Post Date: 2014-09-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GloryUprising View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade LV4 Config
    Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 11:28am
Hoping to join the DS family in the coming weeks!

I do however have a few questions:

1) Do we know which GTX780Ti DS uses? Are more exotic versions offered as an special request?
2) Will my power supply choice be a good solid performer for future SLI configs?
3) Are the "Corsair Airflow Performance Edition" fans a worth while upgrade to keep things cool (and improve long term reliability)?

Budget:
$3k (Can stretch to 4k)

Expectations:
Reasonability high end (but not bleeding edge) that has room for future growth.

Usage:
Online FPS and RPGs

Special Needs:
Quieter build with a premium on long term durability. Going to add an Asus PG278Q in the near future and would like to drive it properly.

Saved Ticket #: 1045657

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D

Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)

Edited by GloryUprising - 07 Sep 2014 at 11:33am
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 12:44pm
1) We use ASUS, EVGA, PNY, GIGABYTE and Zotac depending on supply availability. We can definitely get special versions like the ASUS Matrix Platinum if needed but there will be a special order fee.

2) The 850W would be fine but I recommend going with a 1000W if you want to be safe in the future and have more options. (850W is more than enough but for triple and over-volting CPU in the future, it might cause stability issues if you OC the GPUs as well.)

3) Upgrading the fans will promote better airflow and will help as the Slade is a closed off chassis.

Edited by Nav - 07 Sep 2014 at 12:45pm

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 1:23pm
Thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts between the Silverstone Strider vs HX1050.

I like the Silverstone for the increased efficiency and better ripple protection. I like the HX1050 for the 50C rating.

I'm leaning more toward the HX1050 because I'll be connected to a UPS and my power is relatively stable at home. With a closed case, heat may also be an issue so the better rating there will also be a plus.

For the GPU, I was hoping for something like a ASUS GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II and since we're going with the bigger PSU, I was thinking of even OC it... Thoughts?
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 1:45pm
I think you answered your own question there in regards to the PSU .

I believe we have been using the DCU II cards as of now for the 780 TI, you will have to call in and verify. If we aren't then there will likely be a special order fee.

I highly recommend OCing the 780 Ti as it gives an insane boost in performance.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 1:52pm
As a side note, the Corsair 1050hx also has more than double the warranty. Manufacturer shows more confidence in its product and gives the customer longer piece of mind.   Ripple is very important in component life , degrading of caps, etc but they both do a very good job and plenty of headroom.

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:19pm
Do you guys think an OC'ed 780ti will drive an Asus PG278Q at full resolution?

Or should we play the "wait for the 980"...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:37pm
Single 780ti will play real nice on that monitor. But, you won't get max , ultra settings with all games.   High for sure which looks great but only an sli will max things out and keep frames up. Depends what makes you happy.

Overclocking the 780ti gives real good results with about a 10% or better result. The 780 family respond well to oc'ing.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:45pm
I'm hearing the new 880 or 980 if they skip the 800 designation, will be cheaper and a little stronger than the 780 but not necessarily the 780ti. But, that's just speculating.

Supposedly more vram, maybe 4gb, but that's more for 4k monitors.

Edited by bprat22 - 07 Sep 2014 at 2:48pm

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 6:40am
So I see that the GTX 780ti is discontinued due to the GTX980 release last night.

How do we feel about the 980's raw performance?

While the power and heat output ratings are STELLER esp in the 550D case, I'm still a gamer at the core. I was underwhelmed based on DS's own benchmarks: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review-benchmarks-at-4k-idnum325/

Other sites have better benchmark scores for the 980s.

I still think I'm going to have the 980 OC'ed, do we expect a good performance boost vs an OC'ed 780ti when driving a PG278Q?

Nav, any thoughts?

TIA

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:09am
The benches I've seen show the 980 about 10-20% better than the 780ti, with 10% being the norm. 

Here's one example. 

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1072?vs=1351

The 10-20% is about average for next generation card in the last few years. 

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Sep 2014 at 8:11am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 9:31am
As far as the 980, it also has a number of features lacking in the 780 Ti that will allow future games to render faster, including support for Direct3D 11.3. Also it will deal much better with 4k displays.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 9:44am
Originally posted by GloryUprising

So I see that the GTX 780ti is discontinued due to the GTX980 release last night.

How do we feel about the 980's raw performance?

While the power and heat output ratings are STELLER esp in the 550D case, I'm still a gamer at the core. I was underwhelmed based on DS's own benchmarks: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review-benchmarks-at-4k-idnum325/

Other sites have better benchmark scores for the 980s.

I still think I'm going to have the 980 OC'ed, do we expect a good performance boost vs an OC'ed 780ti when driving a PG278Q?

Nav, any thoughts?

Raw performance wise it's pretty amazing. Have to keep in mind these are release drivers so with the nest 1-2 releases, performance should increase a bit.

I was EASILY able to get 200+ Mhz boost not he GPU base clock and was trading blows with the 780 Ti or beating it.

Haven't had the chance personally to test it at 1440p but when I do, ill definitely post.

