OC question

Post Date: 2015-03-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: OC question
    Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 1:09am

IMO, even if Prime 95 overheats on small FFT, that's a torture test. I don't see that sort of issue for GPU benchtesting. As this is a gaming PC, I feel I can ignore the high temps for small FFT ( I shut it down after a short time when temps hit 86C.)

I was surprised with the good cooling setup on the Velox, that I was overheating, but not alarmed or even that motivated to try to tune the fans more ( nor am I sure how to tune the fans on the radiator, and front intake fans.)

Nor am I sure the temps would not have stabilized at 90C. I really don't want to risk brand new CPU ( I am told 100C is max safe temp, and CPU would throttle down at 90C anyways.)

I did raise vcore to 1.39 Volts to get to 4.4 GHz. Seems reasonable and I have not seen scary looking temps so far with normal load ( normal meaning not hammering on 12 cores with floating point ops :)

Anyway, wondering what other people have done?

Edited by michaeljhuman - 09 Mar 2015 at 1:15am
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 4:29pm
Mjh I really can't give a solid answer as our computers are totally different.

Here is a link that I have on my favorites list that may help you.

http://www.overclock.net/

Hope ya find the answers you seek or maybe some help.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:18am
Hi michaeljhuman,

First let me state that I am not an OC expert by a long ways. Just stating some thoughts for consideration.

I would not push a 5930 to 100 degrees. These processors run hot. They should throttled back around 95 up to 100 dependent on the CPU. But why do you want to run up to those temps?? It can't be good for the CPU in the long run. For long term reliability I wouldn't go over the 1.39 Vcore. I know people run higher Vcores but that's not for me.

You would have better results using AID64 rather than Prime 95. Most think that Prime is not suitable for the Haswell-E platform.

Here is a link to an interesting article from AnandTech about pushing the Haswell-E processors.

Frank

Haswell-E Review

Edited by FrankW - 11 Mar 2015 at 9:19am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 5:18pm
Prime95 is not a good stability testing tool. It's considered a power virus now and is used only for thermal testing or quick stability testing.

A system could be Prime95 stable but UNSTABLE in other tasks and vice versa.

Use a program like AIDA64 to do a real-world stress-test on your system.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 5:32pm
Fair 'nuff. I use it as one of the tools to test OC, and it works quite well in the sense that if it fails, I know I have to back down. It's quick and easy, but is not the final answer as you point out
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 Post Reply Post Reply