Samsung SM951 Throttling

Post Date: 2015-02-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Samsung SM951 Throttling
    Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:38pm
Anandtech just posted a report on the new Samsung SM951 M.2 drives with PCI-e 3.0 x4 connectivity. While the drives have blazing performance, it looks like they will heat up substantially and begin throttling performance. I'm pretty sure the enthusiast community will get all sorts of cooling solutions for these kinds of high performance drives, quite possibly even water-cooling for them.
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 7:05pm
I actually saw that.  I'm curious though as they are due out in late May but a couple of weeks later, a number of other vendors will have their PCIe SSDs for Computex in early July so it may be moot depending on what the other vendors come out with...
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:08pm
Interesting that SSD drives can heat up under standard voltage. I really wanted M2, but DS doesn't seem to have jumped onto the M2 bandwagon yet

Edited by michaeljhuman - 24 Feb 2015 at 11:09pm
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

I actually saw that. I'm curious though as they are due out in late May but a couple of weeks later, a number of other vendors will have their PCIe SSDs for Computex in early July so it may be moot depending on what the other vendors come out with...

We'll see how other controllers fair, but I wouldn't be surprised if others have similar issues while pushing that much through-put. You can see Plextor, with their M6e Black Edition that only has a PCI-e 2.0 x2 interface, has put a full heat-sink on their drive.

Originally posted by michaeljhuman

Interesting that SSD drives can heat up under standard voltage. I really wanted M2, but DS doesn't seem to have jumped onto the M2 bandwagon yet

I haven't seen them go for components that aren't on the shelves that consumers can buy. Granted, it is possible to get the Samsung XP941 through Amazon and Newegg, it hasn't always been the case, nor was it initially intended to. So maybe that will change with the SM951; especially now that the latest BIOS' on the motherboards with M.2 slots now support boot from AHCI.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 7:42am
From what I've heard from Alex, if something is available in the 'e-vendor' space, they can get it.  The XP941 & SM951 are pretty much OEM parts.  Granted Newegg & Amazon along with RAM City were able to carry them at a later point but initially they weren't for 'public consumption'.  From what I've read, the SM951 will be initially sold through RAM City in late May (for us in the USA, RAM City has an Amazon site).  RAM City does offer the warranty etc. which you wouldn't get if you buy off of ebay.  I was seriously considering getting one of these but the timing and the heat throttle has turned me off a bit and I'd like to see some NVMe support.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:00am
We can definitely order hardware for customer builds that are available on the open market.

In regards to M.2 drives for laptops, requests from our customer have not been that high so we have not really offered them. Especially when we offer a full size SSD.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 12:05pm
An interesting comment on the SM951:

"Samsung will have the SM951 available in different SKU’s for those who need the AHCI interfaces and another for those who need NVMe support."

That makes this a bit more interesting I guess.  Here's the article:

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/samsung-sm951-pcie-3-0-m-2-ssd-in-mass-production/?PageSpeed=noscript

Post Reply Post Reply