FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

performance questions

Post Date: 2012-03-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tju76 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: performance questions
    Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:11pm
Do i really need to have a 6 core processor? i am looking at a gaming build that will last me some time

Also what does everyone think about liquid cooled graphics card especially in sli
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 4:10am
Hi tju76......Gaming only needs 4 core cpu's, like the i7-2600k.   6 core is for apps like video rendering, 3D modeling, etc.

Liquid cooling is more a luxury than neccesity.  A gaming rig with a good air cooled case like the HafX that we always mention will have no problem keeping things safe and cool.  

Hope that helps.

kenage View Drop Down

Quote kenage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 4:26am
Like bprat says, unless you're doing heavy video editing, 3D rendering, heavy Photoshop use, or something similar that really takes advantage of multi-threaded cpus, gaming really only needs four cores.

Even the i5 2500K is more than suitable for a strictly-gaming machine, The 2500K performs in most games at about 90-95% of the 2600K, and saves you over $100 if you're on a budget.

That said, the 2600K is the better chip (just don't go for the 2700K, that is a waste of money for no performance gain), so if you're not hitting the upper apex of your budget, then it's really your choice.

Liquid cooling for the GPUs is nice, but normally one would look at the CPU for that first, especially ones like the Sandy Bridge-E chips that generate a ton of heat. The HAF X case, like bpratt says, is one of the very best air-cooled cases, and it comes with a side-mounted fan and shroud specifically for air-cooled graphics cards. Reviews paint this fan as unnecessary and kinda in the way, unless you have (bum bum bummm) dual SLI/Crossfire cards in your case. Then it can have an effect of 10°C or more on their cooling.

Ultimately, personal choice and budget will be your determining factor Smile
— Kenage
MCTS, MCP, Security+, Network+
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 5:06pm
Thank you for your help guys 
 Post Reply Post Reply