Post Date: 2014-12-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ok peeps...Need a laptop
    Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 5:23pm
Budget:
[Not an issue]

Expectations:
[Best]

Usage:
[Gaming Overseas]

Special Needs:
[Overseas in Qatar]

Ok guys to those that know me this will be my 5th system I'm buying from DS.
I have taken a medical contract (2 years) in Qatar(which is below Saudi Arabia). And I need a system to take with me. Looks like I will be taking a laptop. So my choices are of course the "Behemoth". But am open to the "Krypton". My biggest fear is to be in Qatar and something goes wrong with my laptop.
My questions:

Do I really want SLI? Is there more of a chance of it giving me issues?
I most definitely want the 17.3 screen. Is the Behemoth better in cooling, sturdiness, etc?
To those that fly overseas. The laptop will be riding with me on my carry on. I assume that will not be an issue?
I have a S***LOAD of games! Huge amount on Steam. This laptop I buy will have to handle 2 years of gaming. Which one covers that or build?
I guess I should look at weight, maybe?
I see on the configurator that I can only get a 750 HD. I would like to get a 3TB WD black. Can I change to a WD black?

Three configurations:

The third one is the one I'm leaning toward. And I will have to tell them that I need the setup for the electrical in the middle east. I would imagine that won't be an issue?
I don't know when I will be leaving and they will give me a month's notice. So that shouldn't be an issue on the build.

Thanks everybody.

Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 11:19pm
I have no information on laptops.. but if you're looking for someone to babysit that fantastic rig of yours while you're gone, I'll volunteer.  Evil
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 1:00am
Everybody wants to babysit my rig.   

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 5:43am
Girl, i am one state up above you, i'll babysit that massive rig while your gone....lol
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:05am
Hi oldlady RPGer,

I no nothing about DS laptops but here are some thoughts that might help.

1. If SLI means two separate GPUs I think that would be a good choice. If one fails you can still operate on a single card while you wait for a replacement.

2. If you overclock you can always remove the OC in the bios if you have a problem.

3. You will be dealing with a lot of heat in Qatar and you might want to take a cooling pad to set the computer on. While the hospital may be air conditioned, your quarters may not be.

4. Considering the travel you will be doing I would have a special case to carry the computer in. I would carry extra cables, memory sticks and such with you.

Then you should practice adding and removing SLI and OC while you are still in the States. If you can afford it you might even carry a spare CPU and power supply if it is possible to change them out in the field.

Frank

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:18pm
No Behemoth here, only a Krypton, so bear that in mind.

Considering what you're used to in your current rig, you'll likely be happier with SLI, although not all games will use it or use it well if they do.  However, laptop GPUs being not-so-equivalent to their similarly-named desktop counterparts, you want as much power as you can get.

Regarding cooling, it's harder to say since I don't know how the cooling system on the Behemoth compares to the Krypton, but it will likely have adequate cooling.  The extra from a cooler will be a good extra.

The Behemoth is aptly named.  It will be a stretch transporting in in carry-on unless it and its accessories are nearly the only things you have in the case.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 2:34am
Thanks RoyKirk and FrankW.
Hmmm sounds like the SLI is a good thing to have.
I have read some reviews(RoyKirk and WhiskyGlen to name a few) and am not to worried. I always use a mouse on a laptop and the keyboard might be annoying but not a deal breaker.
Yes bringing the Behemoth on carry on will be interesting for sure.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 2:39am
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1125465

Another build.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 2:51am
Hi RPGer.... I don't do much with laptops, they all look good to me, but just wanted to say Hi and best of luck with your upcoming assignment.   

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 8:09am
Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

Another build.

If I had double my usual laptop replacement budget, that's the one I'd get.  Looks like a killer system.  That CPU would probably devour Skyrim, which is often CPU-bound because of the Papyrus scripting engine.  I could certainly live with that laptop for a two-year contract, especially since my usual replacement cycle is three years. Drooling
nskojo View Drop Down

Quote nskojo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 12:28pm
Having lived in Quatar don't worry about heat. Everything is air conditioned because it gets 110+ and you would literally melt it feels

Qatar is awesome and pretty much the closest your getting to a westernized world. I stayed on a military base so the power was 110-220 standard plugins so no converters or anything. I would t have DS change anything and buy a adapter before you left
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:53am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi RPGer.... I don't do much with laptops, they all look good to me, but just wanted to say Hi and best of luck with your upcoming assignment.   

Hey bp22 and HI back!!    Yes they certainly do look good.   

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Roykirk

Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

Another build.
If I had double my usual laptop replacement budget, that's the one I'd get.  Looks like a killer system.  That CPU would probably devour Skyrim, which is often CPU-bound because of the Papyrus scripting engine.  I could certainly live with that laptop for a two-year contract, especially since my usual replacement cycle is three years. Drooling

Thanks for your opinion since you use a DS gaming rig laptop. My husband has a DS laptop but it wasn't bought for gaming.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 1:01am
nskojo I have been studying Qatar for a few months and have talked to a few people that had contracts in the ME. Glad to get your input as you lived there.

Just a side note for anybody reading my posts.
I priced DS against the other boutique builders(NOT D*** UGH) and DS still has the most bang for the buck. They destroy the others with their warranties and customer service. That's what brings me back.

Post Reply Post Reply