Post Date: 2015-05-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Nvidia 980TI
    Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:54am
Well, it looks like the 980Ti may be launching at the same time as the R390X.  Interesting times these are for graphic cards.  I'm kind of glad I did hold off a couple of months.  I can't wait to buy by 4th of July.  Hopefully the hamsters in my current rig keep peddling.  Big%20Smile

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=16919&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20980%20Ti%206GB&title=Rumour:%20Nvidia%20Planning%20GeForce%20GTX%20980%20Ti%20Reveal%20In%20A%20Fortnight
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:05am
Decisions, decisions.    I'd be pulling my hair out by now.  Hahaha     Oh wait, I already did. 

Just me, but if they're close in performance, even the 390x a bit better, I'd go 980Ti.  

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:30am
LOL Bprat.  Well, if you've seen my head, you'd see that I've got no hair left to pull out - lol.  I'm inclined to agree with you.  Depending on the price point of the 980Ti will be the other factor.  From what they're saying, the R390X is going to go for $849.  I would think the 980Ti would be a bit less than that but we'll see.  Hopefully the release rumors are 'accurate' and all will be revealed in 2 weeks or so.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:39am
HAIR?????LOLCry
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:08am
Well, it looks like the specs are out for this ('allegedly").  Also rumor has it out before Computex (May 28th).  With the AIBs and their coolers, it could easily overtake a reference Titan X.  However, there is question about the VRAM being set up like the 970.  Interesting stuff and it looks like reviewers already have the card so we should be seeing reviews next week or so!!

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-specs-benchmarks/

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:11am
Also looks like NVIDIA will be bundling this with The Witcher and Arkham.  Sounds like AMD needs to get the R9 390X (or whatever they call it) out quick.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2015 at 1:50pm
Those two games are bundled with a 970 or 980 right now.   I'll bet AMD bundles something.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2015 at 5:36pm
Right.  I didn't know if NVIDIA would go the route of the Titan X and not offer anything (although Titan X can now get The Witcher if the subscribe to the beta NVIDIA is running).  It certainly adds a little oomph for the card.  I'm curious how AMD will counter.  Heck, I'm just itching to see benchmarks of these cards.  I'm assuming they should be coming out within a week or so...
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:24am
I was telling Arkansaswoman just the other day that I'm stuck between a hard place. I either drop my GTX 980 Classifieds for the 980 Ti Classifieds or just say f*** it and grab 2x GTX titan X.

I need to see a good comparison in performance for triple GTX 980 ti Classifieds vs 2x GTX Titan X SC in terms of gaming performance and offload GPU computations.

But assuming that they don't downgrade the GTX 980 Ti too much, then that might be the choice. Even at 4k, I wouldn't need 12GB of VRAM and it's not going to give me a performance increase over 6GB.

Though I am upset that they are changing the paths of their Ti cards. Where, though not traditionally, the last generation showed a Ti to be the same as it's titan counter part, minus VRAM. If only the 980 Ti's were like that in terms of cuda cores unlocked. Let's just pray they don't touch the ROP's. Last thing we want is another memory scandal like the 970's.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:53am
From what I'm hearing, the Ti performance will be very close to the Titan X.  They are only disabling one SMX unit and cutting the VRAM to 6GB.  They are saying that performance will be within about 5% of the Titan X and they are allowing resellers to modify the coolers and overclock these as opposed to the Titan X where nothing of the sort was allowed.  The big question is what you hit upon - the ROPs.  There's still nothing being mentioned on this but there is conjecture that it could be like the 970s.  If the ROPs are the same, smart money would be with the Ti's it looks.

That said, I'm curious about AMD's Fiji card (whatever they call it).  I would hold off buying anything until those benchmarks are shown.  It could be a beast and rumor has the price at $849.

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 26 May 2015 at 9:02am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:05pm
They allowed overclocking on the Titan X. I refer you to the EVGA Titan X SC. They've never allowed custom PCB's though for any of the titans, and minus the hydro cooler, never allowed custom cooling. Perhaps you were referring to the PCB's.

They are cutting more than just one SMX unit from what I've read so far. It'll have less cuda core's also, which is what I care about really. 6GB vs 12GB isn't really a performance thing so I'm not worried about it.

They are definitely handling the ti versions different this time around compared to the 700 series.

But, truth be told. I'd really be an idiot to buy a Titan X. Anyone would be. If you bought a titan X, you're just too inpatient. These are the first of their kinds (in term of their arch). Even nvidia has said, the titan X barely scratches the surface of this new GPU arch.

But I'm not a wise man. I need some 980 Ti Classifieds (maybe). And I need a lot.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:06pm
I refer to you to this:

Proof of overclocking of the Titan X

This shows EVGA overclocking it (which a decent factory overclock) to resell.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:32pm
Hey Meller,
Yeah - that was worded poorly.  I actually was referring to the PCBs.  Unless you put the Titan X under water, the Ti should be comparable or perhaps even faster 'out of the box' with reseller's custom cooling and their overclock vs. Titan and the air cooler.  Also, I agree and you are correct, one less SMX unit means less CUDA cores (256 less) than the Titan.  However, it seems that benchmarks (if they are to be believed as everything is just rumor) have the Ti pretty close to the Titan X.  That said, the ROPs seem to be the big 'open item' like you indicated.  If it's like the 970, then it probably isn't a great buy - especially at $750 a pop.  That said, NVIDIA definitely is handling the Ti vs. Titan different this time around.  My guess is that a). they may have learned from their previous way with the Titan owners outcry but more likely b). the Titan X all along was really a gaming card where as the previous Titans were that hybrid gaming/professional card.

