Not complaining, looking for clarification

Post Date: 2012-02-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AUSCPT View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Not complaining, looking for clarification
    Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 12:16pm
I hadn't planned for my first post to be like this.

I attempted to order one (ODE) yesterday via phone (actually my wife made the attempt), as a gift for me.

The order was completed, CC# given, etc, etc. Then, since our shipping address isn't the same as our billing address, things became very complicated. The person taking the order indicated that we would have to provide a bunch of additional things before the order could be placed. He emailed us a pdf to be printed, filled out, and scanned. He also asked for a copy of my wife's drivers license, passport, or other picture ID. He also wanted a copy of both sides of her credit card. All of this was then to be sent back by fax. The order could not be placed until all these materials had been sent/rec'd.

In addition to being over intrusive (from our perspective) and potentially dangerous (risk of identity theft), it is a nuisance, because we don't have either a scanner or a fax machine. (Nancy has these facilities at her office, but we were placing the order from our home in the country, which is 20 miles away from her office in Iowa City.)

So the order is now delayed until we will be back in Iowa City on Monday. We can either have Nancy do the scanning and faxing at her office, or I have the option of picking up a money order and mailing it. Having to do either of these rankles me.   With all of the info Nancy supplied, they should be able to build and send the computer without all the additional red tape.

Thoughts?
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 12:40pm
Hi AUSCPT....Others have had similar concerns.   Here's the thing....DS needs to verify the account is legit and not stolen.  Mailing a package to a different address than billing address is how lots of people get fraud purchases on their cards.  I have had to cancel a credit card for just that reason.  Their added forms is a definite pain but I feel needed.  With all due respect and not directed at you, but if I had my way useing a cc and sending to different address should be stopped, this would fix most fraud.

I would rather they be a pain in the butt for this than someone steals my card info and orders a DS computer to be delivered to another state.

It is a pain, no doubt, but when it's all said and done you will be very happy. Big%20Smile

Just my perspective Enjoy the rig when you get it.Big%20SmileBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Feb 2012 at 12:42pm
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 12:42pm
I use to work in the credit card processing industry and they are simply doing this to avoid any chances of a charge back if the transaction actually turned out to be fraudulent.  When dealing with a transaction of a few thousand dollars, they are just trying to cover themselves because if they ship the computer to a customer and the transaction ends up being charged back due to fraud, DS will lose both the money and the computer. 

Although this is probably the reason why they are requesting all of this info, I think this request may be a little excessive though.  Perhaps there is another reason for requesting so much information, I cant tell you based on the information you provided so I dont know.  But I definitely understand your frustration and concern.
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by kane860

I use to work in the credit card processing industry and they are simply doing this to avoid any chances of a charge back if the transaction actually turned out to be fraudulent.  When dealing with a transaction of a few thousand dollars, they are just trying to cover themselves because if they ship the computer to a customer and the transaction ends up being charged back due to fraud, DS will lose both the money and the computer. 

Although this is probably the reason why they are requesting all of this info, I think this request may be a little excessive though.  Perhaps there is another reason for requesting so much information, I cant tell you based on the information you provided so I dont know.  But I definitely understand your frustration and concern.

Understood, but my frustration may lead to my cancelling this particular order. At one time we had multiple homes, still have a couple...We found out long ago that we needed to consolidate to one billing address, too many problems otherwise. We haven't dealt with a refusal to ship to an address which is different from our billing address, ever.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:03pm
I understand how you feel.  Perhaps Alex could chime in and give us his thoughts.  @Alex, what do you think?
System:
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:06pm
Yep, same as bpratt and kane said, it's annoying but needed. We do the same thing for big purchases at my work, we make the customer provide proof that the purchase is legit.

Some people tell us that it's our job to call the bank and verify it but that's actually against the law. Privacy laws are very strict these days and your bank or credit card company can only speak to you the card holder. By law you the card holder must provide the proof to the retailer. For an in store purchase it's easy because they can see your ID, the paper work DS is asking for is just their way of doing that. We do the exact same thing, we make the customer fax copies of their ID and credit card as proof it's really them.

