Post Date: 2012-03-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Simon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Opinions on my new system
    Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 1:56pm
Hello everyone! This is my first time to purchase from DS. I had previously bought from ----------- , and WOW... Thye're a horrible company. I didn't think it could be that bad, the reviews on them that is, but it most definately was! So anyways this PC needs to be able to render out HD videos mostly with 3D modeling here and there. I will be running programs such as Sony Vegas Pro 11, Adobe's photoshop, and dreamweaver. I would also like to run games maxed out on my 24 inch SCeptre E246W monitor at a 1920 x 1080 res. The games I will be running are Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Battlefield 3, Killing Floor, Batman Arkham City and Asylum, and Minecraft.
This is the config I made 668360. The budget I have is set at $3700
Any help is much appreciated. I would also love to have this computer last 3-4 years till I need to upgrade the GPU.

[EDIT: Competitor's name removed - Alex]

Edited by Alex - 25 Mar 2012 at 3:37pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 2:43pm
Hi Simon,

That is not a bad system.
1. You don't need the 1200w PS for this system. The 1050HX will do the job. You can't add a third GPU to this system so the 1050HX is the way to go.

2. Change the SSD to the Intel 520. You might even consider the 520 180Gb.

Here is a system I would consider for your system. It is built on the X79 platform. I put in the 580 3Gb GPUs but the new 680 2Gb would be a good choice. Although the 3Gb of Vram may be beneficial for your work.

I put in the 1200w PS so if in the future you move up to a 2550 monitor you can add a third GPU.

Frank

Configuration: 668372 Cost: $3692

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB Classified Ultra (EVGA 03G-P3-1595-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Edited by FrankW - 25 Mar 2012 at 2:44pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 2:48pm
Hi Simon..... welcome to the forums........I'm not on my Pc right now so can't configure, but for 3D and video rendering and to Max out gaming with your monitor check out the ODE level 4.    The X79 platform with 6 core i7-3930k and the cf, 2x 7970, it's tough to beat.    Others might chime in to help, but in the mean time, look at the ODE 4.     Good luck and let us know.                        FrankW was quicker than I.

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Mar 2012 at 2:50pm
Simon View Drop Down

Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:12pm

Yes Frank, I did debate about the 680's but decided against it because I would like the added VRAM and the better Mpixels/sec because of my high res. Plus games haven't been really advancing in the graphics depatment so if this was just a pure gaming platform I would get an HD 6850 crossfire, but since I do modeling and rendering I have the 580's. But thanks for your input. I like your system; however, I have heard that the LC can have problems where as the D14's are extremely reliable. Not much to go wrong in a block of cooling fans!

Edited by Simon - 25 Mar 2012 at 3:14pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 4:20pm
Unfortunately, with the X79 platform with stage 2 overclocking and multi- gpu, DS says the H100 cooler is needed.     FrankW is right.     Might be a reason to stick with your original mobo and Cpu.and make changes to psu, etc.   I agree, the D14 is very reliable.      A big block of cooling fins doesn't. Have much to go wrong.    
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:59am
Simon,

This is not true LC, it is a closed system with no maintenance. Obviously not as reliable as a D14 but gives a little better cooling along with a little more noise.

If you are really into modeling and rendering you should step up to the 3930K or 3960X with their bigger cache.

What high res are you referring to?

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply