FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samsung XP941 Questions (if DS can order this)

Post Date: 2014-10-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Samsung XP941 Questions (if DS can order this)
    Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:50am
Hey Folks,
Sorry for all the questions lately.  I pretty much have my SSD choice down to the Samsung 850 Pro vs. Samsung XP941 (provided DS can order it which I think they could unlike the SM951).  A couple of questions (fyi - I'm thinking of the Rampage V Extreme motherboard):  most importantly 1). has this become a 'bootable' drive? and 2). what are people's opinions of this vs. the 850 Pro?  Any insight is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 5:44pm
well, since the XP941 is on PCie it isn't limited by SATA 6 Gbps interface, which means it's performance potential is better, because PCIe moves the bottleneck from the host interface to the actual NAND.  it's the fastest client ssd on the market today, as long as you get it in capacities higher than 128GB.

the only problem is that it doesn't support booting in Windows (unless the 9-series mobos have addressed this).  it also lacks proper TRIM support, no hardware encryption support or power loss support. 

there's also the matter of storage size.  i think the XP941 is limited to 512 GB max.

i found an article on compatible mobos and instructions on booting with the XP941 here: https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/189

Edited by db188 - 30 Oct 2014 at 6:02pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:25pm
Thanks for the reply db188.  Actually TRIM support is there with Windows 8.1 from what I read.  The booting in Windows I'm not so sure about.  It may be more of a headache than its worth vs. the Samsung 850 Pro from what I'm seeing.  That said, thanks for the URL.  It looks like it does support the Rampage V Extreme but only supports x2 SLI?  Hmmmm.  I do appreciate the response!!

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 30 Oct 2014 at 7:27pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:36pm
that would be the X99 board i'd choose as well.  it supports sli at x16/x16 +M.2 x4 at the same time.  that doesn't mean you can't go with more vid cards in x8/x8/x8 for example. 

as far as using it as a boot drive, that is one of the mobos that supports it, but you have to go into the bios and manually set it to M.2 from it's normal "auto" setting from the reports i've read.  an easy setting change.

i'm actually waiting on the 3rd gen (3D V-NAND) M.2 with NVMe (Samsung SM951), which should be available soon for retail. 

Edited by db188 - 30 Oct 2014 at 7:38pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:58am
Thanks again db188.  Yes, the SM951 was the one I was originally interested in but according to Alex (see my other post), DS won't be able to get this until it moves into the e-retailer market.  That said, I thought I read that this wouldn't be going to be retail until sometime next year.  That SSD looks very nice and a little less setup issues than the XP941.  With the way it's shaping up, it seems like the 950 Pro may be a better way to go for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply