Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Shipping Delay
    Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 3:49pm

I wanted to take a moment to write an official statement with the current shipping delays we are experiencing internally.

From the "Back to School" shopping season, we have been backed up quite extensively and we are doing our best to ship systems as quickly as possible. We are constantly hiring new staff to keep up with the growing pains and requesting employees into overtime during weekends.

I wanted to clarify that we are doing our very best to swiftly ship as many units as possible without sacrificing quality. We stand behind our product with great pride, and want to ensure that each and every one of our customers receive the same strict quality and stress testing.

For a estimation, currently I will say about 5-8 additional business days.

Our shipping 5-10 business day estimation is only there to provide a ball pack figure, it's not a guarantee for when a system can ship. We don't want to tie ourselves down to a guarantee and cut corners to meet deadlines. The last thing we want our customers to experience is a problematic system which could have been resolved if it was held here for a few more days.

Once again, we are working long and hard to ship as many machines out as possible. Please hang in there, it will be worth the wait! Wink
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 4:16pm
"Sell no wine before it's time!"

Does anybody even remember this quote? God I feel old, but I digress.....

Although my machine is now on its way Embarrassed, it took nearly twice as long as I expected to get it out the door;16 business days/21 calendar days. I wasn't exactly pleased by this, but all I can say, Alex, is thank you for not giving in to the scheduling pressure and shipping it before it was ready.

As I've said before, "If I wanted sooner, I should have ordered it sooner!" You guys have been great, and an extra week of waiting isn't going to matter a month or a year from now.

Assuming the machine arrives here in one piece Wink, my only critisism of DSO is that you didn't post this notice a little sooner.

I expect to be recommending DSO highly to anybody who will listen.
inshadeoftree View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 5:23pm
,,,order 5047...just shipped yesterday...yeaa!...ordered last week of August....I expect to receive a great computer that will give me absolutely no worries for weeks...operator error always rears it's ugly head in my home...but seriously I did not hang out in these forums for weeks and winnow down my hardware choices just to 'tell' the lab how much time it takes to do their job.....I'm a trusting guy  and I'm real lucky in many ways....stumbling into DS is one example of how my luck runs...Doug

Edited by inshadeoftree - 18 Sep 2007 at 5:24pm

600W Thermaltake,Intel Core 2 DuoE67502,nVidia650iCore2Quad,2GBCorsair,150GBWesternDigitalraptor 10K, NVIDIA 460 GTX, AirCooled Stage3,Blizzard Internal Lighting,Vista Home Premium

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 5:51pm
You guys are running a business Alex, not a crack center.  I think everybody here can get a grip on reality and be patient as long as there aren't unrealistic promises made by DS... which there haven't been.

I've called no less than 4 times changing things on my order which no doubt has caused my delay.  I'm 44 years old and don't sit around all day waiting for my rig.  I've got a life to live and I would think that most of these people here do too. 

It says a lot about your company, and you personally, that you would make this statement about delays when many companies would just string you along and make you wonder.  I would hope that anyone that purchases from DS would be able to show restraint and accept any delays that would arise.  There are no guarantees in this life and the allowances that are afforded to those who are lucky should be held as blessings from a company that cares.

I wouldn't worry too much about this.  And, if you are impatiently waiting and angry because of delays, then shame on you.  Grow up!
pinebot View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 6:42pm
I think everyone would agree that they'd rather have the best quality rig even if it takes a little longer.   At the same time I do think the communication could be improved.  For example I had to email DS to find out about the delays, and I'm guessing many others did too. Why not proactively email everyone waiting in the queue? Or better yet bake that time into the original estimate? No one would complain if they were quoted a 15 day ship time and it went out in 10.  Say what you want about Dell but every time I've ordered a PC it's shipped before the estimated ship date.  It's a small thing but I appreciated it.  (please no flaming about Dell it's just an example, not a global statement about Dell).  It seems like in this case it would be better to under-promise and over-deliver, not the other way around. 
Guests View Drop Down
bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 7:59pm
I wouldn't mind a shipping delay if your site would have said your currently running behind.  I think its bad customer service if you say 6-8 business days then it should be out in that time.  Cancelling my order.
cyberman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by ghost

I wouldn't mind a shipping delay if your site would have said your currently running behind.  I think its bad customer service if you say 6-8 business days then it should be out in that time.  Cancelling my order.

How lomg ago did you place the order and was it a difficult config?  IE water cooling and overclocking with a paint job on the case?  Call them.  It goes a long way settling your mind in these things.  Umm, they will probably call you anyway since you are cancelling.

Edited by cyberman - 18 Sep 2007 at 8:15pm
nomec View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 8:36pm
no problem Alex... I have been patiently awaiting my new system but it's only really been 10 days anyways.  I look forward to getting my new system Wink
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 8:45pm

Loosing a customer over a simply "estimation" dispute is far from what we would like to see. I completely understand from your shoes about this but, please understand that the "6-8 business days" estimate you received via email also states that it is only a estimation and not a guarantee. This is written on the bottom of every status update email. On the website, we only provide a "estimation" of 5-10 business days, which we do our best to keep true. I would have made a request to have that changed, but, we are catching up so there is no need now.

Pinebot, It would be great if we had a system that would automatically update customers about delays such as this, we are working on something as I speak, unfortunately, we never experience issues such as these so frequently so we never had a reason for it.

Anyways, about the delay, it's not something really big, we are working on getting everything out as quickly as possible and that's the reason behind us hiring new staff and employing overtime during the weekends.

Ghost, for you to cancel a order with us over a simple "estimation" is understandable, we will respect that decision, but, honestly, canceling an order over this small issue is far distant than us sacrificing quality or service in other areas. I have sent you a PM asking for your order number so I may personally contact you and talk to you about this issue and want to see what agreement we can come to.

Other than that, as stated, this should not apply to new orders, we are catching up and everything is slowly getting back in order. Big%20smile

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 8:59pm
...you know one of the great selling points of DS is the ability to join the forums and watch how business is done ..such a window is rare and really a wonderful experience...I've seen two peeved people in two months...and if Alex can't win Ghost back that would be the first....

600W Thermaltake,Intel Core 2 DuoE67502,nVidia650iCore2Quad,2GBCorsair,150GBWesternDigitalraptor 10K, NVIDIA 460 GTX, AirCooled Stage3,Blizzard Internal Lighting,Vista Home Premium

TheLastSuperman View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 9:00pm
The one thing I can say guys and gals is that when it comes to customized PC's, they will not rush even if you ask nicely, and would you want them too? Seriously? They benchmark and thoroughly test it before it's out to you.

the one thing I have learned when it comes to people's complaints or frustrations about Computers, it's that if you have a little patience, it's worth every minute the first night you enjoy that new car smell... err I mean New Digital Storm Customized "kick-ass" rig!!!!

Still loving mine!

TheLastSuperman

Sonofek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 9:05pm
I agree, I don't want a rushed computer. I'll bet one reason why other companies have so many complaints, is they try to get their computer out the door as fast as possible. I mean, sure, people are happy about getting there  computer a week or two early, but when that computer arrives DOA, and they have to send it back, it about evens out, if not taking longer.

And even then, Digital Storm is known for their awesome customer service, while the other companies are known for their... well, simply put, horrendous service.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 9:11pm

Thank's guys. I am glad everyone sees why there was a shipping delay.

In simple terms, to avoid rushing everything. I personally feel a few extra days is a lot better than having a system with issues that requires the machine sent back to us for services.
pinebot View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 10:01pm
Hi Alex,

It would be as simple as updating the standard language used in the "check order" page so that the generic estimate for stage 1 is10-15 days (or whatever).  The people who care about ship time are probably going to check their status there.  That way you don't have to automate or personalize anything or even send emails.   You are setting expectations even though it's "just an estimate" so why set people up for disappointment?  Better to surprise them on the upside if you happen to get it out faster than the longer estimate.

Anyway it looks like my machine just got shipped so I am happy now!  but future customers would probably appreciate it.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 10:05pm
I totally understand, thank you for the idea. As I mentioned before, we are now catching up, so this is mainly a little note for everyone about the delay that was in effect.
sundowner View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 10:20pm

Consider this before you cancel your order.

Build your computer using the same specs on other sites such as alienware, voodoo, vigor, velocitymicro, ABS, widow, etc and compare prices, then worry about ship dates/time.

Let alone all of the other things that you should consider such as customer service/satisfaction, quality, and genuine concern about making sure you get what you want out of your investment.

A few of us could've built our PC's ourselves for a lower price and had them ready sooner, but the risk (no warranty), work (we're lazy gamers), and price differential wasn't that much so it was an easy choice.

Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Zoom12 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 11:06pm
quality is key here at digital storm, I personally put lots o love into every system I build.  Cool
TheLastSuperman View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by sundowner

Consider this before you cancel your order.

Build your computer using the same specs on other sites such as alienware, voodoo, vigor, velocitymicro, ABS, widow, etc and compare prices, then worry about ship dates/time.

Let alone all of the other things that you should consider such as customer service/satisfaction, quality, and genuine concern about making sure you get what you want out of your investment.

A few of us could've built our PC's ourselves for a lower price and had them ready sooner, but the risk (no warranty), work (we're lazy gamers), and price differential wasn't that much so it was an easy choice.

Well said and note the fact also that alex mentioned it was a temporary delay due to mass orders from the back to school no tax weekend and such so no need to quote but patience is an aquired taste. Laugh with me here but I have PERSONALLY tried two of the other sites without satisfaction and will provide copies of purchase orders and proof of no machines if required, howerver I do not like to mention names but read between the lines when it comes to customer satisfaction and what you will be missing out on. Check any site who has a kudos or complaints section in forums or a website with posting for such and notice that when you read most of the negative it's almost always about the delay but on the sites that make it out the door quicker it's only about the problems from the start. I hate to see people go to other sites and become even more dissapointed than just a shipping delay but I also have friends who have been completely satisfied by one of the other companies but they did not go through what I or many of you have, now have they?

Originally posted by http://www.digitalstormonline.com/whydigitalstorm.asp

" We don't use assembly lines here. All of our systems are hand built by the industry's most skilled technicians. We use retail grade award winning components, not watered down OEM distributed packs. Each and every computer system goes through a extensive line of stress-testing and benchmarking to ensure rock solid stable operation for years. We are obsessed with perfection and take extensive  special precautions to avoid our customers from receiving a non-functional computer. We are repeatedly told from our suppliers that we have the lowest failure rates. "

Edited by TheLastSuperman - 18 Sep 2007 at 11:25pm

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 11:56pm
Alex,

In my 15 years with the same company working sales and marketing nationally I have come to realize certain things.  One, that you cannot change people unless they come to know what change actually represents.  Two, "you" will not change people but your actions will.

Changing people in business is not about the process of having a great service, although that is necessary, rather changing personal habits and paradigms that the market will see within you and your company in front of the business that sets the pace.

You see, if I have the choice to buy from two places that sell the same  product and one place says this is the cost, take it or leave it, and the other says this is the cost and your satisfaction and happiness is important to us because we base ourselves on core foundations in the relationship with the customer, I will more than likely buy from the "relational" company.

I have never seen a relational company deceive a customer.  I've also never seen any company perform at 100% and not drop some balls every now and then.   The  process of pleasing a client is all based on selling yourself first... sales 101.  You cannot sell your company before you sell yourself, and you cannot sell your product before you sell your company.  It's hard to sell something everyone else has if you don't have something else to sell with it... you.  You is the unique identifier.

DS has no doubt shown that they can sell themselves to a demanding market, and they have no doubt shown that they can stand firm on a core foundation promoting a great company.  Let me share some core values  that my company  promotes within the company core, and in the field and customer base.

Integrity
Humility
Compassion
Honesty in Intention
Trust

Can anyone reading say that DS hasn't exhibited these core values since they have been serving you?  I gain nothing from this by saying these things about this company, I simply speak as I see it.   it seems like "the right thing to do" by saying this about these guys here, doesn't it?  It surly doesn't feel wrong.

Here's a quote by Theodore Roosevelt that I quote often in my sales seminars with clients, and potential clients...

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

I get choked up every time I read this simply because it defines the essence of man's most basic desire to be his best in the most difficult moments.  This is the credo of any good salesman in the field and it reveals the human nature of us all, whether you realize it or not, to be our best so we can at least say in the end, we tried hard at the least.

It's not about getting 100 out of 100 everytime we swing the bat, yet there are those that will always hold everyone accountable but themselves when it comes to personal failure.  No one is perfect, so we strive for it rather than make it the expectation.  I would rather spend a lifetime of coming close to the mark and having room to improve than setting lofty expectations that will always be scrutinized and criticized.

This is for the DS team... all of them.  I would highly recommend, if you haven't already, pick these two books up and read.  You have already shown many of us that you base your operations in relationship, so you've already poured an enormously strong foundation.  These books help you understand the building blocks to place on it and grow a company that will continue to reap what you experience here, now.  They will help you understand the benefit that lies beyond the business that is called personal growth and how that relates to you as a business team, and how it affects your personal lives.  Don't fool yourselves into believing that business is just about the revenue.  Wouldn't it be awesome if you found out that your business could be a platform to change the way people think personally about you and those around them.  The books are...

"Leadership and Self Deception" (Stephen R. Covey) (Arbinger Institute)

"Good To Great" (Jim Collins)

These books can change your outlook on the marketplace and what you want your company to look like in it.  I get nothing out of this by mentioning it, but it has changed my company of almost 30 years by applying the principles spoken about within the books.  Our company is employee owned.  87 percent of its stock was sold to just under 100 employees.  We are involved in a ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) and vest 100% in 5 years.  We all are geared and focused on the goal, which is why we were recognized in San Francisco this year at the National ESOP Recognition Convention as the most evolved and progressed ESOP company nationally.  We beat out a number of fortune 500 companies that have thousands of employees.  We were also recognized in the city of San Antonio, TX as the best place to work out of many large firms and companies around us.  Sometimes the small guys make the biggest impacts and I can see DS moving that way.

jrose View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 12:21am
not too worry, alex, i'd rather have you guys busy, and taking your time making sure all is well with the final product, then shipping something that ain't quite right..... like so many other companies too often do these days....

thanks for the info.....

jim rose
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 2:13am

EdH63, thank you for taking your valuable time to write up such a detailed and informative post. I have taken my notes and will read up on your recommendations. Once again, thank you.

Jim, thank you for understanding.

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 2:46pm
Hot damn...nice to meet you Jim Rose..hope we both have good experiences with our new DS machines...EDh63 and others who add to these forums...I really do learn from this stuff...and where else in the world is this class being taught in this manner....hhhhmmmm

Guests View Drop Down
bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 7:03pm
Original order on 9/6.  DS contacted me and said processor was no longer being made and I could either upgrade at additional cost or downgrade for credit.  I upgraded on 9/11.  Never heard a thing till I emailed them again on 9/17 and they haven't started building system and now the power supply is not available.   I wouldn't have cared about the delay if they would have had the courtesy either when I ordered or when we change the processor that they where running behind.  Now I cancelled order and they want to charge me 5% restock fee on something they didn't build.   Pretty shady business practices in my opinion,  but my opinion never counts as long as they get thier money.  
sundowner View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 8:04pm

All I can think to say is when you're trying to discredit a company, use spellcheck.

Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 8:44pm
That's not how it should have been done. Who ever you spoke with didn't follow a specific exception we have on the order cancellations. If it is under Digital Storm's fault, then we provide a 100% refund back to the customer. In this case, you will be receiving a full refund.

We have hired a lot of new staff, and they are learning on a day to day basis with workshops towards the end of the day, you must have spoken with a new employee. Ghost, I still have not received a reply from you about the private message I sent. Please message me your order number so I can take care of this for you. If you would have asked to speak with a supervisor, such as me, I would have been more than happy to take care of the full refund while you were still on the phone. Smile

Warm Regards,
Alex

Original order on 9/6.  DS contacted me and said processor was no longer being made and I could either upgrade at additional cost or downgrade for credit.  I upgraded on 9/11.  Never heard a thing till I emailed them again on 9/17 and they haven't started building system and now the power supply is not available.   I wouldn't have cared about the delay if they would have had the courtesy either when I ordered or when we change the processor that they where running behind.  Now I cancelled order and they want to charge me 5% restock fee on something they didn't build.   Pretty shady business practices in my opinion,  but my opinion never counts as long as they get thier money.  

Edited by Alex - 19 Sep 2007 at 9:01pm
Minion View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 9:15pm

This sounds like a miscommunication rather than typical DS business.   Ghost, IMHO,  you should have waited until everything was said and done before posting.  

People make mistakes....it's how they respond and address these issues that shows their true colors.  
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Minion

This sounds like a miscommunication rather than typical DS business.   Ghost, IMHO,  you should have waited until everything was said and done before posting.  

People make mistakes....it's how they respond and address these issues that shows their true colors.  

Well said
Hope Floats View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Minion

This sounds like a miscommunication rather than typical DS business.   

There is no way for him to know that, is there? I mean, really?

It sounds as if they lost a customer. That happens, can't be avoided. This is really between DS and Ghost, and I'd assume just stay out of it.

I play WoW a lot, and even with all the video settings cranked to the minimum I'm getting like 5 fps in a 25 man raid, and its really hurting my DPS. That, and my roommate had just built her own computer, and she plays with everything cranked up to maximum while never experiencing lag. Just watching her play and then comparing it to mine is like two completely different games.

