Samsung: Blu-ray has 5 Years Left, OLED HD on the

Post Date: 2008-09-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Samsung: Blu-ray has 5 Years Left, OLED HD on the
    Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:56pm
Samsung: Blu-ray has 5 Years Left, OLED HD on the Way

Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung forsees a short future for Blu-ray

Blu-ray has 5 years left before it is replaced by a new technology or format according to Samsung. Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK told gadget news site Pocket-lint "I think it [Blu-ray] has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10".

Griffiths believes that 2008 will be the Blu-ray format's prime year. "It's going to be huge", he told Pocket-lint. "We are heavily back-ordered at the moment." With the move to offer cheaper players and one clear choice following the Blu-ray/HD DVD battle, Griffiths says the format will be a short term winner.

In the article, Griffiths also mentions that Samsung is putting its faith in its OLED HD technology. The new technology is almost ready, but is being held back by high manufacturing costs. "We will launch the OLED technology when it's at a price that will be appealing to the consumer, unfortunately that's not yet."

Griffiths, predicts by 2010 OLED technology will become mainstream and that it will replace LCD. "It's gonna be big, but at the moment it's a great story, not commercial, product," said Griffiths

Samsung previewed two OLED screen televisions at IFA in Berlin earlier in the month, introducing larger models than Sony. Coming in at 14-inch and 31-inch models, the screens are incredibly thin, and produce vivid contrasts and colors. Sony settled for second place with 9-inch and 27-inch models.

Griffiths believes a completely HD future is around the corner, "In 2012 we will be in a true HD world. Everything from your television to your camcorder will be offering you pictures in high-definition, and we plan to offer you that HD world from all angles." From Griffiths’ perspective, this future may not include Blu-ray.

FLighT View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 6:15am

It sounds like their talking about display technology (the viewing screen) not source material (Blu-Ray Disk). Or are they implying is it lkely there will be a compatability issue? Or that OLED's will replace the current info retrieval scheme of Blu Ray?

If Blu-Ray won't play then more than likely neither will standard def disks. And what's the TV broadcast industry going to do?

Something doesn't make sense.

Edited by FLighT - 14 Sep 2008 at 6:17am
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 7:07am
Yes its confusing at first, but then i read the comma, its just two articles in one.

1. The director is just saying that he doesnt believe Blueray will last long and ANOTHER [non-specific] format will take its place.

2. In the meanwhile [onto another topic], they [samsung] are planning to release their OLED HD displays, which will replace LCDs by 2010.

Edited by Duke - 14 Sep 2008 at 7:08am
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
Rolet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rolet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 11:41am
I would think it would have the opposite affect. When samsung releases the OLED HD, the LCD will become the norm in every household.
x9700 @ 3.60 Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1200W PC Power & Cooling ESA
2 8800 Ultra OC
4GB 1800 OCZ
150g raptor (Raid 0), 1TB
Watercool CPU/Dual GPU
Creative XiFi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply