Recurring Issue

Post Date: 2015-03-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Recurring Issue
    Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 3:43pm
Evening all,

Some time ago I posted about an issue I had where I turned my computer on, it went through a cycle of rebooting itself a couple of times, and then had no monitor activity. I managed to fix the problem last time by pulling out and putting back in the CMOS battery. This was a pain in the ass, but it managed to fix the issue.

I'm now having the same problem. No monitor activity. I've tried messing with the monitor's power cables, all the same things I tried last time (with the exception being pulling out the CMOS, really trying to avoid that) to no avail. I also, at bprat's suggestion from last time, tried unplugging the rig from the wall, and holding the power button down. Nothing.

Any suggestions? And again, any idea what could cause this to happen? The rig has not been moved, hardly touched, so I'm not sure what could cause this to happen. Semi-urgent, as I'm burning valuable study time :(

Thanks.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
HydroLux Level 4 (3x GPU + CPU. No chipset)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:18pm
Hi Eggy... I'm not at my rig so can't access some of my info, so this is my memory.

When it finishes rebooting and no display, are the fans, lights on?

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:18pm
After looking through the binder that came with my PC, one of the recommended fixes actually is to clear the CMOS/BIOS. Wondering if there's an easier way to do this than pulling out the battery. The instructions say to press the clear/reset CMOS bios button on my motherboard.

On my motherboard, there is a reset button on the top right under a red "start" button. It is on the complete other end of the board from the CMOS battery - is this the same reset button? Or is there a different one I should try pressing? 

For reference: http://stech2.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/R5E-1.jpg

the button is at the top righthand side of the mobo, and the CMOS is down between slots 3 and 4. I don't see another reset button at a glance, but I want to be sure.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:19pm
Fans and lights are on. Per my instruction booklet, I tried pressing capslock - LED on my keyboard does not toggle on, which apparently means it is NOT a monitor/cable issue, but a hardware issue. Which again confuses me, as the rig has not budged an inch.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:21pm
Yes, that's the cmos button you can use.   You can also just go into Bios, DEL on boot and load defaults, F5 I think, and drop the cpu overclock.

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:24pm
Yeah, I'll have to reset to even get back to the bios. Do you think it's the overclock that is causing this to occur? Seems odd that it would work just fine last night when I shut down, and then this afternoon decide it doesn't like the OC.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:29pm
If the caps lock led doesnt light then that can mean Windows didn't load or you have no USB. With no display, you can't tell. It could point to a bad OS drive not loading Windows. If you can boot to bios and get a display then it could be a drive issue.   If still no display then mobo, etc can be at fault.

Any Q code fault on the two digit display near the cmos , start button?

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:30pm
Not sure what a Q code fault is?

I pressed reset, now I'm in the bios trying to find the screen to load the DS profile. The display is showing "CE"
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:35pm
You pressed reset or cmos?     The q code are faults displayed for bad ram, cpu etc. The q code is CE?

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Mar 2015 at 4:36pm
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:37pm
And now that it's working again, it's showing "AA". 
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:40pm
I'd have to lookup the codes.    Tough on this dang tablet.

Your mobo manual should have a section describing each code.

Everything is working after cmos reset?
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:54pm
Just looked it up on ASUS forums. Apparently bothcodes are normal. All is working. Just got off the phone with support. The way I'm looking at it now, I know how to fix the problem when it occurs. If it continues to happen, it could be a mobo issue and will have to send it in. Trying to avoid that for now, but we'll see if the problem crops up again within the next month.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:04pm
A quick check said CE is diagnostic code for being in Bios and AA means a memory clock change. But, I can't be sure.   It would make sense, the CE and AA if you reset cmos.   Your ram speed and timing might've gone to default. It'll still work with a different ram setting, if that's what it means.

Instead of a mobo issue it could be your ram.   But, I'm speculating without knowing for sure.

Glad you got it running. Nice work.
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:01pm
food for thought: (got this for another problem but thought of this thread also)

Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang)

The Stop error code and the PowerButtonTimestamp are listed as zero.
For example, consider the following scenarios:

•The Stop error BugcheckCode value is listed as zero. Circumstances can prevent writing the Stop error BugcheckCode information before the computer restarts or shuts down. In this case, a BugcheckCode value of zero is logged. Also, perhaps no Stop error occurred, and the shutdown resulted from a power loss. For example, on a portable computer, this could mean that the battery is removed or completely drained. Or, on a desktop computer, this could mean that the computer was unplugged, or a power outage occurred.

•The PowerButtonTimestamp is listed as zero. Circumstances can prevent writing the PowerButtonTimestamp information before the computer restarts or shuts down. In this case, a value of zero is logged. This can occur if the power button is pressed and held for at least four seconds when Windows has an operation running that prevents writing the event to disk. You might also see this scenario if the computer is “hard-locked” and therefore unresponsive to any input, and the computer has to be powered off.

To determine whether the computer is unresponsive, try pressing the CAPS LOCK key to toggle the CAPS light on the keyboard.
To check whether this scenario is occurring, press the CAPS LOCK key on the keyboard. When you do this, if the CAPS LOCK light on the keyboard does not change when you press the CAPS LOCK key, the computer may be completely unresponsive (hard hang).

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:
1.Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.

2.Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.

3.Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.

4.Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.

5.Defaults: Reset the system back to the system defaults to see whether the issues occur when the system is running in its default configuration.

If you see that the computer generates a Stop error that contains a BugcheckCode value that is not reported in an event ID, change the restart behavior for the computer.
To do this, follow these steps: 1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2.Click Advanced system settings.
3.Click the Advanced tab.
4.In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
5.Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

This should display an error on screen rather than auto-restart.

Edited by Pacesetter - 31 Mar 2015 at 6:36pm
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
 Post Reply Post Reply