FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sli 780 and seprate power supplies

Post Date: 2014-10-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ragevirusqq View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: sli 780 and seprate power supplies
    Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:30am
Hello friends.. I have been considering selling my 780 and spending a little extra to purchase a 980 strix.

For the time being though I have found a second 780 on the cheap local craigslist and thinking about putting in my rig with a second smaller power supply corsair cx600m powering just the second card.  since i have the power supply just sitting on my shelf and no desire to purchase another larger one when the prospect of the 980 is looming.
 I usually run two monitors a 60hz acer with good color and an asus vg248qe at 144hz. I do have a couple questions before i do this though and if anyone knows the answers or shares an opinion, ill buy you a cookie.

First, is there any issues running a seperate power supply just powering the second card?
Second, my goal is to get the highest or full 144 fps out of the asus 248qe. Any opinions on SLI vs 980 for pushing FPS at 1080p consistently?

With 1 780 currently even Overclocked games like Shadows of Mordor hang around 35 - 70 FPS without the high res package installed.
 I know both are overkill for 1080p but I really enjoy high FPS and smooth gameplay on ultra and maxed settings.  I am not interested in moving up in resolution until i can afford/achieve FPS over 100 consistently as for me this makes more of a visual impression than just higher resolution at lower FPS. I dont know if i am sensitive but the screen stutter/micro stutter at lower FPS is really noticeable for me and sometimes gives me a headache.    For my Budget and current tech those framerates at higher resolutions are not yet attainable.

any and all opinions info are welcome :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:57am
You can run two psu's for a single system, with the second just for another video card, but you need to jumper the 2nd psu for it to turn on.  When you power up, the Power On pin (24 pin connector) needs to be grounded to turn it on.   The motherboard takes care of that.  For the 2nd psu, you'd need to jumper the green, power on, to Black, Ground, to tell the supply to turn on.  Usually pins 15 and 16 , but you'd need to check.  This is done with its 24 pin cable from psu. 

You can do that manually with your own jumper , a paper clip or something like this.....

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html

I would just get another psu, but that's me.  Big%20Smile

Hope this helps. 

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:05pm
Ah hah!  Thank you bprat i knew there would be something i did not think of.Big%20Smile

I am just thinking of using it because its free and another 750+ watt is another 100 - 150 dollars miniimum for a decent one that will support both cards. and i currently have the cx600m and a very nice sea sonic 660 platinum. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:10pm
Yeah, give it a try.     Just have to do some maneuvering of the 2nd psu.   I can't think of any other issue.  Yet. Hahaha
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 5:36pm
What case do you have?  You have room for two PSU's?  Hopefully you're looking into which PSU's your buying for noise and heat reasons. 

Fun fact (I like to spread these).  Look at how much of a load they need to achieve that efficiency that you're buying.  So if you have two 600w PSU's. One is 80+ Gold and one is 80+ bronze.  The bronze is $50 and the gold is $90.  But it's only rated at gold if you achieve 80% or higher load.  So bronze would be better as it has better efficiency at lower loads.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 7:14pm
Hi meller. Thanks for the reply. Right now my gear is in a cooler Master haf xb Evo. Yes there is room for a second in the lower section left side. Just need to cut the 80mm fan slots out for the cord to run through and air. The sea sonic I got from a leftover build from work it's a hybrid so the fan only runs if needed. I only have heard it kick up once during a 4 hour session of som. The Corsair is from a vanquish I bought in February. To be honest I am not all that concerned with efficiency anyway but both are great supplies and run pretty cool. I just only have about 300 bucks to blow on the card situation and didn't want another psu. My rig is a maximus 7 hero with an i5 4670k at 4.4. And one directcu ii 780. My goal is 1080p at as close to 144 fps as I can get. From what I have read and a lot of benchmark sites are conflicting though the two 780 S will outperform one 980 as far as fps goes in most games. My systems are always changing as I build more systems for customers and have extra parts or after rmas or whatever.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 7:05am
True, but remember one 980 out performs a GTX Titan Black. Of course if you already have a GTX 780 it is cheaper to just buy another 780 rather than sell current one and buy one 980. 2x 780 is > one 980.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 9:27am
if i could find a 980 strix to purchase i might just go that route also and use these 780's for a customer that wants to save some money with used cards or put them in another system somewhere. nothing ever goes to waste

The fact is i cant find them in stock anywhere. either of u guys know how much power is needed for two 980's ? while we are on the topic. i cant seem to find a definitive answer from professor google.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 9:33am
Recommended minimum psu for sli 980 is about 800watts.   One site mentions a 750 watt, but that's bare minimum with little or no overclocking going on.    I'd get a 850 myself if buying new. 

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 9:37am
i think your right BP as usual. i think i am just going to purchase a decent 850 and use the two 780's for now until the 980 become more readily available or go down in price.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 9:46am
Good idea.Strong

I tend to go higher than needed for the psu, mainly because , first I'm 'old school ' where you needed gobs of power at one time, and second, when a psu goes over the 80% rated output, meaning 600watts on a 750 w psu, then more heat builds , and the logic voltage become not as stable.  The better units can take it, but still, over time, components wear and a faulty or stressed  psu will cause roll overs, bsod,etc and the psu tends to be the last thing people consider.

Just me.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Oct 2014 at 9:47am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:26pm
The 980 actually uses very little power. There are benchmarks out showing 4 way sli pulling less than 600 watt's all together. It's a crazy power efficient card.

I'm an overkill supporter, minus my PSU's. Due to my love to OC, I want the most efficient and stable power I can get. So I pay attention to average power draw vs what load I need to reach rated efficiency in my PSU's.

So if I need 80% load to get my platinum efficiency, I will plan so accordingly on buying my psu. But that's just me.

And while bprat is right about more load = more heat. A lot ... and I mean a lot, of psu's today are specifically built to always have a 50-80% load. That's how they are rated and meant to be. At the end of the day I'd rather my psu generate 1 degree more of temp but make sure my hardware is actually receiving the most stable possible power.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:55pm
http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series_XP2.htm

This is what I am currently using in the 660. Variant mostly for the high 12v rail output. I don't understand how it all works. But if you can confirm the 99% rating keeps the voltage within ¹% of the target required load? When I look at the graphs the power seems very steady is comparison to the cx600 that I also checked the graphs on.
i5 4670k @4.4 GHZ w/ h100i
Maximus 7 hero
Asus gtx 780dcuii x1 sometimes 2
16 GB Adata ram 1600
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 2:59am
You are right, the Seasonic 660 Platinum showed excellent test results, it's logic voltages very stable and little ripple at almost full load. Technically, you could probably run sli 980 on that single psu. And it might run for years, but keeping the psu at 80% or less like myself and Meller suggested is still best. Power supplies are known for poor solder connections and even top quality caps, etc being problematic. Even the best ones.   If you have ever pulled one apart and worked on it like I have you'd see how easy it is to have a problem.

It's the solder connections and less than perfect component that will weaken first , especially under constant heavy load and induce ripple/unstable 3 and 5 volt supply to the mobo.   The cpu is normally immune to it, it having it's own regulation, but the mobo can feel it.   

Plenty of people get a psu with little or no headroom. You might be looking at only 500watt usage, so the 660 Platinum might be fine. One site showed max of 170 watt per card.   Tough to say.   

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Oct 2014 at 3:23am

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:33am
This is whey I love posting questions here even when they are seemingly silly at first
you guys are awesome and every time i learn something. Professor BP and Meller your depth of knowledge is awesome!
i5 4670k @4.4 GHZ w/ h100i
Maximus 7 hero
Asus gtx 780dcuii x1 sometimes 2
16 GB Adata ram 1600
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:08am
Thanks. Big%20Smile  We try, or are very trying.  Hahaha     
 Post Reply Post Reply