Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:31pm
If you bought a computer from that competiter, I might call you a ***** lover. See, that looks worse than if it just displayed the original word! Well, actually it doesn't look that bad.

Hi, EdH

Edited by Bill the Cat - 14 Jun 2009 at 1:34pm
3.6 GHz E6850, 4 GB RAM, GTS 250, TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 MB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by inferno23

not trying to argue or nothing (- the fact were getting off topic) but what so bad about the word in question i cant think of 2 many ways to use v-i-g-o-r in a bad and inappropiate form

No no, I believe you may have missed the point here.  The word "V-I-G-O-R" sounds (phonetically) very much like a derogatory word that we all know and should hate.  This is what the site decipher will catch and either correct to represent another word that is not offensive, or blank out with a number of asterisks or other like punctuation.

You see what I'm saying?  The word in question that you may want to use will be identified by the forum decipher as offensive, thus changed to stop the offense.

Edited by EdH63 - 14 Jun 2009 at 1:33pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:34pm
@ bill the cat  nice job bill i think you are the only one who would have though of that

@EdH63 i see what ure saying but still i dont see even phoentically with the word in question whats wrong with it maybe its just omethin's wrong with me

Edited by inferno23 - 14 Jun 2009 at 1:35pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Bill the Cat

If you bought a computer from that competiter, I might call you a ***** lover. See, that looks worse than if it just displayed the original word! Well, actually it doesn't look that bad.

Hi, EdH

I would agree, Bill, that it really is the "intent" or "motive" behind the word in question that is shown, or not.  But, can you imaging if just any derogatory word was allowed to appear on these forums?  No moderator in the world could stop the flame wars that would ensue.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:39pm
If the "decipher" replaced ***** with "robust enthusiasm", or something like that, I would't mind so much. That would actually be kind of cute.
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:40pm
well if i may lets get BtB what u guys think of my idea in the post b4 i got us off topic
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:41pm

@ bill the cat  nice job bill i think you are the only one who would have though of that

@EdH63 i see what ure saying but still i dont see even phoentically with the word in question whats wrong with it maybe its just omethin's wrong with me

I hear ya but, it's not how you perceive it, rather how the decipher perceives it.  You can have the best intention in the world or, you could be completely blind to the two words and how they rhyme.  The question is not how do we see the wrong or right of it but, how does the decipher see the connection between the two words and the potential danger.  Simply a safety precaution for the administrators of this site to establish a decent dialogue among members and potential customers.

Edited by EdH63 - 14 Jun 2009 at 1:43pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:44pm
So, what were we talking about?  Wasn't it that Bill never did commit to even looking at the hole in my backyard and reneging on the fantastic deal I was making him?  Yes, that was it. 
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:44pm

I certainly hope so.....
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:47pm

ACtually i had a great idea a long time ago. it was intially to show ppl that their wouldnt be that noticeble diffrence between an AMD vs intel platform in gaming. now i think it's be a greeat way to advertise especially since their prebuilt systems out now. THe idea was to have kinda like an DS conveention where DS invited ppl in their area or maybe their state to come down and play with their systems a bit ( do a little gaming on them) has some higher end and lower end of each platform maybe 4 AMD's and 4 intels and let them play on all 8 systems and tell you guys which was best then later on have another convention where gamers were invited ald have intel systems avilable the 1st and 2nd day then change the systems so they looked exactly the same but were now AMD and not let the user know and see if they noticed iny diffrence in the computer they were using. like i said i was gonna suggest it as an intel vs AMD platform thing but now i think itd give the best of both worlds. give lots of ppl a view of DS you'd definatley make local and statewide news + which would increase sales and customers and at the sam time give valuable reserch information that would loved to be heard by many on this forum and probably many others especially if most said they couldnt tell the diffrence between AMD and intel systems of the same level. but thats just my thoughts what bout every1 eles.

