FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quacking system snag -- more help needed.

Post Date: 2014-03-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Socks223 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quacking system snag -- more help needed.
    Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:55am
I'm settling on this configuration: 938014.  I figure this will let me address the issues / needs in prior posts (smoky and dusty environment, needs for word processing, internet and PDF manipulation, light video watching, and some games like Hearts of Iron, Medieval Total War, or IL-2 Sturmovik -- no MMORPGs or FPS games, the most I'd go to in that department would be something like Company of Heroes).

So anyhow the problem is my printer.    I have an old HP4 laserjet which I love. It's very reliable and I use it for all my printing. According to the manual, it uses RS-232-C / RS-422-A serial interfaces or Bi-tronics parallel interface.  Is there any way to hook it up to this proposed build?  Just learned that these interfaces aren't even on modern motherboards.  I'd hate to add $300-$500 to the cost of a build to buy a new printer.  Solutions would be appreciated.

My other question was about "switching time" -- sometimes I like to have 4-5 programs open but switch them around for visibility on the monitor (like 1 turn on a game, then switch to work for awhile, then back).  My present system takes about 1-2 minutes to do that, if it doesn't lock up altogether.  Will I have that problem with this the proposed build?  If so, is there any way to prevent it?  BTW, I plan on using an ASUS MX299Q.

Thanks in advance for all your help.  You guys have been great and I really appreciate it.
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:37pm
OK, got my printer question answered, I think:  http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5U002/

Just need input on "switching times"  thanks!
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:41pm
You'll certainly be able to run those games just fine with that machine.

I can't help with the printer but I'd think there must be some kind of adapter or other solution to run the older printer.

Switching time - it's safe to say you'll be able to instantly switch between a ton of programs easily! It'll be a lifechanger really lol
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Socks223

OK, got my printer question answered, I think:  http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5U002/Just need input on "switching times"  thanks!

Do yourself a favor and don't pay over the odds direct to Belkin. At worst, buy that cable from somewhere else. At best, look at all the $5-10 one's that are probably just as good. I can't vouch for that, but there's plenty to choose from
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=USB+Parallel+Printer+Adapter&N=-1&isNodeId=1
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:56pm
Oh, absolutely!  I only meant there's a workaround.  You're 100% right about the pricing.  Thanks for the link, too.
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by ScottishBattleAx

Switching time - it's safe to say you'll be able to instantly switch between a ton of programs easily! It'll be a lifechanger really lol

A quick note - if you're running a game in full-screen mode, switching in may still take 4-5 seconds, depending on the game. (I have a nearly comparable system, and switching into Skyrim, can take 3-4 seconds, while switching into World of Tanks takes about 1 second). Switching out should be nearly instant, as should switching between applications that don't take up the whole screen.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 1:32pm
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 6:53pm
Thanks, Counsel.  
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:28pm
Checkout MonoPrice for a USB to Serial adapter...

You might also have driver issues getting that old of printer to work on a modern OS properly...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Counsel

Originally posted by ScottishBattleAx

A quick note - if you're running a game in full-screen mode, switching in may still take 4-5 seconds, depending on the game. (I have a nearly comparable system, and switching into Skyrim, can take 3-4 seconds, while switching into World of Tanks takes about 1 second). Switching out should be nearly instant, as should switching between applications that don't take up the whole screen.

If I may derail this thread a moment... Counsel, imagine switching into World of Tanks at minimum 45 seconds... average 1 minute... and more times than I'd like, complete CTD.

This is my world at present.  Cry 

/derail
 Post Reply Post Reply