FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question About Extreme Cooling

Post Date: 2015-05-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
davealej View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote davealej Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question About Extreme Cooling
    Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:36am
I am building a workstation through digital storm thing is im on a tight budget and I am reducing the price of the workstation by choosing the cheapest components.

I would like to know how does it really affect my computer's life time choosing the extreme cooling option "Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan" which is cheaper over choosing the extreme cooling option "AIR: Stage 1: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes"
The workstation's main use will be 3D modeling and rendering, video editing and photo retouching.

Is this something you could regret later on having chosen a cheaper cooling option?

Thank you.

Edited by davealej - 25 May 2015 at 9:46am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:53am
Hi davealej....  Welcome to the forums.

I wouldn't advise the Standard factory heat sink, since its the  the bare minimum and is designed to Just keep it cool enough.  Although with the workstation cpu you might not overclock, its still minimum for me.   Plus, it dumps the heat right into the case. 

The Extreme Hydrolux is the other end of the scale and more for those that want to push the overclocking as high as they can or just want the look and feel of it.   It does allow for a quieter system if the graphics cards are under water, but not needed.  If you have the money and always wanted a water cooled rig, then go for it. 

A good way to go for performance and saving a few bucks, would be the Corsair H100i GTX or similar.  It's a sealed unit, meaning no maintenance and they cool great and are reliable.  And the heat drawn from the chip is exited from the case. 

If a cpu stays in the safe range, the longevity is still there.  Its when the temps keep climbing close to their limits that the chip might be effected. 

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

davealej View Drop Down

Quote davealej Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:08am
the options you suggest go a bit above my budget, I think I'll stay with the "AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler" which I assume will always be better than the Standard option.

I had a water cooled rig in the past and its maintenance didnt go to well, the Corsair option seems nice but again it surpasses my budget.

Thanks a lot of your help.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:25am
That'll work just fine and is better than the factory cooler.    StrongBig%20Smile

Lots of ways to go.
davealej View Drop Down

Quote davealej Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2015 at 12:50pm
Thanks a lot.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2015 at 12:23am
Get an AIO which requires no maintenance at all.

If you're doing the editing you say, cooling is something you should consider. You're going to keep that CPU pegged at 100% for long periods quite often. That is going to be a lot of heat inside that case a lot. And given the fact that I doubt you're buying a workstation that has tons of fans all over the case, the inside of that case will be hot... all the time.

Get something like a Corsair H60 or H80. Something small, with 0% maintenance ever. It'll help with keeping the cpu cool and the heat outside.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply