Quiet, Powerful, Future-proof System

Post Date: 2013-09-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quiet, Powerful, Future-proof System
    Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 7:56pm
Hello everyone. First-time boutique purchaser here, thinking of Digital Storm for my first true gaming rig. I'll likely be buying in the first major sale after Christmas, depending on how finances work out. If you suspect that something is going to shake things up before then, let me know - I suspect that the R9-290X is out of my price range, but I'm curious if it's expected to shake up pricing on (say) the GTX 770.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Budget:
$2400-$2500 (sans monitor/peripherals)

Expectations:
A quiet system suitable for smooth 1080p@60fps gaming while easily upgradeable in 2-4 years.

Usage:
Mixed Use Gaming (World of Tanks, Starcraft II, Borderlands 2, Civilization 5, Dragon Age: Inquisition)
Movie Watching
General Office tasks

Special Needs:
Quiet. This computer will be no more than 2-3 feet and a thin partition away from a toddler's bed. The toddler is a sound sleeper, but jet engine cooling is out of the question.

Future-proof. I'm comfortable with plug-and-play components, so I intend to swap in more RAM and switch to a dual SLI setup in future. My current thinking is to add a second GTX 770 in 2-4 years; the 4GB VRAM is a hedge against likely expansions in VRAM requirements if I'm still using the card in 5-6 years. Similarly, the i7 is for CPU-bound strategy games and potential future demands, as I don't plan to swap in a new CPU at any stage. I may even throw in a special order Thunderbolt motherboard, just in case that tech takes off.

Saved Ticket #: 875477

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated (Dual SLI Compatible) <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST) <b></b>
Storage Set 1: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series) <b></b>
Storage Set 2: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) <b></b>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <b></b>
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 10:34pm
Welcome to DS, Counsel!

Looks like a good build. Who knows what kind of pricing is around the corner with new GPU's coming out. We will all have to wait and see.

875532 $2200 - To save a few bucks, I would recommend switching to the i5 4670K and ASUS Gryphon. Case is now the Virtue (Corsair 350D) w upgraded Corsair fans.
875534 $2496 - Same as above but switching out your 770 for a 780 SC (nearly equal to a reference Titan). You could save a couple of dollars going with the reference 780.

Most of these newer systems run pretty quiet and you would probably end up removing most of the sound panels from the Slade case to increase airflow anyway. If you're not going to go SLI in 9-15 months, skip it. In 2 years there will be 2 generations newer GPU out outpacing your 770 or even dual 770's none the less what will be out in 4 years. Just stick to a single GPU and upgrade it. If you're planning on SLI, I would recommend either the ODE or HAF-X cases as these smaller mid-tower cases can generate a lot of internal heat which will mean you'll have to crank up those fans to move the air.

Good luck with your build!

Edited by fstcvc - 29 Sep 2013 at 10:35pm
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 7:13am
Hi Counsel...   The rig you configured is probably about as quiet as you can get. The 550D,  when left with the top and side acoustic panels on, is quiet.   

I agree with fstcvc to stick with a single card, unless you do the sli up front.  Plus, the 550d isn't the case of choice for some of us for a sli setup and leaving the case as-is.

The 750w psu is great for a single 770/780, but for sli, a 850W or better is recommended by trusted testers.  A 750w would work with sli, but puts more stress on the psu in the 80% + of rated psu wattage. 

The R9-290X is rumored to be about the price of a gtx 780, $650 or so,  and beat the 780 and Titan in performance, but only time will tell.

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Sep 2013 at 7:16am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 11:14am
The side panels of the 550D already have noise dampening material in the side panels, so no need for: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)

Also, with this case DS suggests their "Digital Storm HydroLux Thermal Management Control Board & Software" for quiet operation.

I think going to the Gryphon motherboard would be a good choice. If it is you get it into your budget, the GTX 780 would give you better future proofing, but the GTX 770 in no slouch. I think the graphics card would server better for gaming then the higher end CPU. So the i5 4670K could save you some money toward that upgrade.

The suggested Virtue case could bring the price down a bit, but it isn't equipped with the noise reducing side panels.