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 11:05am
Thanks, guys (or gals if you're one)!

I look forward to your impressions, Nav.

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 2:25pm
New config: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1051498

AND it's ~$150 cheaper!

Hot dog!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 2:40pm
Just a fyi... The Slade is a popular pick for a quiet build, but with the 240mm rad , the top acoustic panel needs to be removed because that's where it mounts, under the top panel.    It has come up in the past, and just wanted to make sure you know. It is still a quieter build, but not as quiet as a 120mm rad mounted to the rear fan area with top panel kept in place.   

I think the top off with 240mm rad gives it added airflow, so it's good in my book.

Looks great.
60bad View Drop Down

Quote 60bad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:34pm
Now the 780 Ti is gone. Now I can't get my dream gaming pc and I gotta go somewhere else, I guess.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:58pm
I replied to your other post.    You can still build a great DS rig, but the gtx 980 has replaced the 780ti.   It's about the same performance, maybe 10% better, has more vram and runs at about 25% less wattage under load which means less heat and quieter from testing I've seen early on.

Things do change every several months.   Just the nature of the beast.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by 60bad

Now the 780 Ti is gone. Now I can't get my dream gaming pc and I gotta go somewhere else, I guess.

The GTX 780 Ti has been discontinued and the new GTX 980 offers just about the same performance for less $$$ and less power wattage. It also features tons of new improvements in the architecture that make it a better purchase for future proofing.

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Just a fyi... The Slade is a popular pick for a quiet build, but with the 240mm rad , the top acoustic panel needs to be removed because that's where it mounts, under the top panel.    It has come up in the past, and just wanted to make sure you know. It is still a quieter build, but not as quiet as a 120mm rad mounted to the rear fan area with top panel kept in place.   

I think the top off with 240mm rad gives it added airflow, so it's good in my book.

Looks great.

I was thinking about that the other day. Can I still run the computer WITH the panel in or do I have to take it off?

Is that top rad fan speed adjustable to keep at lower speed to keep the noise down....

... is the noise that bad?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 3:08am
The top Slade panel has to be off. The top fans exit the heat out the top, otherwise cpu overheating would happen real soon.

The fans are easily adjustable, using Bios or Fan Xpert, Corsair Link, etc.   On high they can be a bit noisy but on medium others find them good to go.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 8:20am
Another option would be a single 120mm radiator on the rear fan port. Or going with an air cooler, with 980's being only stock coolers currently, they won't be putting much heat into the case.

As bprat22 says the motherboard BIOS and software suite can adjust the fans. It should also be noted that they can also tune them to ramp up based on CPU temperature.

Honestly, the GTX 980 is a significantly better card than the GTX 780 Ti. If it wasn't Nvidia wouldn't be discontinuing them. The new features, once exploited by new games, will offer even better overall gaming experience.

Also, I just noticed that DS is offering the Samsung 850 Pros (up to the 512GB model). These are hands down the top performing SATA SSDs currently available.

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 11:16am
So I dropped the hammer today with the Black Friday sales offer.

Got an email, however, indicating the Rampage V dose not fit in the 550D and the X99-Deluxe was offered or I have the option of a larger case.

This is mostly a gaming computer, would the x99-Deluxe be a significant 'downgrade'? Can spec wise they are very similar with the deluxe having an edge in some cases.

Thoughts?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 11:27am
The biggest difference, in general, betwen the two, is the Rampage can hold 4x sli gtx 980 and the Deluxe 3x sli.  

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 1:28pm
Thanks, are Airflow Controllers worth the upgrade?

How does the system handle fan speed ramp ups normally?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 1:46pm
With ASUS boards, when you have fans in the headers on the motherboard, you can control the fans through the UEFI interface and with the AI Suite software. For voltage regulated fans, the UEFI setup will operate them between 60-100% voltage and can completely stop the fans; AI Suite will run a quick test on the fans to find the minimum operating voltage and can considerably lower the fan speed. PWM fans can operate in their full range, but I believe only the CPU header on the motherboard is a true PWM header...the other four-pin headers are not actually PWM.

It appears to me that the Airflow Controller only has 3-pin non-PWM headers and will only allow for spped control via voltage regulation.

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 2:41pm
Are they worth the 'upgrade'? part of me says no. I don't care much for the eye candy....
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 3:00pm
I chose not to. I think the only benefit is that you can control the LED lighting (If you get it; I didn't) from software, instead of having a separate remote. Fan control, I think, is just as good, if not better, on the motherboard, unless you have a ton of fans like in an Aventum or Hailstorm.

Edited by  - 28 Nov 2014 at 3:00pm

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 2:48pm
I pulled the trigger over black friday:

Digital Storm Desktop
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition)
RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 HDDs)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)

---

Upgraded the DVD/BR and Media Card reader to reach the $3k level for the increased discounts!

thanks for all your input, guys!

Edited by GloryUprising - 02 Dec 2014 at 2:49pm

Quote GloryUprising Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 12:39pm
Got to stage 5 yesterday around noon!!! The suspense is killing meeeeee.

How long does DS typically test the rigs for at this stage?
 Post Reply Post Reply