FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking, Whats the Deal?

Post Date: 2013-12-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
itsayoyoball View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote itsayoyoball Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Overclocking, Whats the Deal?
    Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 8:04pm
I have a DS Laptop that is going on two years old now and so with new games I would like to know what the deal is with overclocking and if it is worth it and such

With the new games I play such as BF4 and others, would it be good to overclock my CPU?? I have tried Overclocking my GPU with MSI Afterburner but I'm not sure if I did it correctly because I dodnt notice any change. Ive heard that you can't OC laptop CPU's which may be true in which case I would like to know if there is a better way to OC my GPU that will not add toooo much heat since a laptop is a laptop and WILL get hot

I will post my specs below and would just like to know if anything is possible. I'm looking into an SSD which may help my performance a BIT, but seriously like by 1 fps maybe I think.

Any other things I can do to boost performance including applictions or anything would be much appreciated, by all means my laptop is still kicking a$$ but who doesn't like to give it that little shove now and again.

CPU - i7-2760 QM @2.5GHz
GPU - AMD Radeon 6990M
HD - 750GB @7200 RPM
RAM - 12GB @IDK what speed but its pretty good

THANK YOU!
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 8:19pm
All depends on the motherboard/bios and the cpu.  Most cpu's will allow for a slight bump in speed, but you won't get no huge increase like you can with desktop cpu's that are pushing 4.5ghz+

For you, I would say it's not really worth it.  You're in a laptop, so heat is an issue, but the amount of the OC you will be able to get, you will barely notice anything if anything at all.  We're talking very few frame increases per second.
 Post Reply Post Reply