SLI scaling in Rift

Post Date: 2011-07-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bensonc120 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SLI scaling in Rift
    Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 1:32pm
I know Rift supports SLI, but does anyone have any experience in how well it scales?  I'm interested in how GTX 460 SLI does in 1920x1200 vs single GTX 460 if anybody has experience.

Some articles saw 460s scale really well but couple poster in the Nvidia forums said their 460 SLI did not scale well with Rift.  Just wondering if that's generally the case or if that might be a CPU bottleneck issue as some in that forum has suggested (was an AMD cpu)

Thanks for any input.
Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB)
Dell U3011 Monitor
asteldian View Drop Down

Quote asteldian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 4:02am
Hmm, I have no direct experience with SLI with Rift, but a single GTX560 plays the game on ultra settings at between 40 and 60fps even during raid rifts etc. so a single OC'd GTX 460 would have no issue with the game. (not that any of it matters to your PC!!)

Back to your question though, I would say the posters would be correct based on past experience.  While the GTX460 is an amazing scaler with SLI, it is still dependant on how well the games are programmed for it, and historically MMO's have been very poor with SLI (some MMO's actually lost performance when in SLI...I believe EQ2 for a long while suffered from that)

Hopefully someone may be able to give personal experience though (likely best place for that would be the Rift forums if you haven't already posted there)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:39am
I guess I'll find out soon.  Took some spare components from my bro and had Digital Storm add some parts and build a nice rig.  We'll keep it at the parents house for gaming/office work.  The only thing is he had a gtx 460 so we just decided to have DS SLI the 460s for us.  Hopefully that runs decent but I'll let you guys know how it does on WoW and Rift on 1920x1200.  Just shipped yesterday so we shall see in about a week.

BTW Digital Storm has been amazing throughout this process with follow-ups and customer service.  Special thanks to Alex, Thanh, Craig, and Cassandra (hope I didn't forget anyone) for making this process easy as it potentially could've been a little bit complicated.  I mean, it was really easy, we just shipped in our case, video card, ssd, and psu and had them add a couple more parts and build a rig.  So much easier than doing it ourselves Big%20Smile  Thanh, the general manager, personally kept me updated throughout the whole process so I felt like they really go the extra mile to make their customers happy. 
Cooler Master 942 HAF X
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Dell U3011 Monitor
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:45am
people are always gonna have issues but it the has been known to scale very well i dont think your gonna have any issues.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 4:48pm
Sli 460 on 1920x1200 resolution for Rift will get you 50+ in Sanctum and 70+ everywhere on Ultra settings  Smile
Cooler Master 942 HAF X
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Dell U3011 Monitor
 Post Reply Post Reply