Post Date: 2014-10-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CamTheMan View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CamTheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Nvidia 980M Question
    Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 1:07pm
Already put this in General Discussion but this seems to be a better place for it. Hopefully not breaking any rules.

Rig: Level III Digital Storm Krypton
CPU: Intel Core i7 4810MQ (Quad Core, 6Mb cache, can OC to 3.80 Ghz)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 880M 8G

I did research and came up with more questions than answers. I'm a computer noob so please bear with me.

1.) Is the 980M for sale yet? I see preorders for it on DS but have also found articles saying it was released earlier in October.

2.) If the 980M is out, would it be worth it to pick up?

3.) If I do pick up a 980M how difficult would it be to replace it myself? (Best way to learn is to do, right?)

Finally

4.) Does DS get some sort of deal through Nvidia on the GPUs they use? If they do then I assume it would be cheaper over buying it myself.

Any help is appreciated, I'm glad I went with DS.
Interests: Orc slaying, Sith tossing and other nerdy endeavors
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 2:32pm
Some of these questions DS would have to answer.

The 980m appears to be about 20-40% better frames than the 880m. Whether it's worth the money depends on your graphics needs. Laptop gpu can be expensive.

The gpu is relatively easy to change. I would get some new thermal paste for the new install. The bottom panel comes off, then the fan and heatsink/pipes are removed. Then the gpu. I haven't done it on a laptop but seems very doable.

Hope this helps.
CamTheMan View Drop Down

Quote CamTheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:05pm
Thank you sir!

Edit: Question is still open if anyone else has anything to add. I'm a patient dude

Edited by CamTheMan - 20 Oct 2014 at 3:12pm
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:21pm
That awkward moment when I feel like I just answered this question else where...
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
CamTheMan View Drop Down

Quote CamTheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:26pm
Hahahaha yes you did Meller, thank you for your help. I just wanted this to get seen somewhere. Thanks again!
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:28pm
Cam, I've purchased gaming laptops for several years now, and the one lesson I've learned is: buy the absolute best GPU you possible can.I'm not a bleeding edge FPS gamer, but I am so happy I went with the 880M on the Krypton I purchased in April.

Having a top-end GPU can really free you to bring out the best in a game, and on laptops that's even more important, since the mobile GPUs aren't as powerful as their desktop equivalents and you need the maximum possible.

So yes, I'd advise you wait till the mobile 9x0 parts are available from DS next month.
CamTheMan View Drop Down

Quote CamTheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 7:30pm
Roykirk- Unless I'm reading you wrong, you seem to think I'm still waiting to buy my laptop. I bought my Krypton (the same one that's in your signature) in September and I too am in love with it.

But now I'm seeing all this noise about the 980M and I have this pile of cash just begging to be spent. I had help from Meller, who enlightened me to the fact it'll probably a while before 980Ms are for sale as individual components. That was my main question. 2 was confirmation of what I knew, 3 I can figure out when/if needed and 4 I didn't really expect an answer on. Thanks though!
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:39pm
You're right, I misread what you were saying, probably because I read this thread first rather than your other ones where you went into more detail.

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily want a 980M since I already have the 880M, and am happy to wait a few generations.  But if you have that chunk of change burning in your pocket, go for it.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:21pm
Night and day with the GTX 980m vs the GTX 880m. In my opinion, nvidia let us down with the 880m. Unfortunately, it'll be difficult for a lot of chassis to allow for an upgrade from the 880m to the 980m simply because of the position of the chip on the board. It changes up the heat sink.

If you have the money, the 980m is a very nice important. It's closing the gap between mobile graphics and desktop graphics by a sh*t load. (comparing the 980m vs the 980)
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
CamTheMan View Drop Down

Quote CamTheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 2:03pm
I agree with you Roy, I love my 880M. I run all my games on at least high (I scale back AA, etc. a little)and they run beautifully. But like you said, if you can upgrade why not go for it?

Meller- You seem like a pretty knowledgeable person. Do you think that the chassis on a Krypton like mine or Roys could handle the upgrade to a 980M relatively easily?

I'll probably have DS do it for me if I can. Tried looking at some YT videos on switching out mobile GPUs and they may as well have been in Russian. (I don't speak Russian)

Hope you don't mind all my questions over the past few days, thanks again for helping.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Meller

Night and day with the GTX 980m vs the GTX 880m. In my opinion, nvidia let us down with the 880m.

Well, my last card being a 460M, I'm not having any issue with the 880M. Hahaha
And for what I'm doing with mine, having those 8GB of VRAM are absolutely critical.  I understand the 980M has that much as well, and I like that they're being consistent with giving the top mobile part plenty of headroom.  I'm still very happy with my 880M, so I'll be waiting to upgrade for now.  I'd probably consider an upgrade another two generations past the 980M (1180M?).

Originally posted by Meller

Unfortunately, it'll be difficult for a lot of chassis to allow for an upgrade from the 880m to the 980m simply because of the position of the chip on the board. It changes up the heat sink.

This is why I've decided to get the top mobile GPU available at the time I buy a new laptop.  Upgrades of laptop parts are always questionable because of the design needs of those cramped spaces and no guarantee an upgrade is even feasible, so always get the best you can.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by CamTheMan

I agree with you Roy, I love my 880M. I run all my games on at least high (I scale back AA, etc. a little)and they run beautifully. But like you said, if you can upgrade why not go for it?

No scaling back of AA for me!  I'm greedy that way. Evil

Originally posted by CamTheMan

I'll probably have DS do it for me if I can. Tried looking at some YT videos on switching out mobile GPUs and they may as well have been in Russian. (I don't speak Russian)

I'm pretty good with Russian and upgrading desktops are no problem for me, but I'm with you on the laptop upgrades; if I decide to do it, I'm taking a trip to the Bay Area and scheduling an appointment with DS. Im%20with%20Stupid
CamTheMan View Drop Down

Quote CamTheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 5:32pm
Arma is really the only game I scale it back any. I keep a draw distance of ~5000 meters and it'll put my frames below 30. Still looks gorgeous though, even with only 4xAA.

Roy you don't happen to have a general idea of what temp. your rig runs at do you? I just downloaded something that monitors temperature, volts etc. for all the components and wanna compare notes.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 2:13pm
No, I used to use CoreTemp on my old laptop, but haven't in a while because it's not been updated in a year.  CPU-Z and GPU-Z I have installed, but I think one of those doesn't monitor temps (CPU-Z?).

I suppose I should fire up GPU-Z and see what's what while I'm Skyrimming as that seems to be the most stressful thing I play right now.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 10:41pm
Fired up GPU-Z tonight.  Temps at 99% GPU Load were hitting 85-86C.
CamTheMan View Drop Down

Quote CamTheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 10:47pm
I was snagged some CPUID stats from a long-term gaming session, including some Shadowplay (not sure if it makes a difference)and my GPU hit a max of 84C. Not sure where that leaves the rest of it but at least they seem to be hitting similar number.

CPU package hit 69 and the motherboard 66. Not sure where that lies but hopefully it's between fair to good.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 2:04am
AS bprat says everywhere, temps in the 70s and 80s are fine.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 2:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply