Post Date: 2011-12-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vorlon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vorlon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Skyrim
    Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 4:14pm
After many many many crash issues with the new Elder Scrolls Skyrim game I called thier support phone number. I was told [by Joe] that they will not support the game on any overclocked system and also will not support systems with more then one vid card.  I run my X980 at 4Ghz [ see my overclocking post]  and I have dual 480 vid cards in SLI.  I had to boot the non-overclocked prophile an disable one vid card before they would even talk to me.  After doing as they asked I called backed an spent two hours with thier tech but they could not fix thier software.  Pitty as this is a great looking game.  It realy is awsum right up to the part where I will not run.

Save your money.

V
HailStorm
Sub-Zero Stage 6
EVGA Classified 3 SLI
980X CPU
SLI EVGA 480
6GB HyperX 2000Mhz RAM
160GB Intel SSD (Boot)
1TB WB Black 64MB
X-Fi Champion
1500 Silverstone PSU
Be fast or Be dead
HAL View Drop Down

Quote HAL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 7:40pm
Everybody has crash issues with the game...I heard somewhere it was called...ummm....

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
But seriously, it's buggy, still amazing though. We could try to help you, but maybe you should post in the RPG or software sections, and give more details. Many people have run it on systems such as yours so there should be no problem.
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 7:40pm
Just because a game does not have support to benefit from those things it does not mean the game can not be played just because you have your CPU OC'd. The SLI issue is not limited to Skyrim, take WoW for example, but can easily be addressed by disabling SLI in your Nvidia control panel before playing and turning it back on when you are done.

The most likely thing to cause issues is incompatible GPUs or drivers, which is something that plagues a lot of games and is 100% the fault of the developer. I've played L4D2 on two different computers with 3 different graphics cards and every time I get the message "You graphics card is not supported for this game, please submit your system information for review." I then have to click accept to bypass that warning and play the game anyways.

It's unfortunate when developers are lazy like that but you can typically do a Google search for the game and your GPU to find tips from other people for a work around or a listing of which driver is best for you hardware.

One tip I got directly from STEAM support is to get my drivers directly from Nvidia and not from the card supplier like EVGA. I can not say for certain how accurate their tip was but they told me sometimes drivers from some place like EVGA are slightly different then the stock Nvidia drivers and using the other driver can help prevent messages about compatibility issues.

For the OC on the CPU though I really doubt that is causing the problem. Again it's most likely a GPU issue. Have you updated your GPU drivers and tried playing the game just with SLI disabled, and not mess with your CPU OC? I would give that a shot.

You also may get more responses from other players in the RPG section that already has Skyrim posts. Anyone with a DS machine is going to have their CPU OC'd and plenty of people here play the game with out issues.

Vorlon View Drop Down

Quote Vorlon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 11:36am
Please remove my Skyrim post. I moved it to the corrrect RPG area in the forum.  Sorry for posting this; My bad. 

I hate spam as much as the next person.

V
HailStorm
Sub-Zero Stage 6
EVGA Classified 3 SLI
980X CPU
SLI EVGA 480
6GB HyperX 2000Mhz RAM
160GB Intel SSD (Boot)
1TB WB Black 64MB
X-Fi Champion
1500 Silverstone PSU