P.S of course DS could make ppl pay to be part of the convention 5$ a person could go a long way if enough participated

that was the last serious post b4 i got us off topic even though it was fun
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:49pm
Yes, but you need to ask Bill about the hole.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by EdH63

Yes, but you need to ask Bill about the hole.

As you'll recall, the hole was a bargin, but like all those offers you see on TV, the shipping and handling charges were prohibitive.
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:54pm
??? what are u guys babbling bout now lol
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 1:57pm
I do seem to recall that was an issue. However, I really can't see what the point is in bringing up such minor details.  At the price back then, a hole is a hole, whether shipping it is problem or not.  You'd think you could find a way to get the thing to your backyard.  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 2:04pm
guys I think the name of the other company is filtered and the filter software will catch anything that is starts the same way.

so if you filter V-I-G-O-R, the stupid filter will filter out

v i g o r o u s l y

v i g o r o u s

v i g o r o u s ness

or anything that starts that way

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jun 2009 at 2:05pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

guys I think the name of the other company is filtered and the filter software will catch anything that is starts the same way.

v i g o r o u s l y

v i g o r o u s

v i g o r o u s ness

That's not typically how a site is set to catch words (by company), however, you can set that word in the filter for that reason and block that word.  When I had my clan websites, I set the filters to catch words that are closely related to offensive "language".  There is no setting to catch "competitive companies" as to keep them from showing on your forums literally.  The filter is designed to catch offensive language.

Edited by EdH63 - 14 Jun 2009 at 2:11pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 2:08pm
lol we know we know ive been trying to get these goofs back on topic but its hopless( not saying they cant be funny). Bill will stop telling jokes as soon as the sun goes nova and another will be born next to planet X effectively reversing our 9 planent universe  8 planet sorry i was raised on 9 its kinda a habit ya know

Edited by inferno23 - 14 Jun 2009 at 2:25pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 2:24pm
Ed I think you misunderstood what I'm saying, first as you know I won my own forum so I'm well versed on how forums work.

second what I meant was that, say Alex went in to acp and set the word V-I-G-O-R to be filtered (this is what I meant when I said the name of the site is set to be filtered), that setting will catch any word that starts that way.

I'm not sure what software you were you using on your forums but each software has its own kind of filter and the filters will work differently.

*****ousness

you see above is support to be "v i g o r o u s ness", but the "v i g o r" part is caught by the filter.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jun 2009 at 2:26pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 2:30pm
maybe dst4me will get us back on topic guys cuz i think we just desicrated  a page on this thread for something that had nothing 2 do with its orignal intentions lol even though im mostly to blame Geek
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 3:38pm

Ed I think you misunderstood what I'm saying, first as you know I won my own forum so I'm well versed on how forums work.

second what I meant was that, say Alex went in to acp and set the word V-I-G-O-R to be filtered (this is what I meant when I said the name of the site is set to be filtered), that setting will catch any word that starts that way.

I'm not sure what software you were you using on your forums but each software has its own kind of filter and the filters will work differently.

*****ousness

you see above is support to be "v i g o r o u s ness", but the "v i g o r" part is caught by the filter.

Not on topic yet.  Your theory of filtering out competitive companies isn't logical.  If I can post the words Cyber Power, Alienware and Dell, then why wouldn't DS set the filter to catch them also if in fact the filter is set-up this way?  I, too, understand how the filters work but maybe Alex could post-up and clarify this so we could know what the intention of the filter is and then no one has to wonder about it and post about it anylonger.  Is it to filter competitive companies names or, filter offensive language, ergo catching like words that closely resemble those words.  Or, both? 

EDIT:  I actually posted the "N" word (and deleted it) and the site allowed that word to post.  So, the site doesn't seem to be catching offensive language, at least not this word.  Sites typically have pre-set language prohibitors that will catch words and the "N" word is usually one of them. 

Edited by EdH63 - 14 Jun 2009 at 3:44pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 3:41pm
as long as it doesnt  filter kool-aid its part of the fountain of youths the 13 fountains that is since u guys wanna remain off topic
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 3:43pm
acttually since were taling about alex i want to see what he thinks about my ideas since there 2 pages away ill repost them LAWL
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 3:45pm

Originally posted by sdelu

Originally posted by Alex

We could have more resources towards just participation in our forums by other DS employees but, we are at the same time trying to ensure we are as efficient with resources as much as possible due to the current economic situation that we are all under.

Obviously, shipping flawless systems in a timely manor is DSO's first priority. Answering tech support phone calls and emails probably ranks second. Just those two activities can make for a full day. However, getting back to your original question, the best and perhaps only way to knock off fence sitters in the forum is to provide access to knowledgeable employees. Maybe you'd have to establish some ground rules, like employees would only address configuration issues and not get into detailed diagnosis and problem solving in the forum.

I'm not sure if that's really the "best" way to get the fence sitters, as you put it. I would think that more people who are sitting on the fence aren't doing so because of lack of access to knowledgeable employees, but rather the availability of alternative options. There are other companies out there that look good on paper (dell, gateway, etc.) that have "gaming systems" for more "accessible" prices.

Show them that DS computers can outperform these big company PCs in any price range and that will get more sales. Of course, that would require finding a way to get the information out there.

But that's getting away from the point of the thread, as that won't get anyone to do anything "now." Honestly, what I said earlier is what would get me closest to getting a DS rig "now," and I really honestly can't think of anything else that would get me to that point.

What kind of answers did you expect, Alex? Just curious if you had an idea of what you would see.

I think what sdelu states about Dell, Gateway and other "box name" companies holds true.  DS needs to get their name out in a mass marketed format.  What is DS' advertising budget?  How much do you spend now getting your name in the places you need to be.  Dell and these other companies are not specializing in boutique gaming rigs, eventhough they are gearing up to look like they actually do, but their name is somewhat synonymous and they are a household name.

Digital Storm is not the household name... yet, but could be more in the face of the consumer depending on how much you're willing to spend in advertising.  Alex, how many partners, if any, own Digital Storm.  Is it an owner partnership, or is it wholly owned by one person?  If you were to pull up 1000 feet, where do you see DS in the market?

If you're going to take business away from the giants, you'll need to be seen as a slayer of giants.  What is DS doing to be seen as a giant slayer in the market that will turn the head of the general consumer, not the gaming consumer?  Maybe DS only wants to be so big in the market and level out at that point... idunno.  However, idle and comfortable in this specific industry can get you buried quickly.

id have to agree that DS has to get their name out more. when i was 1st looking for a cusomized gaming computer i typed it in and DSO came up as the 1st  link
it was a company that no1 knew to much about and wasnt as popular as other companies like falcon, *****, and alienware. and after seing some of the prices i decideid ill pass after palying around on 1 company to the next from higher priced like falcon and ***** gaming to lower priced like dells XPS i looked at the configs you had 2 choose form and what you could add to the system and no1 offered as much customization maybe except cyber power ( but they dont have as much consumer support) at such a decent price. so i started to sit in the forums and low and behold i kenw when i bought my system it was 150% DS. the only thing that really turned me off was the lack of payment options and i will give the other companies do have credit (some even with no intrest for 12 months) or installment plans options. im lesss on the credit card and more with the installment plans and even though DS is a lesser known company and you have to do reserch really to findem. but thats only gonning to add potential FUTURE customers. those of us now are probably 87% of us waiting for prices to go down or saving up money and i think bottom line that to get those of us to purchase now is gonna be some type of money issue and it doesnt help the economy's down the toilet either. so getting more known= future customers, money = todays customers. and that is my testimony laties and gentlemen thats all till next sunday

potetnial idea

ACtually i had a great idea a long time ago. it was intially to show ppl that their wouldnt be that noticeble diffrence between an AMD vs intel platform in gaming. now i think it's be a greeat way to advertise especially since their prebuilt systems out now. THe idea was to have kinda like an DS conveention where DS invited ppl in their area or maybe their state to come down and play with their systems a bit ( do a little gaming on them) has some higher end and lower end of each platform maybe 4 AMD's and 4 intels and let them play on all 8 systems and tell you guys which was best then later on have another convention where gamers were invited ald have intel systems avilable the 1st and 2nd day then change the systems so they looked exactly the same but were now AMD and not let the user know and see if they noticed iny diffrence in the computer they were using. like i said i was gonna suggest it as an intel vs AMD platform thing but now i think itd give the best of both worlds. give lots of ppl a view of DS you'd definatley make local and statewide news + which would increase sales and customers and at the sam time give valuable reserch information that would loved to be heard by many on this forum and probably many others especially if most said they couldnt tell the diffrence between AMD and intel systems of the same level. but thats just my thoughts what bout every1 eles.

P.S of course DS could make ppl pay to be part of the convention 5$ a person could go a long way if enough participated
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 3:51pm

I actually posted the "N" word (and deleted it) and the site allowed that word to post.  So, the site doesn't seem to be catching offensive language, at least not this word.  Sites typically have pre-set language prohibitors that will catch words and the "N" word is usually one of them. 

doesn't that point to what I said, for whatever reason they filtered v i g o r's name manually, you can filter what ever word you like, I use to use it to mess with my members from time to time.

why I don't know, you are right Alex has the answer.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jun 2009 at 3:53pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 3:58pm

v i g o r o u s l y

v i g o r o u s

v i g o r o u s ness

My point was they "are not" filtering competitive companies names since you can post other company's names here.  Why would just the name v i g o r be filtered and not the others?  My theory is that the filter is catching offensive language and language that is closely like that offensive language, not competitive companies names and words that closely resemble them.

Now, I want to know why the filter doesn't catch "hole" when I talk about the "hole" that Bill agreed to purchase from me and never bought.  I think "hole" can be construed as an offensive word, too.  ALEX!

Sleepy

Edited by EdH63 - 14 Jun 2009 at 3:59pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 4:00pm
hes online but alex answer me 1st me 1st nah im jk there are alot of potential questions being asked just wating to be answred by u
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 4:04pm
but ed the only close word to v i g o r is the N word which you already said is not being filtered.

at this point its quite obvious they are filtering that site the same with r e s e l e r's site.

what is not obvious and a mystery is why they are filtering it.

I never said they were filtering all competitive sites.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 4:08pm
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?  This is really the question here, isn't it?  
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 4:10pm
nah thats easy hed chuck a woodchucks liftime supply of wood
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 4:12pm
lol I guess at the end it does not matter much
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 4:13pm

lol I guess at the end it does not matter much

My point exactly, spanky. Ermm

Edited by EdH63 - 14 Jun 2009 at 4:14pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 5:23pm
Yep, anytime a topic reachs 6 pages, it's time for someone to start a new topic and restate the issue in question. BTW, sorry about the hijack, Alex.

Edited by Bill the Cat - 14 Jun 2009 at 5:23pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 5:33pm

Yep, anytime a topic reachs 6 pages, it's time for someone to start a new topic and restate the issue in question. BTW, sorry about the hijack, Alex.

Here's a Kleenex.  You have a little residual skidmark on your nose.  Smile
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 5:40pm

I agree.  In fact, I was going to put my post to Alex here...along with my configuration ticket #...but, began thinking it might just get lost in all the confusion...ha, ha...  So, started a new post--"Fence Sitter"...just to get Alex's attention and get opinions on configuation too...Disapprove

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 14 Jun 2009 at 5:41pm
GeneralShrooms View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GeneralShrooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 1:06am
Throw in a free DSO mouse pad and I'll buy right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>