Why did I chose Digital Storm? Well, at first I was thinking about just going through Newegg.com and building my own up with the help of my friends, but then my roommate began to have problems. Her game crashes every so often, maybe once every two hours.  That wouldn't be horrible if you were playing a single player game, but when you are trying to down a boss and you crash? You just let down 24 other people.  And thanks to Murphy, the crash always happens on a boss kill or arena battle.

I can't live with that frustration. I want a system that works, and if it doesn't work? I want a number to call as a lifeline, to get it working NOW. That's really how I came to Digital Storm. Their prices weren't all that different from the other companies I looked at, but they were the only ones that offered free customer support and full recovery discs at no extra charge. They thought it was that important for every customer to have the help they needed to make it Mandatory.  I like that. I also like that its a smaller company, and I really got a feeling once I looked at the forums that this might be the company I go to for all my computer needs. It really makes sense. Don't just sell me a computer, sell me your company and I'll buy computers from you until I croak. And my kids can by computers from you, and so on. Much like how there are families out there where everyone only buys Fords. Trust me, I live in Texas, brand loyalty is strangely compelling here in the heartland.

Anyhow, that's what is at stake.

However, I'll admit I'm beginning to feel a bit frustrated, as my situation is very close to Ghosts. I put in my order at the beginning of the month (September 6th, to be exact), and I got a call about a day or two before I was expecting the order to be shipped and told my Video Card configuration was no longer available (although the tech/sales guy admitted it was still an option on the website). I had it changed the next day, and now I've been waiting a week and I'm still in phase one.

The irony is I paid a bit extra for fast shipping, because I'm like a kid before Christmas and playing with my old system is torture, especially when my roommate can run through Shattrah without distortion whatsoever, and my dps just isn't what it should be. Add into that Valve's choice to unlock TF2 from the Orange Box early, it actually causes me physical pain to know there are people fragging fools left and right while I deal with the nightly frustrations of playing a very slow slideshow. To give an idea, I didn’t even know Nightbane cinder aoe had a graphic, or that you could see her shooting red fireballs out of her mouth during flight phase. I just knew to move if I was taking damage. When I saw my roommate go through the encounter, my jaw dropped. Its like everyone else is playing with this unfair advantage.

However, I am a patient person, and I understand how horrible the crunch can be. I also know that everything will be worth it if Digital Storm even half lives up to the hype they get from their community here on the forums, and I'll gladly recommend they order from them if everything works out.

Still, this doesn't stop me from checking my gmail account every couple of hours between classes to see if I've been updated to phase 2 yet, a new ritual that I've learned to embrace over the past 20 days.

You can be sure I'm going to check one more time immediately after I hit the post button. :P

Edited by Hope Floats - 20 Sep 2007 at 11:17am
Sonofek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Hope Floats

The irony is I paid a bit extra for fast shipping, because I'm like a kid before Christmas and playing with my old system is torture, especially when my roommate can run through Shattrah without distortion whatsoever, and my dps just isn't what it should be. Add into that Valve's choice to unlock TF2 from the Orange Box early, it actually causes me physical pain to know there are people fragging fools left and right while I deal with the nightly frustrations of playing a very slow slideshow. To give an idea, I didn’t even know Nightbane cinder aoe had a graphic, or that you could see her shooting red fireballs out of her mouth during flight phase. I just knew to move if I was taking damage. When I saw my roommate go through the encounter, my jaw dropped. Its like everyone else is playing with this unfair advantage.

Wait, Nightbane actually had graphics? o.O 

Ah, the woe of being a healer in WoW. All I sees is bars! 

Edited by Sonofek - 20 Sep 2007 at 11:55am
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 12:29pm
All true Hope, and I feel your pain.

I play Eve, not WoW, but I have the same lovely experiences with slideshow gameplay, dipping down to 2 to 3 fps at times, and PvP, which ought to be a joy, is something I avoid.

I worked in retail for almost 15 years before hanging it up. I spent a rather large percentage of my time "putting out fires": helping customers that didn't understand the items they had purchased, had made a purchase they had prepaid that was on backorder, or had an item that proved defective. I did whatever I could to make things right, even making house calls on my own time to check settings/setups in peoples' homes.

There's one thing I can say with absolute certainty. There is no way to please everyone when things go wrong. When someone hits that breaking point, which is different for everyone, the only thing that you can do is to expedite a refund and make their exit as pleasant as possible so they don't badmouth your business. If you do a very good job, they may even consider giving you another try after they have a chance to get some distance from the situation and really think about everything you tried to do for them.

