FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions on Lance Laptop

Post Date: 2014-03-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
YoursTruly View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote YoursTruly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions on Lance Laptop
    Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:02pm
I'm thinking about getting a level 1 Lance laptop from DSO, after having bought my desktop little over 3 years ago. The experience so far with DSO has been amazing, and my desktop is still trucking a long with some upgrades here and there.

Ok, as far as portability how is DSO laptops? I want to travel with this one for trips and daily use for college. I'm hoping it'll fit in a backpack fairly easy and not be too bulky when I set it on my desk etc.

I'm pretty blind when it comes to laptop parts and performance. So I was wondering the life expectancy I should have for this laptop.

Games I usually play are League of Legends, I want to try out Blade & Soul when it releases in NA. Maybe Starcraft II, Diablo 3 and etc. and other than gaming programs. I'd be using it for school use.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 5:54am
Until they post the specs and model #, can't help yet.  Big%20Smile

Soon. Strong

Quote YoursTruly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 5:12pm
figured I'd bump this since they're in stock again :D and maybe asked if anyone knew a good laptop backpack or some sort to go with :D
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 8:12am
Most systems will have a lifespan of 3-5 years. Laptops are normally on the lower end of the scale due to not being as easily upgraded (if at all). It also depends on your usage - if you are pushing the system 100% from day one, longevity will be shorter but if you're only using 30-50% today, over the next few years you will peak at the 100% mark and feel the need to upgrade/replace... The more overhead you have now, the longer it will last as you won't use the maximum performance of the system for a while. All technology gets slower - it just depends on how slow you're willing to let it get before you get something new...

I would buy the best you can afford. And at least get a SSD/HDD pairing if you can't afford SSD only. This will make a huge difference...

As far as size, it doesn't look overly large or heavy for this class of laptop. You shouldn't have any problems finding a backpack laptop bag to fit this into.

Edited by fstcvc - 04 Apr 2014 at 8:13am
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling

Quote YoursTruly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 8:08pm
Do you think Level 2 lance specs are a better choice?

Also the Steam Big Picture Gaming Package: Includes Wireless Xbox 360 Controller is that just one of those 50 dollar controls and stream pre-installed? I'm fairly new to steam, but I enjoy it quite a bit. ^^ Thanks for the advice in advance.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:24pm
If the L2 Lance is within budget, then I'd go with that one. The upgrade to the GPU, CPU & SSD are all worth the extra $$. If not in your budget, then just adding the SSD to the L1 would give a good speed boost in load times...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
 Post Reply Post Reply