FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PWM on Rampage 3 Extreme

Post Date: 2015-04-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HandsomeP View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HandsomeP Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PWM on Rampage 3 Extreme
    Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 11:14pm
I was considering upgrading my Swiftech MCP355 pumps to MCP35X or MCP50X. My motherboard is a Rampage 3 Extreme. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with using PWM on this motherboard?

It was suggested to me to connect the PWM lead to the cpu_fan header. So there's a slot somewhere for that one wire to go into?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could comment on their experience configuring the pump via the BIOS and/or via a Windows application such as SpeedFan?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 8:24am
Hi HandsomeP,

Have you considered using the Swiftech 8-way splitter box for the job.  You can use it to control the fans and pump.  You can get RPM from the pump that way.  I am not familiar with your motherboard but you probably can do it from there.  Just another idea.

Frank

Here is a diagram from Swiftech in case you haven't seen it.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 9:28am
I have no esperience with it, but I believe that mobo does allow PWM control with the cpu_fan header and just that one.   The header is located just above the cpu, near the edge of the board.  The wire is actually a 4 pin connector from the pump to the 4 pin header on the mobo.   If it works or not with that pump I can't say for sure. 

The MCP50X appears to use a SATA connector to a similar connector in the harness from the power supply for juice and then the 4 pin control to regulate the rpm. 

Check your mobo manual, but I believe you can go into Bios and Enable CPU Q fan control, set to Standard and set up a fan profile for auto adjust to cpu temps. 

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Apr 2015 at 9:47am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:59pm
I don't know about that pump nor do I have a moment to look it up, but assuming it does use a fan handed for power (which is irregular), then it should have a manual adjust for rpm on the actual pump. The pwm will just need to be set to full speed in the bios,

Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
HandsomeP View Drop Down

Quote HandsomeP Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The header is located just above the cpu, near the edge of the board.  The wire is actually a 4 pin connector from the pump to the 4 pin header on the mobo.

Found it, thanks. OK, so a PWM pump such as the MCP35X or MCP50X will have a 4-pin connecter that fits into the cpu_fan header on the motherboard is that correct?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:58am
Yep, they both have the 4 pin connector to hook to the mobo's CPU_fan header for PWM control, according to their listing at Frozencpu.com.    The mobo connector itself might only have two wires , in the four pin connector, for the RPM sense and PWM control, the other molex connector furnishing the 12volt and ground.  

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Apr 2015 at 11:10am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 11:18am
Here's a pic to help....     The smaller connector to the mobo and the larger to the psu.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/uploads/6454/swiftech-mcp35x2-2-852-p.jpg

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Apr 2015 at 11:18am
HandsomeP View Drop Down

Quote HandsomeP Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 11:26am
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the advantage of connecting via SATA to the PSU on the newer pumps vs molex (I've heard people say it was better but don't recall seeing the reason)?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 11:34am
Here's one place it was mentioned...

http://www.techpowerup.com/188153/swiftech-launches-a-sata-powered-8-way-pwm-splitter.html

I don't know the reasoning , but to me the Molex is sturdier but the Sata is an easier fit.  Sometimes the Molex needs to be wiggled to line up the pins . 

But, my reasoning might not jell with theirs.  Big%20Smile
HandsomeP View Drop Down

Quote HandsomeP Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 6:26pm
If I used a PWM splitter off the CPU fan header for the PWM pumps in my dual loop, the pump in the CPU loop and the pump in the GPU loop will both have to run at the same speed and that speed will have to be based off CPU temp, is that correct?

With my non-PWM MCP355 pump (running at 100%), my CPU temp is typically between 40 and 50 degrees. If I use a PWM pump, I could configure the pump to run at a higher speed (e.g. 60%) when the CPU is over 40 degrees (non-idle) and at a lower speed (e.g. 30% - 40%) when the CPU temp is under 40 degrees (computer is idle). Is there is a good source for making this kind of determination for PWM settings?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:11am
I missed this post yesterday.    My understanding is that all 4pin fans/pumps connected to the Swiftech splitter will be adjusted as one, with the cpu_fan header determining the rpm.    Not all fans/pumps are created equal so there might be a compatability concern.

3 pin fans would stay at full rpm.

Experimenting with the fan curve is the best way to determine your specific needs.   Not sure I answered that question.

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 01 May 2015 at 3:31am
HandsomeP View Drop Down

Quote HandsomeP Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 12:37pm
I was told in another forum that my GeForce GTX 570 has a GPU Fan Header, so I actually won't need to use a PWM splitter, I'll connect the CPU pump to the CPU Fan Header and the GPU pump to the GPU Fan Header. I was told I'd need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12-718-002

to connect the GPU pump to the GPU fan header. So PWM pumps (such as the MCP35X or MCP50X) don't already come with a wire that plugs directly into the fan header?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 1:12pm
The pic I posted above shows the smaller connector that goes to the motherboard fan header and the larger one for power from a psu molex.

I couldn't say about a fan header on the gtx 570.   I have a 570 but have never looked into it.

HandsomeP View Drop Down

Quote HandsomeP Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 2:19pm
Thank you. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply