Post Date: 2009-12-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prator View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Prator's Hailstorm Review
    Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 11:04pm
Future and Current Digital Storm Owner's allow me to steal a few minutes of your time. What follows is not your ordinary computer, but a computer that transcends it's brethren. It is not your normal computer, no, rather it is better. Ladies and Gentlemen boys and girls I present to you my review of my Digital Storm Customized System. Enjoy!

On October 20th @ 1800CST I completed my order with James here is what I got:

First thing I noticed was that my name was spelled wrong, but I promptly submitted an e-mail via the Digital Storm website and relayed my problem. Within no time at all (about 24 hours) I got an e-mail notifying me of an account update and my named was spelled right this time, Feliciano. I was very impressed by the prompt and hassle free service.

I immediately posted these specs on the boards to get the opinions of the resident experts and quickly found that this is what I should have done FIRST! The configuration you see above was my initial configuration, but not the end result as I had to correct a few things. My initial decision on my power supply was a bad one. When I called I had it set in my mind that I wanted the Corsair listed above, but James talked me out of it (opting for better cabling, higher wattage, and whisper quite design of the Enermax). After hearing what resident experts had to say and what one of the engineer's had to say my mind was pretty well set. All of a sudden I felt as if I made a terrible choice that was irreversible. I had read about the Enermax and had heard about it's incompatibility problems with the classified boards and promptly called and had the intent of changing the PSU. James assured me there wasn't any problem with this PSU, but after further discussion on the forums I called DS again and had James change the PSU back to my original choice, the Corsair 1000W.

All of this aside the wait began. Here is the time line I experienced:

October 20th 2009 @ 1903
·    Stage 1 Payment Processed. Build Sheet produced

October 23rd 2009 @1711
·    Stage 3 - Order placed in specialized test bench. OS, Drivers, and Software installed

November 2nd 2009 @1922
·    Stage 4 - Phase 1 Stress Testing Completed. Order begins to be assembled by a dedicated engineer

November 10th 2009 @1944
·    Stage 5 - Phase 2 Stress Testing Completed. Final batch of test to ensure stability commences

November 17th 2009 @1201
·    Stage 6 - System has moved into Quality Assurance ensuring a perfect system

Nov 17th 2009 @1652
·    QA passed.

Testing Details By: Chris
-------------------------------------------

Overclocked Processor Settings

Processor Speed GHz: 3.8
CPU Multiplier: 20
Voltage CPU VCore: 1.38125
VDroop Control: Yes
i7 - BCLK MHz: 181
i7 - Voltage QPI\DRAM: auto
i7 - Voltage QPI\PLL: auto
i7 - Voltage CPU VTT: 200
i7 - Voltage IOH Vcore: auto
i7 - Voltage ICH Vcore: auto
i7 - Voltage IOH/ICH I/O: auto
i7 - PWM Frequency: auto
780i/790i - Memory Clock Mode:
780i/790i - CPU FSB MHz:
780i/790i - Voltage FSB:
780i/790i - Voltage SPP:
780i/790i - Voltage MCP:

Motherboard BIOS: S61D
Video Card Driver: 191.07
Chipset Driver: CD
Sound Card Driver: CD

Nov 17th 2009 @1823
  • Computer left the DS facility and is on route
Nov 21st 2009 @1121
  • Computer delivered and signed for
Total Time Elapsed
     Build -  4 Weeks exactly
     Date of Order till Delivery - 4 Weeks 4 Days

FedEx didn't have it properly orientated in the truck or when he set it down despite what the side says Sleepy

The unpacking begin.

Original Disc, Custom Image Disc, Memtest disc, and mobo disc

Just look at this packing job isn't this crazy awesome, A+ guys!

This case just blows my mind. Even as I type this I can't believe how awesome this case is.

Amazing wiring job

Out of the Box these were my numbers

Currently Running Like this

My Desktop just for fun

All in all I couldn't be more happy. Turned this puppy on and immediately started slamming it with everything I had and it didn't flinch one bit. There was one minor gripe, but it was a simple enough fix. I don't Fold so it took me a while to track down my heat, choppiness, and unexplained CPU cycles. Once I isolated the Folding as what was bringing my computer to a crippling halt I immediately disabled it.