If I were you, I'd hang on to the 980s and wait for Pascal.  For me, as I'm on a 9 year old rig that is slowly dying on me, I need to buy pretty much now.  I'm just waiting for the 980Ti and the AMD Fiji card to drop, check the reviews and then order (although Titan X could still be in the mix for me).  I'm targeting around the 4th of July to finally get something that can play Dying Light - lol. 

Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:51pm
I definitely recommend checking out all benches before making a decision. This release cycle is getting all kinds of complicated with new parts coming from everywhere.

I'll make sure we cover all the new hardware in depth when they release!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:03pm
Hey Steven, how soon does D.S. get inventory for newly released items?  The reason I ask is that the AMD Fiji card looks like it may be fairly scarce for a bit...
Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:19pm
We generally get the physical samples a few days or about a week before the official street date.

We usually don't get as much time as I would like to play with the hardware before launch but at least it's something.

EDIT: I can't comment too much on scarcity but I do know that there was nooo way we were going to run out of Titan X on launch day.

Edited by Steven - 26 May 2015 at 3:21pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:24pm
The scarcity of components is because DS buys them all up.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:41pm
LOL bprat.  So Steven, what you are saying is that you have the 980 Ti now as it's rumored to be out by next Tuesday!!  Hahaha
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2015 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Steven

EDIT: I can't comment too much on scarcity but I do know that there was nooo way we were going to run out of Titan X on launch day.

What do you mean you're not going to run out on launch day? Wasn't the official launch back in like March?
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Meller

Originally posted by Steven

What do you mean you're not going to run out on launch day? Wasn't the official launch back in like March?

Hiyas Meller, welcome back, so to speak.

It seems Steven was talking past tense.   
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2015 at 7:21am
It was early, I must have misread it...

Not really back. Just been active a few times these past few days. I'll be returning to reality here soon.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2015 at 6:22pm
Awww c'mon Meller!! 

That said, it's been confirmed it appears that the 980Ti will be released June 2nd.  Also, rumor has it that the AMD Fiji card ( whatever they'll call it) has two 8 pin PCIe power connectors.  If this is true, that card is going to pull mega watts of power (300+ easy).  Yikes. 
Code0110 View Drop Down

Quote Code0110 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2015 at 4:52pm
Reviews of this beast card are flowing in, price almost all of them are listing is 649$ about 100$ over a GTX 980. Big%20Smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2015 at 5:24pm
I haven't seen any real reviews.  However, I have see the specs confirmed and some alleged benchmarks and if they're accurate, this will have pretty close to Titan X performance.  Although, the alleged benchmarks didn't really compare high resolution (i.e. 4K) and that's where I'm most curious with this card.  The pricing seems to be either $649 or $799.  If the former, I think I saw they'll drop the 980 by $50.  Also, a lot of AIB models of the Ti.  I wonder which ones DS would get.  The Asus card looks pretty kick butt. 
Code0110 View Drop Down

Quote Code0110 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2015 at 5:47pm
Wondering on the AIB models as-well, as far as I can find PC mag and PC world have publicly published reviews along with afew benchmarks,about an hour or two ago.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2015 at 5:58pm
Hey Code - thanks for the heads up on the reviews.  They have just started to trickle in.  Here's a pretty good one on a lot of games:
http://www.techspot.com/review/1011-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti/

I'm figuring by tomorrow morning (EDT), there's going to be all sorts of stuff.  I really want to see comparisons of the AIB versions as EVGA; Asus and a couple of other brands look like they'll have some kick butt options.
Code0110 View Drop Down

Quote Code0110 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2015 at 6:20pm
No problem Cool I am always in the loop, I can bet my top dollar that someone most likely EVGA is going to make a hybrid GTX 980 Ti or perhaps a superclocked version.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2015 at 6:32pm
Ohhh yes.  EVGA has a bunch of SKUs.  I'm not sure if the prices are accurate but:
  • GEFORCE GTX980TI REFERENCE card is going to be shipping for $799
  • GEFORCE GTX980TI SC (SuperClocked) edition with ACX2.0+ cooling solutionat $810.
  • GEFORCE GTX980TI SC REFERENCE retailing for $816.
  • GEFORCE GTX980TI SC+ (With Back Plate) and the ACX2.0+ cooling solution $827
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-leaks-geforce-gtx-980-ti-sku-lineup-and-prices.html

Interesting times with the Radeon Fury coming out in a couple of weeks...

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 31 May 2015 at 6:32pm
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2015 at 6:36pm
Code0110 View Drop Down

Quote Code0110 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 2:30pm
DroolingOkay note to self:Never underestimate Nvidia cards again and secondly good punctual timing with the benchmarks.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 6:28pm
Thanks Nav!!  Definitely a kick butt card at a price much cheaper than I thought it would be.  AMD better bring their A-Game with the Radeon Fury.  
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 4:09pm
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified is coming out shortly (**in the voice of Ben Stein** Meller... Meller...)

Interestingly, the factory rated speeds are the same as the Gigabyte Windforce board, but will probably cost over $100 more. The Gigabyte board has had a lot of consumer complaints about coil whine, so maybe the custom Classified boards components solve that.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 4:28pm
Yeah - I wish DS was carrying one or two of these AIB cards.  It doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon.  I'm not so concerned with the clock speed etc. but the cooling and the back plate. 
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 5:56pm
We can always special order a specific card if you would like to use it in your build.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 6:26pm
Thanks Nav.  The issue then becomes the warranty.  DS doesn't warrant special order parts so if one of the 3 cards go, I'd be on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply