believe that because one, you can't quantify "everybody" with a number, and two, DS is selling their product, so it seems, without the reservations you have about this affecting those sales.  That doesn't negate your personal feeling about this and the way you feel about this is important.  I believe your passion drives your heart and intellect and that will move you toward a decision.  That's ok, bro.  What you think has value, so it shouldn't be discounted or diminished.  However, you coming here and approaching a company this way that has the right to do business how they choose is really the only thing that others may see as inappropriate.  The best way you make your point in a free market to a retailer that you're unhappy with is just not buying their product.  If you really want to make an intelligent and mature impact, then that's how you go about this.  I'm just saying, my friend, go about this the right way so you look good in the end.  Leave the impact and exit on a high note.

Don't stop believing in the right things, though.  But remember, the right things can also be construed differently according to personal perspective.  Talking things through with the desire to see a good end result is the way to come to a sensible conclusion so that there is a better understanding of all the choices that are made, on both sides of the fence.   I really don't think DS is out to screw the market.  Does that really make good business sense to commit market suicide?  No, it doesn't.     

Edited by EdH63 - 28 Mar 2012 at 10:28pm
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by whieb1

and i agree with you on that edh63, but as you and everyone else seems to be missing. that is not my point lol.

all of that makes sense when you first release a product ie the 680. i dont agree with the really high price but thats not what i am complaining about.    

what i have been saying in my last few posts are about the 570 pricing. they have all ready done all there adjustments for profit and overhead etc. I am simply stating with the recent launch of the 680 this has drove down the cost of the 580/570.   and i don't understand why DS is saying they won't be dropping the price of the 570, when literally every competitor of ds/ all retailers have followed suite in dropping the price.   

And just an fyi ed i do have a very good understanding of the market, unlike 90% of the companies out there i believe in making a profit but at the same time providing customer satisfaction when it comes to pricing. if you become a business that ignores making customers happy with the pricing and just charges whatever you damn well please, is not good business practice.     yes there still will be customers willing to pay the price regardless of what it is, but the majority of consumers look for the better price. and when you consistently charge more than everyone else for a decent system you are cutting yourself out of the majority of the market.

They wont be dropping prices because the GTX 680 really isn't widely available yet. As long as I have been a DS fan they haven't really reflected Newegg prices. But they are the best sytem builder as far as service is concerned IMHO.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 8:29pm
Interesting fact incoming.

I own 4 Alienw.. systems, 2 Cyberp and 1 IBuyP.

All of them.. just come undone in real world usage.

I do not care, not one bit about how great they look, how much their parts costed me in the config or how fast I get the system.

What I do care about is this...

When they DO fall apart in real world usage - and they will.. I care the company helps me out.

Listen, this isn't a flame but you can't use DS and quotes like " if you become a business that ignores making customers happy with the pricing and just charges whatever you damn well please, is not good business practice." in the same paragraph let alone sentence.

These people -are the definition- of customer service.

Their techs call from their own home, on their own time sometimes. (Read the customer feedback forums) I asked AW TODAY if I could mail my PC in at my own cost (has 173 days left of warranty on it) because it blue screened 16 times in the last 2 days. They said: "No, we are going to send you parts based on your DESCRIPTION of your problem.." verified my address and hung up. Just like that.

I called DS a few weeks ago and ran my build by them..

They said I should switch out processors because the other processor they recommend was CHEAPER and I wouldnt notice the difference.

Other companies sell their configs with serious issues and don't tell you about possible issues.

With other companies you are buying a name.

With Digital Storm - you buy quality.

... and with that - that is worth the extra little bit of money for the 460, 470, 480 the 1080p the 43923231 or any other number of part, card or reader you wanna put in there.

Not hating on your opinion - just stating mine.
LaneHayes View Drop Down

Quote LaneHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 11:58am
To further the points already made, amazon's cheapest offering of the 680 is now $618.

The cost of labor + the stress testing + tech support (HUGE in high end machines) is worth the overhead to me. Also, anyone who is scoundrelling on price this much has no need for the latest and greatest in a professionally built custom machine.

If you're only focused on price, you're welcome to an off the shelf, factory line slapped together machine. You'll also recieve a Walmart quality computer. Try buying their bike helmets for your kid sometime.
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 12:54pm
Like LaneHayes said, the labor and testing alone not to mention great customer service more than warrants the price.

Hell, before I ordered my build I priced out every single part for the cheapest I could find each and it was barely over $100 more for Digital Storm to build, test, ship, and throw in a warranty. I don't have to deal with any bad parts through the retailer or god forbid manufacturer, Digital Storm will walk you through the process, replace any bad parts, and offer life time customer care on all of there builds.

If you want to save a couple hundred dollars on a machine that may not even work or on parts that cannot be guaranteed then go ahead and purchase from these cheaper retailers. Maybe you will get lucky but to me its not worth wasting $2000+ to have a glorified doorstop.

I love Newegg as much as the next person for the prices but cheaper isn't always better.

Digital Storm will keep making quality builds for competitive and reasonable prices, they will keep having great customer service, and they will keep myself and many others coming back.
 Post Reply Post Reply