Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pcosta View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pcosta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Not for gaming
    Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 8:55am
Hi,

Would like your help in configuring a PC not for gaming. Specific needs are: managing several databases of +100,000 pictures, need to to manage several tasks open at once (VPN, video conferencing, multiple web pages), light video editing, large excel spreadsheets. General usage at home office, quiet and fast performance.

Budget:
$3000 to $40000

Expectations:
Keep it for the next 4-5 years. Snappy performance.

Specific questions: what is the most appropriate video card for my needs (often have to search for the right picture and need it to load quickly)
Should I invest more on the CPU processor or ram memory? or both?
Should I overclock the CPU?
Will I need a cooling system?
What size power source?
Planning to use it with Dell U2413. Should I get a video card that supports HDMI or DVI-D?

Saved Ticket #: 933831

I'm reasonably adept with computers but don't keep current with the rapid changes in technology.

Appreciate your input and suggestions
thank you
Pcosta
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 10:01am
Max Budget = $40,000.  WOW ! 
Why did you go with the cheapo El Slade model?  You could get a used VAX for that kind of money!

• A SSD  will SIGNIFICANTLY increase your load times.   With a $40,000 budget, I would go SSD exclusively.  RPM hard drives are so bourgeoisie, don't you think?

• I would increase the SSD from 256 GB to to 512 GB.  (You might have to go the advanced options menu, but you CAN select a 512 GB Samsung Pro SSD.)  Use the hard disk for long term storage and the SSD for current projects.

• The Slade model uses the Obsidian 550D case.  There is a trade-off between a totally enclosed mid-tower quiet case like the Slade  and its heat transfer capability.  Totally enclosed does = quiet, but its smaller size comes at the cost of less efficient cooling.  More air space for heat transfer = better cooling.  Slade liquid cooling configuration compensates for the lack of air space with high rpm liquid cooling fans which might be a tad louder.  Just FYI, perhaps it will not make any difference to you.

• I prefer air-cooling.  Get a big case like the HAF-X with its big, slow (slow = quiet) fans.  Air-cooled is less maintenance.  1) NO air cooled system will EVER leak liquid onto your internal components.  2) No air cooled system will EVER run low on liquid and cause overheating.  Of course, this case is bigger than the Slade.  My HAF-X with one GPU, and it runs very quiet.  HAF-X case is much larger than the Slade case.

• [Video Card:  Just looked at your configuration:  I know nothing about the NVIDIA Quadro K4000 3GB; another forum member will have to comment on it.]  That said, the 780 TI is the best single GPU NVIDIA card right now.  To be fair, I think AMD has a faster single GPU but its prices are higher because it can be used for Bitcoin mining.  

• Searching for the right picture is a CPU function.  Your 6-core i7 4930K 3.4GHz is perfect for your "multiple tasks open at once" needs, and is certainly within your $40,000 budget.  

• 32 MB, 1866 MHz is more than adequate.  

• For your needs, I see no need to overclock. 

• 1050 W power supply s/b fine.  I size the PSU by going to pcpartpicker.com, selecting the parts I will use, and it gives me the exact watts I need.  Then I use 120% of that to size my PSU because you have to account for occasional peak usage.

• Why Windows 7?  Unless you use programs that do not run under Win 8.1, I would go with Win 8.1 for no other reason than to future-proof your system.  I also wanted Win 7 but once I put the Start button back and got it to boot to desktop, it is 90% just like Win 7, so I really cannot tell the difference, except that Win8 cannot run Vietcong, the best FPS ever made.

Edited by forrest74 - 09 Mar 2014 at 10:03am
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 10:28am
Originally posted by pcosta

Hi,

Would like your help in configuring a PC not for gaming. Specific needs are: managing several databases of +100,000 pictures, need to to manage several tasks open at once (VPN, video conferencing, multiple web pages), light video editing, large excel spreadsheets. General usage at home office, quiet and fast performance.

Budget:
$3000 to $40000

Expectations:
Keep it for the next 4-5 years. Snappy performance.

Specific questions: what is the most appropriate video card for my needs (often have to search for the right picture and need it to load quickly)
What size power source?
Planning to use it with Dell U2413. Should I get a video card that supports HDMI or DVI-D?

Saved Ticket #: 933831

I'm reasonably adept with computers but don't keep current with the rapid changes in technology.

Appreciate your input and suggestions
thank you
Pcosta

Welcome to the Digital Storm forums!

I'm not an expert on the database programs, but from some poking around on the internet, it looks like your priorities for snappy performance should be:
1) I/O Speed (Input/Output Speed)
2) CPU Power
3) GPU Power

For I/O Speed, you'll want to focus on two things.
For internal storage, you'll want fast, reliable SSDs on a SATA 3 connection. The Samsung Pro is a good choice here, though there are others with similar performance and reliability. You could even step up to an SSD-on-PCIE solution, which plugs directly into the motherboard and provides even more speed. These can be pretty pricey, however.

For external storage, you'll want the fastest interface possible to make sure you're not bottlenecking. Currently, that means Thunderbolt 2. You may have to special-order a motherboard with this capability, or consider a Thunderbolt 2 add-on card.

what is the most appropriate video card for my needs (often have to search for the right picture and need it to load quickly)
As indicated above, your GPU is not crucial to this particular task. A midrange workstation GPU should suit your needs just fine, while providing solid compute performance for those video editing tasks that do use the GPU (mostly FX work).

You could also consider stepping down to a midrange gaming card. It'll have little impact on your regular workload, and if your video editing is light enough, you probably won't miss the workstation card's power.

As indicated above, I/O speed is often the primary concern for managing a database. However, both CPU and RAM will be important. For your usage, there's no need to focus on "high-speed" RAM - 1600Mhz should be fine - but having a lot of it will prevent your system slowing down when loading large databases and documents simultaneously.

Yes. A moderate overclock, backed up by a simple air or closed loop cooling solution, is one of the most straightforward ways to boost your system's overall performance.

Yes - but a simple CPU-only solution should suffice. The Slade case (a Corsair Obsidian 550D) has plenty of airflow, but if you do go with an overclock, you'll need a cooler to pipe heat away from your CPU. An air cooler or closed-loop liquid cooler will be perfectly fine and low maintenance. There's no need for a sophisticated liquid cooling setup when you're running a single (non-overclocked) GPU.

What size power source?
For a single CPU+GPU setup, somewhere in the range of 750W should be fine. If you're using this machine for business, I'd recommend a "platinum" rated power supply - they offer superior energy efficiency, are less likely to fail at an inopportune time, and generally have longer warranties in the event that they do fail. Oh, and the energy efficiency means that they'll pay you back some of the initial extra cost over time.

My personal recommendation would be to focus on cards with HDMI and DisplayPort support. DVI-D is an aging standard, and some of Dell's newer Ultrasharps are dropping support entirely. (See the U2414H). I don't see HDMI going away soon, but DisplayPort is the most modern standard, and probably the most futureproof.
pcosta View Drop Down

Quote pcosta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 2:50pm
Sorry for the typo. Budget is $3,000 to $4,000. Wish it was $40,000.

Thanks for the great responses so far!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:31pm
Looks like a really good build. I made some tweaks to save you a few dollars but still maximize performance. Win8.1 will run/perform better (you also won't need the PRO version to run 32GB RAM) but if you have software requiring Win7 then that's what you'll need (PRO version as you already selected to run 32GB RAM).

933968 $3995
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Dakota Red View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dakota Red Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:03am
I agree with fstcvc's build. One thing that he mentioned is real important for you to find out. Has your business software been upgraded to work with Windows 8.1 If not, then to run your software on your new computer you will have to order it with Windows 7 installed.

My DS Slade computer is both a gaming computer and my work computer. I had many of the same concerns that you mentioned before I ordered my computer. I feel the Corsair 550D case is the perfect desktop computer for anyone that has to work in a home office. It is large enough to fit most top self components, not so large that it is hard to move or place near your desk, and is very quiet. For people that do a lot of gaming on their computers being quiet it not a big concern. (Let's face it, computer games produce a lot of noise.) People that work from home need a very quiet computer so that other people in the home are not disturbed. My Slade sits next to my desk which is in an alcove in my bedroom. When I work late at night my girlfriend can fall asleep because this DS Slade is so quiet. I don't know if being quiet is a concern of yours (it wasn't for me with my first DS computer) but it is another benefit you will get if you order the DS Slade.

I wrote a review of my DS Slade purchase here:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/slade-the-quiet-one-tidf20578/

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Performance matters. Non-Performance is not an option.
pcosta View Drop Down

Quote pcosta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:01pm
Thanks for all of the input.
Forrest74: I'll get the 512 Samsung Pro SSD.
One of the reasons I picked up the Slade, because I do want a quiet computer. I realize that the airflow will be limited, but it sounds like I don't really need to overclock my CPU, so that may help in generating less heat. I will also try to do some research, but it sounds like for my purpose I don't need the typical video card used in gaming. If I combine these two changes I may not need air cooling at all.
Counsel: thanks for you thoughtful response.
Should I go with a faster CPU and avoid overclocking? Would that reduce the heat generated by the CPU? I will try to size my power supply with some room to spare, but I'll take your advice and go with a Platinum rated PSU. fstcvc: Thanks for the tip on Windows 8.1
Dakota Red: thanks for your review. I don't want a case that is too big and I do want a quiet computer. My current computer is a bit noisy, sometimes it sounds like it is going uphill on a slow gear...
Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm still undecided on two points:
What kind of video card should I get since I don't do any gaming?
Should I skip the overclock, get a simpler/smaller video card and forget about air cooling?
Thanks for any advice that will help me make those decisions.
 Post Reply Post Reply