FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Premium vs Stock Thermal compound

Post Date: 2014-06-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KnightOfNi View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KnightOfNi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Premium vs Stock Thermal compound
    Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 1:46pm
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm on the verge of buying a DS laptop and I had a quick question:

I generally don't do anything too intensive on my laptop, but once a week or so I have it going at 100% in places that aren't exactly well ventilated (for instance, playing a very graphics-intensive game while sitting on a carpet). For those of you who have experience with one or both, will my use of the "premium thermal compound" (as opposed to the stock) make a significant difference in those situations?

Thanks!

Edited by KnightOfNi - 24 Jun 2014 at 1:54pm
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 6:49pm
I don't know what the difference between the two is, but I can tell you that on my Krypton (see signature for specs) with premium compound, I have zero complaints about heat.  This baby runs cool.

Whether you would have a different experience with a stock compound, it's difficult to say.  My guess is there might be a few degrees difference at most.

Others may have more objective data.
KnightOfNi View Drop Down

Quote KnightOfNi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 7:25am
OK, thanks. I think I'll go for the premium just to be safe.
jd63636 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote jd63636 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 7:49am
I went with the stock compound which is the grey stuff Alienware and everyone else uses.

CPU temps were higher than I liked but GPU temps were good. I ended up repasting both with Prolimatech PRO-PK3 which is my choice of thermal compounds and also sealed the CPU fan to the heatsink with black aluminum tape.

Now CPU Temps are now primo and my GPU has not exceeded 70c after an hour of gaming.

I may redo the GPU as I think my pea sized drop of paste in the center of the GPU was a bit to big. I have no refrence on how the GTX 870M runs only that the GTX 680M in my Alienware never toped 65c.

I would say go for the premium compound.

Edited by jd63636 - 25 Jun 2014 at 7:52am
Krypton
i7 4810MQ
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
500GB Samsung 840 EVO
500GB Samsung 840 EVO
GTX 870M
Win 7 Home Premium

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough". Mario Andretti
 Post Reply Post Reply