FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Intel Integrated Graphics

Post Date: 2014-09-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fezziwig View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fezziwig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question about Intel Integrated Graphics
    Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 8:54pm
I recently purchased a Lance laptop with the 880M card on board.  I'm having some trouble with the integrated card in that many games are defaulting to it with issues even after trying to tinker with the settings in the nVidia control panel.  Games like Civilization V don't even recognize my external monitor settings and I've read that it is due to the Integrated Graphics.  Is there a way to disable the Intgrated Graphics in BIOS?  I couldn't find any setting?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 3:08am
No way that I know of to disable igpu. Optimus technology is the gpu switching program that decides what gpu to use.   If the game or program isn't demanding enough for your 880m then it uses the igpu.

Depending on your driver version, you can go into Nvidia Control Panel and under 3D select and setup each game. Also, click View, check Add Graphics card selection, or something similar, and when you right click the games desktop icon, the option is there to pick which gpu .

Putting your power settings on high might also help. If this doesn't help then run your games with laptop plugged into AC and not battery. Optimus is all about saving battery time.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 07 Sep 2014 at 3:31am
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 9:27am
What bprat said: definitely need to configure the games in the Nvidia control panel.  I have to do this with Firestorm (Second Life third-party viewer) every time I upgrade it.  Add it manually in the panel and then tell it to use the Nvidia GPU.  Other games will default to the 880M and so I don't need to configure.  But some will not.

Also, watch out for non-gaming applications using the Nividia GPU when they don't need to.  The SoundBlaster X-Fi software that comes with the DS laptops uses Nvidia by default.  I had to force it to use the Intel in the Nvidia control panel as it sure doesn't need the 880M to run its application window. Crazy  To have a system utility like that draining your battery is just ridiculous.
 Post Reply Post Reply