FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One year with a Krypton and my thoughts...

Post Date: 2014-11-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WhiskyGlen View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WhiskyGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: One year with a Krypton and my thoughts...
    Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 9:56pm
Just over a year ago, on October 17th, 2013, I broke down and ordered a Krypton from Digital Storm.  These were the specs:

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Laptop 526978 Quantity: 1 $2,746.00
- PROMOTION: 10% Discount of $305 Applied to Digital Storm Laptop 526978, Original Price $3,051 Quantity: 1 $0.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Krypton 17.3 Inch Laptop (Model: S:8295)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Anti-glare) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 4900MQ (Up to 3.80Ghz) (Quad Core) (8MB Cache) <b></b>
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB Sticks)
Primary Drive: 240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Secondary Drive: 750GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB with NVIDIA Optimus
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks
Extra Charger: - No Thanks
Extra Battery: - No Thanks
Carry Bag: - No Thanks
Audio: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <b></b>
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Sub-Total: $2,746.00
Tax: $247.14
S&H: Ground $47.00
Grand Total: $3,040.14

I considered writing an actual review, but this is not a 100% positive, glowing review so I will not even bother.  Also, for some reason, my old username at my e-mail address got unregistered so I had to make this one.

Anyways, the shipment arrived and I was pleasantly surprised as to how well the package was packaged.  It would have taken a UPS driver to run over the box for my laptop to be damaged.  I opened it up and was thrilled with the appearance.  I set it up and first thing i notice is a glowing keyboard.  It seemed unnecessary and even annoying at first, but it certainly has grown on me. 

Second thing I noticed, and almost just as quick, is the poor keypad provided with this particular laptop.  I have owned two 17" laptops prior to this one and in both cases, the keypad stetched from nearly the edge of the left side to the right side.  Not so with the Krypton.  What the Krypton has instead is the same super compact keypad that would be put on a 15" laptop that contains a numeric keypad.  What this means is that the spacebar is about an inch less in length than my previous keypad, the left Fn key is non-existent, the width of the F keys is maybe 2/3, a few other things I am forgetting as I am not looking at my old laptop right now, but by far the most annoying thing is the numeric keypad.  The zero key is at 2/3 the length of a keypad made for a 17" laptop and butt up to it is the right arrow key.  In other words, if using proper typing technique for a numeric keypad, the thumb sits on the right arrow key instead of on the zero key.  After some time, I have learned to bend my thumb in, but it is uncomfortable and I still often hit the right arrow key instead of the zero.  I checked other companies I have not bought from and Alienware has full 17" keypads.  Origin (as of last year) is the same as Digital Storm with compact keypads.

So after my gripes about that, I did notice something that was awesome.  The sound quality is amazing.  When I listened through my Youtube playlist, it was almost like my songs were all brand new as I was hearing instruments and sounds that were not audible before.  I don't notice the difference anymore as I have now become used to it, but the sound quality is spectacular, especially for a laptop.

My reasoning for buying this laptop was for the upcoming game The Witcher 3.  That has since been delayed to next February.  I should have waited a year, but I did not so I have yet to play a superbly graphic heavy game yet. 

I have put hours into Europa Universalis IV.  Though that game is not graphic heavy, it does contain lots of calculations that should make it hard on the processor.  On max graphic settings, it runs like a beauty.  The fan seems to have three speeds and it never runs past the second speed on that game. 

I also put many hours into Football Manager 2013.  Again, not graphically heavy, but lots of calculations.  I was able to add leagues from three to four more nations from before and still have the calculations during simulation run quite a bit faster.  Oddly enough, the recommended settings for the game for my laptop is only "high."  If I put it on the highest level for graphics, then the match simulator lags.  Since the 3d engine is nothing fancy, I chalk that up to a programming issue.

The only other game I put numerous hours into is Rome:  Total War II.  This is the only game I have played so far that gets my fan running at what I believe is the fastest speed.  It's fairly loud, but not too annoying.  I just think of all the heat the dual fans are removing from my system and I am more than content with it.  As for Rome, the game runs mostly like a charm.  I almost never have lag during battles unless they are battles with over 50 units on the map at the same time.  Even then lag is rare and seems more like a memory leak issue than this laptop not being able to handle it.

Shortly after I got it, I recalled using 3dMark as a teen on my parents PC.  I decided to use that for the first time in years.  I was disappointed in my benchmark.  I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head (I had always planned on doing a second run and posting them in a much sooner posted review).  However, in comparison to other systems, mine was only in the top 57 or 58th percentile.  I didn't worry about that too much as most who run 3dMark are probably gamers with desktops. 

In addition to all that, this laptop fired up faster than any rig I've ever had.  Part of that is probably Windows 8 (which I was originally almost going to skip) and part of that is probably the SSD drive.  But even after installing Kaspersky anti-virus, the start-up time was not slowed a bit.  To this day, 13 months after receiving this system, the start-up time has not slowed much if at all.  Super impressed with that.

Shortly after I began using my system, one of the worst things that happened to a new system did.  Within a couple weeks, I was playing Europa Univeralis IV and found I had a stuck blue pixel afterwards.  I came to these forums to ask for help and while some users did try to help, nothing from Digital Storm support.  When I finally demanded some support, the answer I got was that it took five dead/stuck pixels for maintenance to be performed on my system.  Could you imagine if you just paid $3k for a unit, got four stuck/dead pixels and they would do nothing about it?  I tried everything from those very fast flashing color screens on Youtube to using one of those while gently rubbing a cotton swab on the area.  No luck.  Fortunately, a week or two later, I took an Endust screen cleaner wipe to the screen and for some reason, that caused the pixel to unstick. 

Another issue that I reported on this forum (and asked others if they had) was the screen itself.  If you look at the screen from the side, you can see blue in many points beyond the plastic as if the adhesive is coming off that holds the plastic to the screen.  It seems to not cause any issues as of now, but I am concerned about dust and other build-up in those areas in the long term. 

My goal is to get five years out of this system and after 13 months, it seems to be holding up well.  But one major concern was a very poor warranty on these systems with no option for buying additional coverage.  In three and a half years, I may be thankful for that...  or it could be like my first laptop I ever owned and in five months, my motherboard could fry and I would be out of luck. 

Overall happiness with rig:  8.5

Adjusted overall happiness when considering the price:  6.0

Would I buy from Digital Storm again?:  4.0  = doubtful, but not out of the question.

What should be done to fix my complaints?:  Find a different supplier for the chassis.  It seems the worksmanship on this system is great and the hardware is of course good.  Everything is in great working order, but the chassis is sub-par.  The 15" keypad on a 17" system is a sign of the chassis supplier being cheap and not wanting to have to manufacture a different keypad for a different size chassis.  I could understand for a $1,000 or less rig.  For something I paid $3k for, that is pathetic.

Sorry for my long winded post, but I have been meaning to write this for nine or more months and I finally found time.

*edit*

An annoyance for me was the addition of the blu-ray player.  It was made clear to me before I bought it that though it would have a blu-ray player, there would be no playback software.  Having said that, it's still annoying to buy something and have it not be functional.  It's like buying a toy as a kid and finding it didn't come with batteries.  Even if you knew that before hand, it's still annoying.

Edited by WhiskyGlen - 14 Nov 2014 at 10:02pm
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 9:07am
Nice review, WhiskeyGlen.

I agree with some of your complaints.  In my own review I mentioned my concerns about keyboard layout as well.  I too am concerned about the warranty.

In partial defense of DS, they don't manufacture the chassis and instead use the Clevo/Sager chassis that a lot of other gaming laptop manufacturers use.  I don't know what other choices they have out there for laptop chassis manufacturers, but I suspect it's extremely limited.

That said, if more folks by laptops from DS, perhaps they can be persuaded to start looking into building custom chassis for some or all of their laptops.

Other than the chassis, warranty, and customer service issues, it sounds like you're still relatively happy with the unit.  I hope it lasts the 5 years for you.  I'm on a 3-4 year cycle myself, but may need to push out to 5 depending.

Quote WhiskyGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 1:40pm
I am a recent college graduate, so the year cycle may be cut to three to four if I end up with the job I want.  I do understand that they don't manufacture the chassis (that was explained to me when I complained about the keypad before), but there has to be other options.  Perhaps a company as big as alienware creates their own, but my first laptop was from ibuypower and I don't believe they are much bigger than Digital Storm, if at all. 

I thought I researched my laptop pretty good before purchasing, but I just assumed a 17" laptop would come with a 17" appropriate keypad.  When I brought this up, one of the suggestions customer service provided me was "it sounds like you need the Behemoth instead.  You can trade it in...."  Made no sense as the Behemoth also has the small keypad. 

Thanks for the comment.

Originally posted by Roykirk

Nice review, WhiskeyGlen.

I agree with some of your complaints.  In my own review I mentioned my concerns about keyboard layout as well.  I too am concerned about the warranty.

In partial defense of DS, they don't manufacture the chassis and instead use the Clevo/Sager chassis that a lot of other gaming laptop manufacturers use.  I don't know what other choices they have out there for laptop chassis manufacturers, but I suspect it's extremely limited.

That said, if more folks by laptops from DS, perhaps they can be persuaded to start looking into building custom chassis for some or all of their laptops.

Other than the chassis, warranty, and customer service issues, it sounds like you're still relatively happy with the unit.  I hope it lasts the 5 years for you.  I'm on a 3-4 year cycle myself, but may need to push out to 5 depending.
Bootystank911 View Drop Down

Quote Bootystank911 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 6:37pm
I'm a proud new owner of a level 3 krypton.
Specs:
Intel Core i7 4810MQ
NVIDIA GTX970
32 GB memory
128 Solid State drive
750GB HDD drive
Killer Wireless N 1202
Blu-Ray optical drive
Windows 7 pro

BootyStank911

Quote WhiskyGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Bootystank911

I'm a proud new owner of a level 3 krypton.
Specs:
Intel Core i7 4810MQ
NVIDIA GTX970
32 GB memory
128 Solid State drive
750GB HDD drive
Killer Wireless N 1202
Blu-Ray optical drive
Windows 7 pro

Congrats.  I hope you enjoy yours.  Do you have any of the same complaints I have or are you completely happy with your system so far?  And on the positive side, do you not agree the sound quality is amazing?

Quote Bootystank911 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 6:28pm
No I like the keyboard the way it is. I'm just excited that I get to see ultra high settings and smooth gameplay
BootyStank911

Quote WhiskyGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Bootystank911

No I like the keyboard the way it is.

Have you ever used a 17" laptop with the larger keyboard?  Have you also tried created an Excel spreadsheet using the numeric keypad with one of these condensed keyboards?

Quote Bootystank911 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 1:22am
I have small fingers lol so it fits me perfectly
BootyStank911
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 10:24pm
I've not actually had an issue with the numeric keypad on the Krypton.  I've had one on my last 4 laptops (2 Dells, 1 Alienware, and the Krypton) and never found a problem with any of them.  My issues with the keyboard stem more from a lack of the left Fn key and the fact that you have to use Fn to access the Home and End functions.  That is still annoying me greatly. I'd also like to have a context menu key, but I understand those are passé on most keyboards these days, of any ilk.

Quote WhiskyGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 8:13pm
Small fingers don't help the zero being improperly placed to the right due to the right arrow key being under 4/5 of the 1 key. 

I don't ever really use the end or home keys so I guess that is why I did not notice that.  Though I do believe the print screen key on my old laptop was it's own key...  don't remember for sure on that one.  It's one of those things to where when you shell out big bucks for a system, it should be a no brainer to utilize the space if it exists to make a more traditional keyboard.

The reason I came back to this post is that I have two comments to add to my original post.  One positive and one a gripe to which I forgot.  Since it is Christmas, I will post the positive comment first.

I received the game Dragon Age: Inquisition for Christmas.  Since the Witcher 3 has been delayed yet again, this is the first game I have had to truly test the power on this system.  On the default settings, the game runs like a charm and I average close to 45 FPS in the benchmark tool that comes with the game.  NVIDIA's Geforce Experience program recommends I turn down a couple of things from high to medium (while recommended I turn up a couple different ones).  But I've ignored that advice and have had zero issues.  The game froze up one time and that is the absolute only time I've had a game CTD or freeze up on this system.  That's pretty impressive when I think back to the old days of constant CTDs and freezes (if that's programming or the system, I do not know).  I may try to turn up a few of the settings and see if anything happens, but the graphics look very good the way they are so I am not itching to turn them up...  enabling anti-aliasing may be nice, but in that past, anti-aliasing has ruined games for me on older systems.

Now my gripe I forgot to mention in the original post.  The power cord.  I prefer to have the power supply on the ground.  The problem is that the cord that connects the power supply to the back of the laptop is not very long.  If you have a normal desk to where it drops from the back, it will likely touch the ground.  However, if you have your laptop on a dining room table like I do now, then it will hang slightly off the ground thus putting pressure on the connector to the laptop itself..  over time, that cannot be good.  Thus I keep the ugly power supply on the table as the cord going from the power supply to the outlet is surprisingly long.  It seems to me you'd make the cord from the laptop to the power supply a lot longer than the power supply to the outlet.  I imagine that's a chassis issue again?
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by WhiskyGlen

...Now my gripe I forgot to mention in the original post.  The power cord.  I prefer to have the power supply on the ground.  The problem is that the cord that connects the power supply to the back of the laptop is not very long...

Agreed with this gripe. The power brick has to sit up on my desk or a table as well when I use it most of the time.  Luckily the cords you can use that go from outlet to adapter are long enough.

Regarding the Pause/Break key, it's been a separate key on some of my laptops, and tied into the function key on others, but since it's separate on the Krypton, I haven't had an issue.  It would be an issue for me if it weren't since I'm still not pleased with the Right-Fn being the only Function key.

Quote WhiskyGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

Agreed with this gripe. The power brick has to sit up on my desk or a table as well when I use it most of the time.  Luckily the cords you can use that go from outlet to adapter are long enough.

Regarding the Pause/Break key, it's been a separate key on some of my laptops, and tied into the function key on others, but since it's separate on the Krypton, I haven't had an issue.  It would be an issue for me if it weren't since I'm still not pleased with the Right-Fn being the only Function key.

The cord from the outlet to the adapter is plenty long.  But personally, I'd rather keep the power supply on the floor and not use up my limited desk space.  It's an oversight for sure.

The thing with the keyboard is that it's unnecessary to make it small.  It's really just a way for the company to be cheap and only make one size of keyboard rather than two.  I look at all the extra room next to my keyboard and I cannot figure out why the space was not utilized.  I paid over $3,000 for this laptop and I don't expect corners to be cut.  I expect everything to be high quality, well thought out, and well designed.  It is something I will look closer at next time and right now, I am thinking it's a deal breaker for buying from Digital Storm again if it does not change.  I could change my mind on that...  especially if this laptop lasts five years like I want.  But I do feel a bit cheated on the keyboard.

As another update, I upped some of the graphical settings on Dragon Age and turned on anti-aliasing.  FPS dropped to just above 30 when doing the benchmark, but have never had any issues with playing the game itself.  Only time it lags is when looking through the telescope for shards (scanning large areas in the distant landscape).  It's a bit irritating, but I just deal with it as the game looks great how it is.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 5:39am
Hi WiskeyGlen,

You seem to have a lot of positive things about your computer except for the keyboard. I wonder if you looked at the DS pictures of the keyboard before you bought your computer? You can see the size of the keyboard and it should not have been a surprised. In my mind a laptop is a compromise purchase for any gamer. Before I bought one I would have researched the unit to make sure it had what I wanted. DS clearly states their policy on stuck or bright pixels in their warranty.   

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 14 Jan 2015 at 5:40am

Quote WhiskyGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi WiskeyGlen,

You seem to have a lot of positive things about your computer except for the keyboard. I wonder if you looked at the DS pictures of the keyboard before you bought your computer? You can see the size of the keyboard and it should not have been a surprised. In my mind a laptop is a compromise purchase for any gamer. Before I bought one I would have researched the unit to make sure it had what I wanted. DS clearly states their policy on stuck or bright pixels in their warranty.   

Frank

My previous two laptops both had keyboards made for 17" laptops.  Why would I expect other companies would go with a cheap chassis maker that would ignore that?  The only reason the chassis maker doesn't make a proper keyboard is so they only have to make one style.  If you notice, at least at the time, they had a chassis that was nearly 100% identical, except for a 15".  This way they only had to make one keyboard.  I have never used one that has contained the smaller keyboard, so why would I think they even exist?

As for the stuck pixels.  This company has one of the worst warranties out there for laptops with no option to upgrade (at least as of when I purchased).  It was one of the things that made me almost not go with them.  Maybe your pixels will get stuck some day and then instead of complaining, you can just think "well, their warranty doesn't cover it, so oh well.  no biggie."
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 3:52pm
Nice review!!
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 4:29pm
I'll share your feedback about the dead pixel warranty with the team.

Quote WhiskyGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2015 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Alex

I'll share your feedback about the dead pixel warranty with the team.

Thank you.  Fortunately, after trying numerous things to unstick mine, it only ever unstuck when I used a moisture wipe to clean the screen.  Somehow that did it.  Apparently luck is more important than voodoo magic (color scanning youtube videos while gently rubbing a q-tip on the stuck pixel).

However, I am equally concerned about the chassis issues as I am the warranty.  That is really the main deal breaker from going Digital Storm a second time in a few years.

By the way, this is long overdue but I only noticed it now. Why was I charged tax on this?  Digital Storm certainly has no office in my state to my knowledge.  I don't remember tax being listed when I went through the ordering process, but I see it now when I look at the details I used for my review...
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2015 at 12:45pm
Hi WhiskyGlen,

When you have a chance, send me an email directly with your order details and I'll be more than happy to look into the tax charge, cheers! My email is "[email protected]"
 Post Reply Post Reply