Oh, and don't forget the free T-Shirt!

Edited by danjw1 - 30 Sep 2013 at 11:21am
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 6:04pm
Thanks for all the feedback! This is the kind of info you can't get just by reading tech specs and reviews of individual components.

A few more questions:
In terms of future-proofing and GPUs, one question I have concerns cost. GPUs in 2-4 year's time will obviously be considerably more powerful than today's cards. But in terms of value for performance, will it really be worth it to upgrade to an entirely new single GPU rather than dropping in a (now cheap) old GPU in SLI configuration?

Along those lines, it sounds like the 550D would have airflow issues in an SLI configuration. (Barring Hydrolux or another sophisticated solution I'm probably not up to installing.) Is this something that could be handled by simply removing the panels, or would it need additional fans? How would this affect the noise levels?

Would the HAF X be a better choice for keeping noise levels down?

Edited by Counsel - 30 Sep 2013 at 6:45pm
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 6:29pm
You may not even be able to find those cards in 2-4 years and it's hard to say how powerful a new generation of GPU or 4 generations of GPU will be. If you're gonna run SLI, I would recommend the ODE or HAF-X case as they have more internal air space (especially the HAF-X). HAF-X uses large 200mm fans running slowly but moving tons of air. The 550D & 350D are rather small and you might have to crank up the fans which will create more noise and you will definitely want to use a reference cooled card vs any of the ACX or dual/triple fan models as they will dump huge amounts of heat into your case - even more so if you run 2 of them. I'm not even sure if there is enough room to add the Hydrolux controller into some of the smaller cases - you'd have to ask DS about that. The GTX 7xx series is quite a bit more efficient than previous generations but still create a lot of heat. Newer cards may become more efficient (but nobody knows the future). Running a single card will also reduce the chance of a game not working fully with SLI.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 5:30pm
This is all great info, thanks. Here's my current thinking as to my options.

One is to go with the 550D for a very quiet system. However, this would only work well with a single reference card; going with multi-fan card or SLI setup would require removing panels / boosting fans, significantly raising noise levels and defeating the purpose of going with the 550D in the first place.

The second is to go with the ODE or HAF-X case, which aren't as naturally quiet as the 550D, but have dramatically superior airflow, so they both handle twin fan cards and SLI setups better, and probably end up handling them quieter than the 550D.

However, it might not make sense to look at an SLI-ready configuration, as by the time I get around to dropping in a second card, it might be hard to find an identical card to drop in, and GPU tech may have advanced so far it makes sense just to upgrade a single card. (I'm not planning 4k or surround displays.)

Weighing the factors, I'm thinking that the 550D does make the most sense, provided it can handle a high-level reference card. It sounds like nobody's too concerned about how the i5 will hold up in the future, so I'm going with the suggestion to drop down to i5 and step up to the GTX 780. I also noticed that Digital Storm has added a Thunderbolt-compatible motherboard, which I think is a valuable future-proofing feature in a household with a lot of Macs. I've dropped the Western Digital drive to snag it while staying within budget - I can drop one in easily enough later, and I have an external HD to tide me over until then.

Here's my new build: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=876586

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Intel Thunderbolt Technology) <b></b>
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated (Dual SLI Compatible)
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 1: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <b></b>
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans <b></b>
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only) <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:52pm
Looks like a solid build to me!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 8:30am
Excellent! I'll revisit the build in a few months time when I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I'm pretty happy with how this is looking.

One last thought - it looks like EVGA are able to squeeze 80-100 more Hz out of the 780 while keeping the reference cooling solution. (http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+700+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+780)

Digital Storm doesn't offer this particular EVGA card, but do you think it's worth paying $45 for a Digital Storm overclock on a reference GTX 780? (Particularly considering that EVGA might only be hitting those numbers through selective binning.)

Edited by Counsel - 03 Oct 2013 at 1:33pm
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 8:56pm
I would just get the EVGA SuperClocked version and be done with it. No fuss.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 11:44am
Originally posted by fstcvc

I would just get the EVGA SuperClocked version and be done with it. No fuss.

The ACX Twin-Fan version? I'd love to have a Titan-level card in my rig, but wouldn't that dump too much heat in for a closed-up 550D to handle?

Edited by Counsel - 04 Oct 2013 at 12:26pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 1:43pm
Hi Counsel... I think a single 780 ACX, twin fan, would be ok in the 550d case. It does have good not great air flow.    The card might, and I'm guessing, get into the 80s but still safe.    Sli would be a problem.

Even though the 0c'd 780 does show a decent boost in performance, unlike most cards, I would stick with reference for less stress on card and just less to worry about with that case.

Just me.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 10:44pm
EVGA makes a SC version of the 780 with a reference style cooler. It's not as heavily OC'd as the one with the ACX twin fan cooler but will boost the GPU a little (probably a few more fps). If you plan on OC'ing your GPU, just stick with the factory set ones for less worries of damaging the card.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 6:11pm
Hello again everyone. Year end has arrived, and I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new system. My requirements haven't changed, but it looks like a couple of factors have moved in my favor - the GTX 780 has dropped in price, making it an attractive add, and the base PSU on the Slade has been bumped up a notch to the EVGA SuperNOVA, while the 850W Corsair RM has been added as a premium option.

My current thinking it to run with the GTX 780, the former because it continues to be an excellent GPU with G-Sync potential, and the Corsair RM because it's modular, quiet, and has enough heft to make adding a second GTX 780 a possibility without rewiring the whole system. Given the current holiday special, I'm also willing splash out a little over my original $2500 budget to bump up the warranty, but I'm not sure how that's handled with the current special on a 4 year warranty.

Questions:
1) Any thoughts on the 850W Corsair RM? The reviews are generally favorable, but the original manufacturer is Chicony Power Technology, so I'm wondering if anyone has any bad impressions. Also, will a gold-rated 850W PSU push two GTX 780s?
2) Does anyone know how 5-year warranties are handled with the current bonus 4-year warranty? Do you select 4-year and get bumped up? Select 5 year and get a $99 credit for the free 4th year? Or do you just pay full price for 5 years? (This one might be more of a question for Alex, actually. I'll shoot him an email.)

For reference, here's the build I'm currently looking at:

Ticket Number: 910081
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,563.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/configcheck.asp?id=910081

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Intel Thunderbolt Technology) <b></b>
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM <b></b>
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST) <b></b>
Storage Set 1: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series) <b></b>
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <b></b>
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement) <b></b>

Edited by Counsel - 26 Dec 2013 at 7:14pm
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Counsel

Questions:
1) Any thoughts on the 850W Corsair RM? The reviews are generally favorable, but the original manufacturer is Chicony Power Technology, so I'm wondering if anyone has any bad impressions. Also, will a gold-rated 850W PSU push two GTX 780s?

Shouldn't be a problem. 2x780 have a maximum power draw of 500W, the CPU is only 84W (a bit more with the overclock). That leaves plenty of overhead.

2) Does anyone know how 5-year warranties are handled with the current bonus 4-year warranty? Do you select 4-year and get bumped up? Select 5 year and get a $99 credit for the free 4th year? Or do you just pay full price for 5 years? (This one might be more of a question for Alex, actually. I'll shoot him an email.)

Talking to DS is the best bet here.

For reference, here's the build I'm currently looking at:
Ticket Number: 910081
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,563.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/configcheck.asp?id=910081

Specifications:
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM <b></b>
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <b></b>
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement) <b></b>

Looks like a very solid build!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:10am
The 850RM shouldn't have any issues running 2 780's

Looks like a great PSU from reviews I've seen a month or so ago...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 10:19am

It is added to your cart when you check out.
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Alex

It is added to your cart when you check out.

Thanks Alex - that really is a solid deal.

And thank you everyone who chipped in with ideas on my build!

Edited by Counsel - 27 Dec 2013 at 10:40am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 10:47am
You're welcome! Thank you for choosing Digital Storm!
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 8:05pm
I'd been planning to make my next post an unboxing/review post. Sadly, this was not to be.

