Dell studio XPS 8000
Intel i7-860 (2.8 GHz)
8 GB ram
Nvidia gtx 560ti
Corsair gs800 watt
1 tb hard drive

Game: World of Warcraft
Fraps: 80 average

So I'm getting good fps but I think I'm getting screen tearing. I enable vertical sync and still happens. When I look side to side things don't move smoothly....

Any ideas on how to improve smoothness?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:18am
Hi belaflek73,

Well it could be your monitor so lets get that out of the way first off. If you are using an inexpensive TN style monitor it could be the viewing angle of the monitor. It seems that your computer is capable of playing World of Warcraft with no problems. I say that having never played World of Warcraft. Tell us what monitor you are using.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 20 Jul 2012 at 9:20am
belaflek73 View Drop Down

Quote belaflek73 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 4:35pm
Thanks for the response Frank,

I am using an HP w2338h monitor.  After a little research I learned it is a TN style monitor 1920x1080 native resolution, 23".  I sit directly in front of the monitor so I don't think the viewing angle would be a problem.

What do you think?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 12:28pm
I have never seen the 2338h monitor but I did find more than an occasional problem with the monitor. But, I didn't find anyone complaining about your particular problem.

Even though you set directly in front of the screen the viewing angle changes when you turn your head to look at the ends of the monitor. The viewing angles specs on this monitor are 160 degrees H/V. Better monitors have a viewing angle of 170 on the horizontal.

You need to do a test. Get setup where you are having a problem with your head in the center of the screen. While you are having the problem slide your head/body to one side so your eyes stay perpendicular to the screen but you end up looking at the end of the monitor. Do you still see the problem? Can you see the problem if you move your head to one side of the monitor so you are looking at the edge of the monitor straight ahead. Now turn you head and look at the other end of the screen and see if you see the problem. It may be worse from that position. Some Lap tops are just terrible about this.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 22 Jul 2012 at 12:29pm
belaflek73 View Drop Down

Quote belaflek73 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 10:09am
I've been thinking of getting a dell ultrasharp monitor, so I check back in if that helped.
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 10:58am
With VSync enabled.....did you try "triple buffering" with the VSync? Often the two settings work better together. May not help but worth a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply