FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about future upgradability

Post Date: 2015-04-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Maso View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maso Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions about future upgradability
    Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 10:12pm
So, I'm completely new around here, so apologies if this topic doesn't belong here.

So, I purchased a Bolt II almost a year ago at this point, just in time to watch some fairly notable technology improvements crop up almost immediately afterwards (X99, DDR4, Haswell-E, Type C, and so on). I like to think that I'm not completely incompetent when it comes to PC tech, but I've started to worry about future-proofing (yes, "proofing" is a strong word; more like "catch up") with a lot of potentially useful tech coming out that looks as though it will need to rely on the new X99 in order to either function at all (worst case scenario; see Type C USB, DDR4, and I'm willing to bet Skylake whenever it eventually hits) or at least do so to optimal ability.

So my question, as a DS noob, is how the process of upgrading works when you're like me: too terrified of screwing something up irrepairably to dare attempt anything fancier than an HDD-to-SSD swap? Does DS offer any sort of trade-in program where older components can be sold back for store credit towards a new build, or would I probably have to track down a potential buyer and then start from scratch? Or, is there a way to ship my Bolt II off to have a professional accomplish something like a motherboard swap (mainly what I want to do)?

Any sort of answer would be appreciated, since I literally have no idea what I'm doing here, and eventually the day will come when I need to upgrade either way.

Bolt II build (the super-short, can't remember it all version:
Asus Maximus VII Impact (I believe)
NVidia GTX 780Ti
Intel i7-4790K (@4.0GHz)
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1866MHz RAM
(A 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD I intend to hang on to)
Arthur C. Clark:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 1:14am
If i'm not mistaken and this is from their service and support thingy in the configuration section: you get life-time labor free upgrades for component upgrades purchased directly from Digital Storm so yes you can send it back to them to do a mobo swap or anything else you want to have upgraded

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 15 Apr 2015 at 1:15am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Maso View Drop Down

Quote Maso Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 2:12pm
That's fantastic. I was afraid upgrading might end up being a pain. Thank you.
Arthur C. Clark:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
gbutts55 View Drop Down

Quote gbutts55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 4:29pm
Small form factor pc like a bolt is harder to upgrade especially for a computer noob. But yeah you can send to DS. Its easier to work on a traditional desk top first few times.
 Post Reply Post Reply