My Digital Storm system arrived today. After removing the protective packaging and taking out the interior foam package, I happily hooked it up, turned it on, and... black screen. No signal.

I am using my system in conjunction with a Dell U2414H and mini-DP-to-DP cable. I know that the monitor and cable are working; I've successfully used them with my 2010 Macbook Pro.

I have tried two configurations:
1) Plugging the full DP end into my monitor's DP port, and plugging the mini-DP port into my motherboard's Thunderbolt port. No signal.
2) Plugging the mini-DP end into my monitor's mini-DP port, and plugging the full DP end into the GPU's Displayport (after removing a small plastic blocker). No signal.

As far as I can tell, my machine is otherwise functional. When I push the power button, the power button lights up, and the fans (both CPU cooler and GPU) start spinning.

Reseating the GPU has had no effect. I do not have an HDMI cable (the only other input my monitor accepts), so I can't test that.

Due to my extensive work hours, I do not have access to my machine at any point during Digital Storm's business hours. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to get my machine up and running? This is incredibly deflating.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 8:43pm
Did you make sure everything was seated because sometimes things can get jolted from shipping. Also try plugging a Dvi or Hdmi cable into the graphics card if you haven't tried it.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 14 Jan 2014 at 8:44pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 11:24pm
Is that the only monitor you have on hand? If you have a TV + HDMI cable, try that instead of the Display Port on the graphics card.
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 7:10am
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

Did you make sure everything was seated because sometimes things can get jolted from shipping. Also try plugging a Dvi or Hdmi cable into the graphics card if you haven't tried it.

I tried reseating the graphics card; no luck there. Reseating the motherboard is probably beyond my capabilities.

Originally posted by Nav

Is that the only monitor you have on hand? If you have a TV + HDMI cable, try that instead of the Display Port on the graphics card.

I'm afraid that the U2414H is the only screen in the house that will take an input; the rest are on phones and laptops. I'm going to purchase an HDMI cable on the way home from work to see if I have better luck with that. Should I plug it into the motherboard HDMI port (currently open) or the GPU HDMI port (currently still closed off by a little plastic plug)?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 7:15am
Sorry to hear of the issues.   Not much worse than unpacking a rig such as yours and being unable to enjoy it.

Use the Video card's HDMI port for now.  You have the gtx 780?   Wasn't sure.  If it still doesn't work then unplug the video card and use the mobo HDMI just to confirm it is the card and not cable/monitor. 

I would think that it is a bad cable or adapter since it neither works with the card or Thunderbolt port on the mobo.  Possible for sure, but for both outputs to be bad isn't at all common.

Good Luck and let us know.  Big%20Smile

You could also, I believe, try the video card in the next Pciex16 slot to make sure you don't have a bad slot. 

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Jan 2014 at 7:18am
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 6:48pm
Success! One $15 HDMI cable, and my new rig is up and running. I'm installing various essentials as I type. I've ordered another Displayport cable (this monitor is supposedly 80Hz capable), but the major problem is now resolved. (All that time reading up on Z87-EXPERT error codes will be for naught).

I hope to have time for a full report this weekend.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 2:24am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 6:29am

Success! One $15 HDMI cable, and my new rig is up and running. I'm installing various essentials as I type. I've ordered another Displayport cable (this monitor is supposedly 80Hz capable), but the major problem is now resolved. (All that time reading up on Z87-EXPERT error codes will be for naught).

I hope to have time for a full report this weekend.

You should probably contact DS about replacing the graphics card. Since you know the monitors DisplayPort works with other devices, that is likely the issue you were seeing.
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 8:42am
Originally posted by danjw1

You should probably contact DS about replacing the graphics card. Since you know the monitors DisplayPort works with other devices, that is likely the issue you were seeing.

Yes, if the new DisplayPort cable doesn't work then I may still have to get a replacement card, because that would indicate the card's DisplayPort output is faulty.

Still, it's good to know that my rig is otherwise in good shape. Yesterday night was installation night. Tonight it's time to see what it can do...

fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 8:43am
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
 Post Reply Post Reply