As a salesman, you can only pray that you are fortunate enough to work for a business with the core values Digital Storm shows, time and again. Most salespeople are not that lucky. Even when things are hitting a rough patch, a part of me envies Alex his job, because despite having to put out those fires, he works for a business that seems to have integrity, and actually means it when they say quality and customer service are the top priorities. That, and being paid to play with the latest technology...

The other, larger part, is quite happy to be out of retail for good Tongue

When someone *does* have a bad experience though, it's not their fault. It's not Ghost's fault that someone dropped the ball, or that he hit his, individual breaking point for frustration. At that point (in my experience), it best to try as hard as possible to part as friends, which is exactly what it looks like Alex has tried to do.

Personally, despite a possible delay to shipping, this is the business I'll be buying from. It's actually been reinforced by this delay, because the delay is an effort to ensure quality. Most of the businesses I have worked for were more than happy to lower that quality bar in the interest of making an on time shipment in their worship of the almighty bottom line for the quarter. The difference maybe, is that I know going in what to expect.

I'd just encourage the majority of people that had an experience that went off without a hitch to be understanding of the very few that did not, and respect that they've reached a breaking point. If you feel a loyalty for a business because they have treated you well and met or exceeded your expectations, and want to help that business, helping to make that exit pleasant as possible seems to me to be more helpful than fighting a lost cause.

Another great book to add to the list:

Raving Fans, by Ken Blanchard

This one isn't really a "how to" and it is not a book on advanced concepts in business to customer relations, it simply reinforces a mindset or helps  someone new to customer service understand the basic concepts involved. It's narrative style makes it an easy read, even for non readers. If I were trying to help someone new to customer service understand what sort of impact they can have, I'd suggest reading/ having them read this.
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Hope Floats

However, I am a patient person, and I understand how horrible the crunch can be. I also know that everything will be worth it if Digital Storm even half lives up to the hype they get from their community here on the forums, and I'll gladly recommend they order from them if everything works out.

Still, this doesn't stop me from checking my gmail account every couple of hours between classes to see if I've been updated to phase 2 yet, a new ritual that I've learned to embrace over the past 20 days.

You can be sure I'm going to check one more time immediately after I hit the post button. :P

I ordered my DSO machine on Aug 27. It is going to arrive on my door step today! (Or Joe the UPS driver is a dead man....) So, it took over 3 calender weeks for for the machine to be built tested and delivered. It's a drag that DSO couldn't meet their advertised delivery schedule, and IMHO they need to improve their status updating process. Don't count on emails from DSO. I got one when my credit card was approved. That's it, but they've called me numerous times to answer my questions.

Three weeks really isn't that long to wait for a custom assembled computer. If you want a computer in a hurry, run down to Staples. They'll take care of you. You've got to have a little patience. Savor the antisipation. Clean up your computer area, backup your hard drives, post messages in this forum.... That's what I did. Don't wait for DSO to contact you.
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 3:15pm

My order was processed on September 6th - a pretty vanilla build with nothing exotic (see signature).  It was picked up by UPS yesterday, and my expected delivery date is next Tuesday.  Just a shade under 3 weeks.

That's a perfectly reasonable timeframe for a custom-built system with a 72-hour burn in.

Heck, when I ordered my car, I waited 3 months for it to be delivered!

Edited by 67alecto - 20 Sep 2007 at 3:16pm
Twister Pro
750W PS/Q6600 2.4GHz/680i LT/2GB Corsair 800/9800GTX/X-Fi XtremeGamer/Stage 2 Cooling
Vanquish II
430W Corsair/i3 3.3 GHz/Asus H61M/8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/650Ti Boost 2Gb
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 3:37pm
I hate USP, probably slowest postal service in North America. I am still waiting on my ipod nano's invisible shield and a pair of running shoes. It's been 2 weeks and the track & confirm hasn't been updated since Sunday... talk about bad service =\

Edited by skyR - 20 Sep 2007 at 3:37pm
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 12:07am

We are starting to get off track from the main topic of this thread.

I thank every one of you for waiting for us to make sure we send nothing but the best. I also respect that some people have a urgency and I wish them the best of luck.

For now, this thread will be locked, because we are now catching up and the delay is almost gone. Please contact us directly, 1-866-817-8676 for any questions or status checks. Also, Ghost, when you get a chance, please either call or message me so we can work something out.
 Post Reply Post Reply