Another thing you'll notice is I did add in my own Soundblaster X-Fi Titatnium Fatl1ty Pro Series. I would have ordered it from DS, but I already owned it. I highly recommend this card to anyone looking for a dedicated sound solution.

One other thing for others to consider is that practically no USB wireless network adapters work with Windows 7 64 Bit, most claim that they assumed 32 bit would be popular in the fine print so they don't currently support 64 bit even if it says windows 7 compatible. I went through every brand before finding my solution on a Linksys forums about an unrelated topic. The solution a wireless Ethernet bridge which bypasses the OS 64 Bit driver problem.

In the end my DS experience was awesome and I  highly recommend this system to any and all prospective buyers, don't even mess around with the other boutiques DS is all you'll need forever!

Edited by Prator - 08 Dec 2009 at 11:27pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 10:54am
congrats very nice
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 11:56pm
nice ;)
you should move the cathodes to either side of the window
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 10:49pm
I might just do that. Just an update since I received my system I have went through about 3/4 of an inch worth of fluid in my reservoir. I was under the impression I wouldn't have to replace it very often, but I'm guessing it is my OC that is evaporating all the fluidClap

I am going to have to find out what fluid they used and possibly get an extra bottle. I'm assuming it's a relatively easy process to refill? 

Edited by Prator - 08 Dec 2009 at 10:51pm
msc728 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote msc728 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 11:03pm
nice rig!!! Enjoy!!! Ermm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 11:40pm
no evaporation.  it is air working out of the system. once it is bled out it will not drop anymore, unless you have a leak.Embarrassed
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 12:53pm
The Space Needle from EMP? I like that Background....

As for fluid, 3/4 of an inch from top is fine. Thats how I run my system too.

And yes... when I move (the 19th of this month) I will FINALLY post pics of my beast.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 4:35pm
As Justin said, the fluid working its way through the system will lower the level then stabilize barring any leaks. That Corsair is huge monster and your system looks awesome.
Costone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Costone Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 9:52pm

Sweet rig...! Love the stealthy look of your Corsair and that big topside rad.

*Salivating*
Velox X | ASUS Prime X670-P | AMD Ryzen 9 7950X | 64GB DDR5 5200 | 2TB M.2 Samsung 980 Pro | RTX 4070 Ti | 850W PSU

Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:53am
Again, very nice machine. Enjoy Ermm
Chris91 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Chris91 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:55am
sweet rig, gotta love the hailstorm case..it's my personal favourite, hope you have a lot of fun with that machine Cool
tanamerra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tanamerra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 6:57pm
Congrats, My Hailstorm system is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Looks good and thanks for the pics. They helped me decide on this case.
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 1:42pm
"One other thing for others to consider is that practically no USB wireless network adapters work with Windows 7 64 Bit, most claim that they assumed 32 bit would be popular in the fine print so they don't currently support 64 bit even if it says windows 7 compatible. I went through every brand before finding my solution on a Linksys forums about an unrelated topic. The solution a wireless Ethernet bridge which bypasses the OS 64 Bit driver problem."

Actually, if you go to the Linksys web site now, you can find several wireless products that support Win 7. I bought a little $50 USB dongle from Staples that did not work out of the box. Used another computer to download the 64-bit Win 7 driver for it, installed it manually and everything was good.
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 7:30pm
I agree Bill
tanamerra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tanamerra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 4:55pm
Prator,
How do you like your rig so far? Has the performance met all your expectations?
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 7:11pm
Sweet System!!!!!!!!

Ermm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 7:44pm
To answer the questions I love my system. I love it so much I've been using it every day and I still can't believe how fast it is. The beast can handle anything I throw at it and not even pause for a second. I enjoyed it of course up until it practically died on me on Dec 23rd @ 2:45CST

When I tried to resume the system from hibernation mode it hung for about 35 minutes before I called it and did a hard boot. Upon restarting the system will hang at the windows 7 logo for about 10 minutes which is definitely not typical. After getting into windows the Intel array software tells me that one of the WD 150GB velociraptor drives is failing in my OS Raid 0 (really wierd as those drives have crazy MTBF and unprecedented reliability). I have since booted 3 or 4 times into windows with no problems, but I am disinclined to boot anymore as every boot could be my last. I contacted DS on Dec 23rd and tried to get Tech Support. I left my name and number with a brief description of the problem and I have yet to hear anything back. Given the long weekend most businesses observe I can understand the delay.

I'm unsure how DS handles the returns, but since the drive isn't completely dead I'm hoping to clone it before I have to ship it back. Thus preventing any unnecessary data loss. Granted all my games and applications are on my data drives I still have picture and music that I haven't had time to back up since I've only had the system under a month. I'm thinking about buying another 150Gb drive to clone it with and have DS send me another one. Then I'll have another drive that I can make a hot swap drive in case of future failures(hopefully not anytime soon). I'm still unsure as I haven't talked to Tech support, but I'll decide after I talk to them.

I will let everyone know how things are going once I am back to operational status. My review of the system is still positive I just don't think it could of happened at a more inconvenient time. I guess all i can do now is wait.
tanamerra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tanamerra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 10:02am
Prator,
Please post results. So far my Hailstorm is working OK except i have no sound. Tried all the audio ports in the back and headphone port on the front. No error codes indicated at device manager. Waiting for tech support response. Pretty well satisfied so far but now let's see how the tech support responds.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 10:26am
Not an issue at all. We'll take care of it.

We've been very busy this holiday season, however, if you do leave a voicemail, we always get back to all of our customers by the end of the day. Even on the busiest of days and if it means to simply apologize for the delay and that we will be having a senior technician contact you the first thing next morning.

Anyways, we've been implementing some new concepts to insure we are able to help every customer that contacts us by hiring phone operators to schedule in one-on-one support times and provide message services instead of voicemail.

Edited by Alex - 28 Dec 2009 at 12:03pm
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 6:47pm
Awesome thanks Alex I expected that you've been busy so I haven't been to persistent about it as I've been busy myself. I figured my timing was just bad with Christmas and all. I'll follow up tommorow during business hours. Also I didn't nescessarily leave a voicemail don't know if that's why I didnt get a callback .I left a message with a rep and he took all my standard info and said I'd get a call back. Either way no biggie I'll follow up tommorow.    Ohh and btw DS still rocks to any skeptics this is only a minor setback :-)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 11:30pm

Awesome, sounds like a plan!

Statman11 View Drop Down

Quote Statman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2010 at 5:56pm
Love the blue lights, the MTN DEW Code Red can in the one pic, and how's Windows 7 treating you? I read you had a hardware issue, but as far as an operating system how does it stand?    I really enjoy my Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit OS. It runs stellar on my computer, very quick and efficient!
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 10:18pm
First let me say I called DS about 2 weeks ago at about 4PM and I got a phone call back about 7 PM same day. A DS rep logged into my comp and verified that the bad reading that the intel matrix array was giving was a false positive. More than likely the drive had bad data on it from a previous hibernate state. All my test came back fine and he unflagged the error. Took about 30 minutes total, but I did ask a few questions I had been meaning to ask for a while and he was happy to oblige. So A+ on all fronts DS as everyone keeps saying you guys rock!

@Statman11
I love Windows 7. I found my intitial problems with the USB wireless internet drives frustrating and a test of my patience, but that has since been resolved. I use Windows 7 (64 Bit) and I don't even think twice about it being a new OS. Not one single complaint from me.
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 10:26pm
Ohh and another thing I noticed that I haven't had a chance to comment on is I took the filters out of the Corsair Case and examined them for dust and guess what I found...nothing! Yah I honestly expected something being as it draws all its air from the bottom of the case, but wow was I surprised. Results may vary for others, but my other case sucked in a ton of dust in a similar position.

Also, if no one has seen the filters on this thing it's got two at the bottom. 1 small one the size of fan duct at the bottom (about 120mm) and one crazy long one that runs from the back of the case all the way to the other filter at the front. I'd say it's about 2 feet long at least which totally blew my mind.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 12:36am
Interesting feedback!
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:41pm
Pretty close to a dust free room? If not then wow, thats pretty good.
 Post Reply Post Reply