FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not Computer Savy need help with monitor to PC.

Post Date: 2014-01-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Paulferrerisays View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paulferrerisays Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Not Computer Savy need help with monitor to PC.
    Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 6:24pm
Hello family, i have recently purchased the first tier Vanquish PC i know its nothing special but its most definitely the most powerful computer i have ever had it runs all my games on Ultra setting without a problem, best $699 dollars i ever spent. Now here is my dilemma when i bought this computer the only monitor i had was only VGA compatible luckily i found a monitor that looks like its about 10" that somehow is DVI input but with such a nice computer in my opinion i decided to purchase a nice 24" Apex monitor with 60HZ, HDMI, 1080p VGA and HDMI hook ups. heres my dilemma i bought a DVI cord that works on my old 10" monitor but when i try and use my DVI to VGA adapter on my new APEX(and my somewhat decent Aces VGA only) monitor it doesnt work the monitor says it has no signal then just shuts off. i also bought an HDMI cord that plugs into the monitor but does fit into my computer. it apears i need to buy the HDMI to mini-HDMI coord. the only reason i am nervous to do so is because i do not understand why my DVI to VGA adapater into a VGA monitor does not work. can anyone shed some more light into this for me? my video card is the standard 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB (Includes PhysX) that came with the computer. why does the DVI to VGA adapter not work and will the HDMI to mini-HDMI cord work? Should i just return the new Apex monitor i got although i got for a steal and just buy a DVI capable monitor althought ill be dropping an extra $100+ dollars or should the HDMI to Mini HDMI cord work? it is Sunday evening and i am off all work tomorrow so if i could a get a definite answer tonight or early tomorrow that would be great because i am off all day tomorrow and would have plenty of time to get all that done. Sorry for rambling got a few Chimay Blues in me :) Thanks for your time guys/and gals   

Edited by Paulferrerisays - 19 Jan 2014 at 8:25pm
Still Hustle Til The Sun Come Up, Crack A 40 When The Sun Go Down.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 4:20am
Hi Paulferrerisays.... The mini hdmi to hdmi should be no problem.   Just a smaller plug.

I'm thinking your dvi cable is dvi-d, digital only.   VGA is an analog signal and you might need dvi-i cable that is both digital and analog. The packaging should tell you what cable you have or Google dvi cables, to match the pin layouts. I'm not at my pc so can't post picture.

Hope this helps.

EDIT......

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Jan 2014 at 7:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply