Post Date: 2015-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Request help on wiping an SSD
    Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:53am
Hey guys and gals, I have an Intel 520 that I would like to use as an extra game drive that still has the old data on it. I have been reading various articles on how to wipe an SSD and most recommend only 1 pass since you do not want to damage and or reduce the lifespan of the SSD. The main problem I am having is what to use to wipe the data from it's memory cells since the Intel SSD Toolbox will not recognize it through my cablematters docking station using a USB cable.
Does anyone have any ideas on software or best practices to get rid of all data off an SSD for reuse?
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
16GB Corsair Platinum 3000mhz
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
2 Asus Strix 1080 8GB SLI
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:05pm

You can try this.

The key to this tip is that you are making use of TRIM, something that is built into the OS, and supported by all SSDs these days. What TRIM does is zero flash in the background when it finds out the data is no longer needed. When you empty the recycle bin for instance, the flash that held that data gets trimmed. If you format a drive, the TRIM function is run first, which is how this tip works.

To secure erase an SSD in Windows, first run the Windows Computer Management application, and go to Disk Management (in Windows 8, simply right click the bottom left corner in Desktop mode, and start Disk Management).

Find the drive you need to secure erase, and delete all partitions from it:
Simply right click the partition, click “Remove Partition” and it will warn you that the data will be wiped.

The next step is to recreate a new partition. Right click on the unallocated space, create a new “Simple Drive” and follow the steps. Default settings are best.

Your drive is now fully trimmed, and filled with zeros!

Hope this does it for you but if not just re-post here and don't forget to include what OS you are using.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 5:04pm
[QUOTE=Pacesetter]
You can try this.

The key to this tip is that you are making use of TRIM, something that is built into the OS, and supported by all SSDs these days. What TRIM does is zero flash in the background when it finds out the data is no longer needed. When you empty the recycle bin for instance, the flash that held that data gets trimmed. If you format a drive, the TRIM function is run first, which is how this tip works.

To secure erase an SSD in Windows, first run the Windows Computer Management application, and go to Disk Management (in Windows 8, simply right click the bottom left corner in Desktop mode, and start Disk Management).

Find the drive you need to secure erase, and delete all partitions from it:
Simply right click the partition, click “Remove Partition” and it will warn you that the data will be wiped.

The next step is to recreate a new partition. Right click on the unallocated space, create a new “Simple Drive” and follow the steps. Default settings are best.

Your drive is now fully trimmed, and filled with zeros!

Hope this does it for you but if not just re-post here and don't forget to include what OS you are using.

Thanks Pacesetter, I have Windows 7 Home Edition, the only thing I'm not understanding is we are talking about an SSD not HDD. Does Windows Disk Manager look at the memory cells of an SSD like partitions? And if we are talking partitions, how does Windows equate them to the cell blocks of an SSD?    
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:43pm

These instructions will work on Win7 also. The difference is how you get to computer management. If I remember right, start - control panel - administrator tools = computer management - disk management.

The partitioning is the same. It's mostly the drivers that handle the cell blocks (flash memory) vs blocks on an HDD.

Windows works along with the drivers for the partitioning and the drivers handle the storage and memory cells. This way you can partition the SDD if you need/want to.

I kinda took 3 pages and put it into 3 paragraphs but I hope this answers your questions.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:00am
If still having a problem, can you connect your SSD to a SATA instead of the USB?    If the SATA are all occupied then temporarily disconnect one of your secondary drives or optical drive. This would allow Toolbox to be used.

MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:39am
Originally posted by bprat22

If still having a problem, can you connect your SSD to a SATA instead of the USB?    If the SATA are all occupied then temporarily disconnect one of your secondary drives or optical drive. This would allow Toolbox to be used.

Thanks bprat22, I will try your method first. I was actually thinking about doing this but wasn't sure whether to go this route. Anyway, thanks again.

A thanks to you as well pacesetter, appreciate the help. Big%20Smile
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply