Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CrazyGamer View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CrazyGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Overclocking fail
    Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 2:56pm
Hi, guys. I need help

My comp was shut down itself and when it turned back on, the screen appeared message "CPU overclock fail ....."

what should i do now??

I am using Rampage IV extreme, it enable you to select different overclocking profiles. Is it mean you have to re install OS and everything??

Thank for any solutions.

Asus Rampage IV extreme
Intel core I7 3960x {overclocked to 4.5}+ corsair H100 liquid cooling
16GB DDR3 2133 Ram
GTX 690 EVGA
Corsair 1200AX
2x 120GB Corsair Force GT series
1x WD 1TB
V-Sonic 23 inch
tju76 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:15pm
Did you try to oc it yourself? Because if you didn't that seems very strange maybe lower your oc or make sure all ram is seated etc
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:18pm
You shouldn't have to reload OS.     Go into BIOS, usually Del key when booting, and load default settings.   Check your motherboard manual.    That should disable oc.   If problem is fixed, call DS to adjust your oc.     The 2133mhz memory sometimes cause overclocking instability.    You can also reseat the memory sticks which also can cause overclocking issues.   Best bet is to contact DS support. These guys will narrow it down real quick.

Quote CrazyGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by bprat22

You shouldn't have to reload OS.     Go into BIOS, usually Del key when booting, and load default settings.   Check your motherboard manual.    That should disable oc.   If problem is fixed, call DS to adjust your oc.     The 2133mhz memory sometimes cause overclocking instability.    You can also reseat the memory sticks which also can cause overclocking issues.   Best bet is to contact DS support. These guys will narrow it down real quick.

Thank for the infor. I did load default profile setting from BIOS, its disable OC and CPU run at 3.3ghz as normal but its appear message ( missing Operating system ) when computer start up :(

yes, I got 2133mhz memory but it just show 1833 while booting up and tried reseat mem stick but still the same problem happen
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 5:11pm
Try going back into Bios and check boot order. You want the Hdd or Ssd with OS on it listed as primary boot disc, listed first.   The memory speed is also adjusted in Bios. The default speed is showing.     Good luck.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 6:28pm
Not meaning to necro this thread but this seems like a very common pattern.

User has OC issues.
User resets BIOS.
User sees No OS (due to boot order or raid config)
User installs windows on one drive
User installs drivers but not the right ones
User has issues using system with stability
User calls Digital Storm

Cry  Call or Forum before you guys tinker, we love to help!
criTalon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote criTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 11:25am
You mentioned that it loaded as 1833mhz. Go into bios and load the xmp profile that shows 2133mhz.
If that won't load the 2133mhz even in default without OC, then you might (most likely) have a ram stick that is defective.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 2:10pm
What's the current situation or issue you're having right now?

Quote CrazyGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by criTalon

You mentioned that it loaded as 1833mhz. Go into bios and load the xmp profile that shows 2133mhz.
If that won't load the 2133mhz even in default without OC, then you might (most likely) have a ram stick that is defective.

thanks, i tried load XMP and its show 2133mhz, luckily no problem with the Ram stick.

Hi alex, It shut down automatically. And appear meassage "Overlocking Fail." May i undo the OC?

thank
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 8:47am
Go into bios and tell me what your vcore is at or run a stress test in windows with cpuz running to see what it is at. Your vcore could be to low will windows boot? I was really dissapointed with the ds overclock I asked for stage 2 they got 4.5ghz but at 1.4 vcore I re overclocked and am stable at 4.5 with 1.240 vcore, not to be negative but if I am paying for an oc I would expect them to atleast try different settings. There was no reason that the vcore had to. Be that high unless it was just so they could do it quick and easy. Not a problem I don't mind having to do it myself,
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 11:28am

I'm glad to see everyone helping.

@CrazyGamer,

If your system is just shutting down, I assume turning off like someone pulled the plug? This can be due to:

1. Overheating (can you check your temps by running a software called HardwareMonitor) and showing us the temps here?

2. Not enough power, can you try plugging the system directly into the wall outlet and not any surge protectors or UPS battery backups?

3. Overclock stability (can you see if the issue goes away when you load BIOS defaults and use it with no CPU overclock)?

Quote CrazyGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by tju76

Go into bios and tell me what your vcore is at or run a stress test in windows with cpuz running to see what it is at. Your vcore could be to low will windows boot? I was really dissapointed with the ds overclock I asked for stage 2 they got 4.5ghz but at 1.4 vcore I re overclocked and am stable at 4.5 with 1.240 vcore, not to be negative but if I am paying for an oc I would expect them to atleast try different settings. There was no reason that the vcore had to. Be that high unless it was just so they could do it quick and easy. Not a problem I don't mind having to do it myself,

Hi, thank for the solution. Unfortunately, My Vcore is high too ~ 1.4+. I am running at 4.5 ghz and the overclock seem unstable :(.

Quote CrazyGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Alex

I'm glad to see everyone helping.

@CrazyGamer,

If your system is just shutting down, I assume turning off like someone pulled the plug? This can be due to:

1. Overheating (can you check your temps by running a software called HardwareMonitor) and showing us the temps here?

2. Not enough power, can you try plugging the system directly into the wall outlet and not any surge protectors or UPS battery backups?

3. Overclock stability (can you see if the issue goes away when you load BIOS defaults and use it with no CPU overclock)?

hi,

Yub,, its turning off like someone pulled the plug. After a "beep" its turn on again.

Here is the Screenshot, i think the Temp look fine.

I will try to plug the power cable directly to the wall and use default setting from BIOS. Hopefully the issue go away.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 12:35pm

Let us know how a direct cable in the wall works and even BIOS defaults. I recommend trying one thing at a time to see what it may be.

A CPU voltage on that processor (six-core) of 1.42v is not high. The average range on that CPU with that speed (4.5Ghz) is 1.38V-1.435V and varies depending on the CPU bin, etc...
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Alex

Let us know how a direct cable in the wall works and even BIOS defaults. I recommend trying one thing at a time to see what it may be.

A CPU voltage on that processor (six-core) of 1.42v is not high. The average range on that CPU with that speed (4.5Ghz) is 1.38V-1.435V and varies depending on the CPU bin, etc...

I was talking about the i7 3820 and my system, there is no reason the vcore had to be so high? the only conclusion i can come to was it was a quick OC with little effort/thought put into it, it took me 3 mins to change my DS OC, stress tested for 24 hours and thermals were down from 71°C-73°C to 48°C-50°C its just disappointing that you pay for something so simple and have to make it correct.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 3:44pm
@tju76,

If I recall from memory, your situation was different. I believe I sent you screenshots as well showing thermals and everything running perfectly when we tested the PC at our facility
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 4:21pm
I did not recieve screenshots of my rig at ds I stresstested first thing and found my vcore and thermals that high
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 4:31pm
tju76,

Understood, I've made a credit on your order for the overclocking service you paid for, we will issue you a full refund on the overclocking service. Our team will contact you either today or tomorrow to get your card details so we can process the credit.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please email me directly ([email protected]).
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 4:53pm
thank you much appreciated
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 4:54pm
You're welcome. Strong
 Post Reply Post Reply