FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

possible hardware problem?

Post Date: 2014-06-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
j2osales View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: possible hardware problem?
    Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 7:32pm
So everytime I turn on my computer the screen remains black. Ive had this problem before but last time I was able to hear windows boot. Somehow it jist fixed itself. Theres no boot sound this time and ive tried unplugging and plugging back the cords but nothings working. Anyone have any ideas or test I could run to figure out whats wrong?

Here are my specs

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F180GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz <b></b>
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror Special Edition (Gaming Keyboard)
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks

Monitor- Samsung syncmaster sa550
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 5:40am
Are you getting any fans or lights to turn on?   If everything appears to turn on but no display, I would try another monitor or tv and/or try a new monitor cable.

If nothing turns on, try plugging the power cord directly into a wall outlet, bypassing a surge/UPS adapter.   With it unplugged, pulse the power on button repeatly in case its sticking.  Then try again. 

j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:50am
Fans and lights turn on. Ill try another monitor and plugging direct into the wall.

Are there any indications at which I should worry its the graphics card or motherboard or something like that?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 7:03am
Ideal would be if you had an older video card you could try in place of your 670.    If it works then your 670 is the culprit.

Is the fan on the 670 spinning?

Try re-seating your 670. If still an issue, install the 670 into the next Pciex16 slot and try it. 

Double check all the connectors to the mobo, like the 24 pin on the right and the 6/8 pin on the top. and the plugs to the 670. 

A call to DS might be the best bet.  Over the phone with them is always the best if possible.

Good Luck. Big%20Smile 

If you don't think its trying to load Windows, then try unplugging your SSD and see if it boots to Bios.  If so then the SSD drive might be bad. 

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Jun 2014 at 7:05am
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:16pm
Card fan is spinning. Have yet to try reseating.

Im worried it may be both the monitor and the pc. Conmected the monitor to both my ps4 and a friends ps3. Didnt work. Boughta new monitor assuming that was the issue. This monitor works on my ps4 but not the computer.

Ill probably try calling ds tomorrow
is their call center a 9-5 thing? Tried calling but it didn't go through. Not sure if its cause I called late or didn't dial the right number cause im calling from Canada.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 3:29am
Yep, DS is open 9-5 Pacific time.   You tried a new cable from monitor to pc?   Just checking.
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:32am
Lol damnit. Gotta rush home from work. 3 hour diff right?

I think I narrowed it down to the card or the mobo. I pulled out the ssd drive amd turned it on. New monitor detects no signal. Chances are its the card tho right? O.o but in any case if I were to get a new card or mobo can I get any card or mobo thats the same model or newer?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:43am
My guess is the card, like you said.     If DS sends a replacement card or mobo, they'll try to send you a comparable part, a lot depending on what they have.  They won't upgrade it unless you pay extra.  Example....my gtx 560 died this year from 2011, and they had none so sent me a gtx 570.  It is a better card by about 20% but was still a 2011 era card.  

You can also email support by setting up a support ticket under Support on top, explain the issue and what you've done and they'll get back to you.   That's what I did and they were great.   

Good Luck and let us know.  Big%20Smile
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:51am
Did you have to send your dead one first before they ship the new one?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:59am
I didn't, but you can handle it two ways.      Send them the part, they verify its bad and then they send out a replacement, or, they will put a credit card hold on the cost of the part and send it right away.  After you get the part, install it, and send the old part back and the hold on $$ is gone.   

I had them credit card hold, sent me the card right away and then returned the old.  Much faster than the other option.     You will pay for shipping both ways but for the card it was about $30 total or so to the east coast.  Not sure about your shipping cost. 
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 7:14am
Alright that sounds good. The sooner the better. Thanks for the help. Ill email support once I get to work
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:48pm
Alright so I had trouble calling DS. Added the 1 to the number since Im calling from canada. Still didnt go through but anyway I got the monitor to work! Reseating the card worked. But does that mean it's a mobo issue? And if so do I need to consider getting a new one sometime if the future? And what happens to the slot if I need it?

Also Although I got the monitor to work..my sound isn't working anymore =(. Audio through HDMI is fine, analog back and front panel don't.

Edited by j2osales - 12 Jun 2014 at 7:45pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 2:51am
Reseating the card commonly does fix issues like you had.   I wouldn't think it's the mobo, just the card needing a better seat into the mobo.

For the audio, right click the audio/speaker icon on bottom right of task bar and check what Playback Device is seen.   Sounds, no pun intended, like the Realtech device/drivers got scrambled.   You might have to unplug your speakers, reboot and then plug that back in, checking Playback for the right device and green checks and volume control.

Good luck.
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 6:16am
So I tried unplugging and replugging the speakers, reboots, rolling back drivers, installing newest ones, even a system restore. Theres still no sound out of the speakers or even headphones plugged in the front jack. Im worried I mightve nicked something when reseating that mightve shorted the sound. The speakers did make some feedback noise when I was reseating.

Btw thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 7:46am
My pleasure.  Big%20Smile

If its only the front speaker/headphone jack not working then you are probably right, you knocked loose a cable to the mobo.  There is a cable that goes from the front panel to the mobo to feed it audio. 

Go to your mobo manual and usually chapter 2 will have a motherboard layout picture.   For the X79 Sabertooth, I believe on the lower left of you mobo is the Front Panel Audio connector.   They are small wires easily pumped and loosened.   You might get lucky.  Strong

j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 7:55am
Opps sorry. All speakers don't work. I'm basically getting no sound through speakers or plugging in headphones. Speakers themselves work since I tried connecting them to an mp3 player.

Could it really be a loose cable? Im pretty sure I checked for loose cables. Is there any possiblity touching part of the mobo when I was reseating may have short circuited the integrated audio somehow?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 8:17am
So, the rear and front don't work?       Yeah, anytime you open the rig and touch things there's the chance of blowing something.    I tend to believe that your Realtek control panel needs a look see.  

Right click the speaker icon in Taskbar, go to Playback Device and see if your speakers are shown and a green check is there.  Right click the speakers if they;re shown and  hit Properties.   See if the port is highlighted green.  Also, go to Level tab and make sure the sound isn't muted or turned way down.   You might have to play around in there a bit.  

You can also right click the empty space in Playback window and check Show disabled devices.  That might lead you somewhere.

You can go into Device manager, dbl click sound, right click your realtek driver and uninstall.  Reboot, hard boot not soft Restart, and see if Windows reinstalls a working driver.  This can wok great or cause headaches, but you have nothing to lose.  Cry

After all this, you got me.  Big%20Smile     

j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 8:24am
Alright Ill have to check this when I get home on Sunday. I know I check the playback device and I think I did see a green check mark. One of the other weird things was when fiddling with the unplugging and replugging the speakers wires was in the realtek control panel it seemed to be confused on which speakers were being plugged in (ie Id plug in front speaker but the right one would light up on the control panel)

But yeah Ill try this on Sunday and let you know. Thanks again man!
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 12:25pm
So I did a few things when I got home today. What was odd though, ever since I got my monitor to work I'd get this "there was a problem starting C:/user/administrator blah blah backgroundcontainer.dll access is denied" error. Looking it up it seems to be malware. DL'ed malwarebytes, removed it and off and on audio icons would flicker on and off.

I.e the "you just plugged/unplugged a device from the audio jack would alternate popping up non-stop. When I unplugged all the speaker jacks and restarted the computer it stopped then it started happening in the sound devices window. That stopped after a restart. I opened up the computer to check and make sure the audio connections weren't lose and then the "you just plugged/unplugged" popup thing happened again.

Also the speakers seems to crackle a bit (or pop feedback noise?) when booting up. So at this point I still can't tell if its a mobo issue, driver issue, or loose connection. I feel like its most likely a mobo issue though =(
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 1:39pm
It sure sounds like a bad/loose connection, that's why you keep getting plug/unplugged, etc. With the rig still on and left cover off, poke and gently move the wires and plugs to the mobo, especially the audio ones. Just gently wiggle and be cautious.    You might find a loose plug that just doesn't seat securely. If you start getting the unplugged alert tone then you found it.   I have had to cable tie a loose connection to a nearby cable to prevent it from moving.

Wish I had more but from here it's tough.    Good luck.
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:11pm
Ok. So I finally called and got in contact with DS and came to the conclusion that the integrated audio is fried/dead. I have a choice between a new mobo or a separate sound card. I'm opting for the separate sound card for now.

I do have one concern that I didnt get to address since I didnt think of it until now. But anyways I asked how my front audio jack would work if I got a sound card and he said that the "HD audio wire" (which I was told to unplug when trying to fix my sound) would connect to the new sound card. Are all sound cards supposed to have a jack/slot for this or just certain ones? Because when I looked at some pics of sounds cards I didnt seem to notice any slots for it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:16am
Hi j2osales.....   A lot of sounds cards, like the Sound Blaster Z and the Auzen X-F do have a HD Audio 10 - 1 pin on the circuit board, usually along the back edge, that accepts the wires from the front audio of pc cases.    The wires from front panel might be a 10 pin plug or 5x2 pin plugs. 

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Jun 2014 at 8:16am
j2osales View Drop Down

Quote j2osales Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:53am
Is it called something else? Cause the sound cards Im looking at don't seem to mention anything about an HD sound slot/plug.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&item_id=028753

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&item_id=047993

And this is the one you were referring to right?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&item_id=055058

I'm assuming it's called something else cause I dont see anything about HD audio there either :/
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 9:08am
Its called the front panel header and the first link you posted mentions it under I/O, most of the way down.   Also, in the configurator, under the Auzen sound card, the More Info section mentions the Intel HD 10-1 plug.  

Both cards have the 10 pin header on the circuit board, but I have never used them so send DS an email to confirm it will actually work with no comparability problems. 
 Post Reply Post Reply