DS mainly deals in only $1000+ purchases, with the exception of the occasional minor upgrade, so they do things a little different then say some place like Amazon where you may only spend $50-$100 on at a time. DS is also a much smaller company then some big huge retailer so they have to do more to protect themselves and their customers.

A massive retailer like Amazon probably spends more money paying their legal department each month then DS does on the salary for their entire company. It is totally normal, and is down right required, for any business to have to get verification when a persons information does not match.

Identity theft and fraud costs people tens of billions, yes billions, of dollars each year. The most recent number I could find showed in 2008 it was $31,000,000,000 (figured I'd show all those zeros). As those numbers keep getting worse retailers keep having to do more to prevent the fraud.

People will always get their information stolen, usually do to carelessness, but if the retailers do their part the thieves won't be able to get away with it as easily.

Edited by jmaster299 - 04 Feb 2012 at 1:21pm

darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:20pm
i work in customer service for other companies, and while on one hand, I wish you would order from DS, on another hand, it annoys me when people explains what the situation is and just ask for your "understanding", the customer still wants to have the last say by saying "May lead to my cancelling this order".

I mean, is it some kind of a threat? i mean, if you are going to cancel, cancel, if you're not, you're not. no point of "saying it out loud" as if that statement will make the company change its mind (I mean...it could just cuz you give it "passive negative publicity").

o well. good luck

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by darbebo

i work in customer service for other companies, and while on one hand, I wish you would order from DS, on another hand, it annoys me when people explains what the situation is and just ask for your "understanding", the customer still wants to have the last say by saying "May lead to my cancelling this order".

I mean, is it some kind of a threat? i mean, if you are going to cancel, cancel, if you're not, you're not. no point of "saying it out loud" as if that statement will make the company change its mind (I mean...it could just cuz you give it "passive negative publicity").

o well. good luck

People use that line at my work all the time when demanding a discount that they do not deserve. "I don't ever pay full price, refund my shipping and give me 20% credit or else I'll cancel my order". They like to follow that up with threats to dispute the charges (which is 100% illegal) if we don't give them what they want.

But the OP appears to just be expressing his frustration and not fishing for an exception or discount. He just seems to want to know if this is normal since it's new for him, but I know exactly what you mean.

My company gives their service associates a lot of authority to issue discounts and compensation and our customers abuse the hell out of it. I'm in the department that reviews every one of those discounts and compensation and we report customers to management for abuse all the time.

People who are found to be abusing discounts or compensation get a letter in the mail telling them that we will no longer do business with them and their info, any and all addresses and credit card numbers used on any previous order, gets flagged in the system. Any order they attempt to place will be stopped and cancelled.

Edited by jmaster299 - 04 Feb 2012 at 1:29pm

AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:33pm
The consensus from most seems to be that we should just put up with the request. However, the person who took the order didn't seem to get it when we explained that we don't have a fax machine, live 20 miles from the nearest one, etc.
Furthermore,we do almost all of our purchases online (and while a $2500 purchase doesn't occur every day, it does occur several times/year); we have *never* been asked to provide this kind of personal information before a purchase was accepted.
One reason we went with DS is that it is supposed to have good tech support. We now find ourselves sitting around on the weekend, unable to even speak with anyone at DS.
How can they provide good tech support if no one is available via phone on evenings and weekends?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:39pm
DS has excellant tech support.   I'm guessing if they opened 24/7 the prices would be less attractive.      If you need a Pc, then DS is the right place to go.    Good luck and hope you do order.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:47pm
There is one thing to remember when considering both of your issues about needing to provide the paperwork and DS not being open on the weekend, DS is a small company. To help with that the owner, Alex, responds to e-mails and the forums all the time on nights and weekends when ever he has time. That right there should show you how small of a company DS is when the owner of the company responds directly to e-mails and forum posts on a daily basis. Good luck getting a direct response from someone like Michael Dell.

As I mentioned before it's not the same as some big retailers like Amazon. Big retailers can afford a higher degree of risk, hell they specifically set money aside in their multibillion dollar budgets to cover loss due to fraud. They also have millions of dollars to spend on a legal team that can actually go after the people who try to rip them off.

As far as being 20 miles from a fax machine I find that hard to believe. Any Fedex Office (formerly Kinkos), UPS store or other shipping service will have fax services. Any local check cashing place or currency exchange will offer fax services. The service counter at your local grocery store will offer fax services. Even a drug store like Walgreens will often have copy and fax services. So unless you live in a cabin in Alaska there is a fax machine some place near by that you can use.

You should also be able to scan those documents and e-mail them or scan them and use one of the hundreds of on-line faxing services that are out there. You talk about owning multiple homes and making all these big purchases so it's not unreasonable for a retailer to assume you have access to either a fax machine or a scanner.

Edited by jmaster299 - 04 Feb 2012 at 1:52pm

AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by darbebo

o well. good luck

Some kind of a threat? You obviously live in a far different world from mine...I posted my concerns, and where they may lead.

No, I don't make threats.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 2:08pm
To try and keep the discussion on point here, it is not uncommon, or unreasonable, for DS or any other retailer to request proof of your identity when making such a large purchase. Especially when your billing and shipping info does not match as that is a huge red flag for potential fraud.

As I said before if you were making a large purchase in a retail store they would ask to see your ID, this is no different. (If you are shopping at places that don't ask for ID you either have a lazy cashier or are doing business with bad companies that don't care about their customers) If your info matched DS would not be asking for the extra paper work and verification.

Edited by jmaster299 - 04 Feb 2012 at 2:10pm

AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by jmaster299

There is one thing to remember when considering both of your issues about needing to provide the paperwork and DS not being open on the weekend, DS is a small company. To help with that the owner, Alex, responds to e-mails and the forums all the time on nights and weekends when ever he has time. That right there should show you how small of a company DS is when the owner of the company responds directly to e-mails and forum posts on a daily basis. Good luck getting a direct response from someone like Michael Dell.As I mentioned before it's not the same as some big retailers like Amazon. Big retailers can afford a higher degree of risk, hell they specifically set money aside in their multibillion dollar budgets to cover loss due to fraud. They also have millions of dollars to spend on a legal team that can actually go after the people who try to rip them off.As far as being 20 miles from a fax machine I find that hard to believe. Any Fedex Office (formerly Kinkos), UPS store or other shipping service will have fax services. Any local check cashing place or currency exchange will offer fax services. The service counter at your local grocery store will offer fax services. Even a drug store like Walgreens will often have copy and fax services. So unless you live in a cabin in Alaska there is a fax machine some place near by that you can use. You should also be able to scan those documents and e-mail them or scan them and use one of the hundreds of on-line faxing services that are out there. You talk about owning multiple homes and making all these big purchases so it's not unreasonable for a retailer to assume you have access to either a fax machine or a scanner.

We are glad to have the info about Alex and the size of the company. We also very much like to support American businesses, and particularly small businesses.
However, in terms of our access to a nearby fax or scanner... No,we truly do not have it. We live in Iowa. And in Iowa we live in the country. Why we do not use our country address as our billing address is a long story. But the short version is that it keeps our life simple.
In terms of having two homes (and therefore being likely to own our own fax or scanner), we didn't convey that to the person who took our order.
On the down side...
We hung up the phone yesterday feeling concerned about fraud and identity theft at the DS end of things. The person whom we spoke with took our info, but wouldn't take our order without asking that we provide even more info! We feel better knowing that it is a legitimate business with happy customers. Just hope that they have good security procedures in place....
The lack of tech support on evenings and weekends is also a downer, because that is when we have free time to deal with computer problems, but we can probably manage.
Thanks for your input!

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:01pm
Some other things to keep in mind. Say you were to buy a computer from Alienware, who is actually owned by Dell. If you want tech support you have to pay for it and you will get that tech support from some random person reading a script, who knows nothing about computers, and lives in India.

At DS you get FREE life time, us based, tech support. It may be 9-5 Mon - Fri but I will take that any over "Bob" in India who's only response is "run your recovery CD because I can't actually answer your question".

You also don't have to own to homes just for someone to assume you have access to a fax or scanner. Printers these days are almost all sold as All-in-One or combo printer/scanner and you get that for only about $50.

Not having any access of any kind to a fax is just not normal and that's probably why the sales person did not understand why you could not fax it. I can understand your situation but you just have to remember that what DS is asking for is not uncommon.

Like I said DS will more then likely accept a scan of those documents but if they really want it in fax form you can still can them and use an electronic fax service on-line.

Edited by jmaster299 - 04 Feb 2012 at 3:02pm

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:04pm
AUSCPT...now that things have died down a bit, I really feel that a ODE purchase would be good for all,DS and most importantly you. I have a ODE and love it. I have owned many rigs from numerous companies and this beats them all.    I understand your frustration and concerns. If you fell uncomfortable then obviously go elsewhere.   But, I think you would find the people on this forum to be helpful, outspoken but unique. DS does go the extra mile to help.   Are all things perfect..NO. but I challenge anyone to find better anywhere else. I hope you do join our community.

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Feb 2012 at 4:31pm
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:14pm
I literally have 3 fax machines in my house  lol  Ninja
System:
pos View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote pos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:21pm
When I ordered my ODE3 my shipping address was not the same as my billing addressCryI was sent all the fourms I needed by email and filled them out and scanned them and emailed them to DS all in less than three hours. Big%20Smile And to makes sure there would be no more delays I called my CC company to let them know about my purchase from DS and the cost. In less than 10 days I was opening that BIG gaint BOXExcited
the pos Loves His ODE3
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:50pm
AUSCPT these steps are for your protection and DS protection.When you have two separate billing and shipping addresses RED flags go up.Theres nothing wrong with it but its not the norm.Everyboby wants protection of their privacy but nobody wants fraud. You will be very satisfied when you purchase from DS. There high customer reviews to there A+BBB Ratings.Take a look at what DS built for me under DS Unlocked, extreme builds. The first one is mine, thats pictured there,read my comments.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 5:32pm
Thank you everyone for the support, here's a link to that actual document: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/CCform.pdf

I just wanted to point out two sections from it because they do a great job on explaining the reasons behind this step:

Thank you for choosing Digital Storm. This credit card authorization form is part of our verification process in order to protect our valued customers
from fraudulent purchases. We apologize for any inconvenience this process may have caused. In order to provide the fastest service, please make
sure you complete all three sections below and fill in all form fields.

Also, in regards to the photo copies:

You must also attach photocopies of your credit/debit card (front and back) and also a photocopy of a valid government issued ID along with
this credit card authorization form. For extra security precautions, you’re more than welcome to block out all digits on your credit/debit card
minus the last four and ID number on your ID. Our processing team simply needs to confirm that you physically possess these documents for
verification just like you would at a retail checkout point for a large purchase and that the signature on your ID matches the signature on the
back of your credit/debit card.

I completely understand that it can be unpleasant, however, this does help combat credit card fraud by a lot. If we ship to an alternate address and the purchase was fraudulent, if we can't provide any proof of authorization like the document above, then we're left with no option but to eat the cost on the purchase.

In addition, it's not like we don't already have the credit card number etc... we just need proof that you possess the documents. Big%20Smile

In regards to concerns of the security of those documents on our end, we don't print them out. If you fax them, it goes to a digital fax. We also do not save the documents, they do get deleted.

Edited by Alex - 04 Feb 2012 at 5:34pm
AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 6:01pm
Thanks, Alex.
We of course have seen and read the contents of the form.

And we commend you for achieving such a loyal clientele. Based on the comments in this forum (at least the reasonable ones!), I think we will probably go through with the purchase. But it will be simpler for us just to get a money order and mail it to you, which we will do on Monday. We are of course disappointed by the further delay that this will cause, but deferred gratification also builds character....right?

Nancy signs her name so many times that the signature on her passport and her credit card scarcely resemble one another, so it wouldn't make you happy anyway.

When you get into the office on Monday, google her. She is a pretty impressive techie geek herself. Check out the video that they made when she was awarded the UCSF medal, for example. Maybe she will eventually join the DS gang for her home workstation eventually as well!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 6:12am
Nice Awesome  Keep us posted and when you get it, we love comments and pics.Big%20Smile

Just watched the video....Awesome  Now that's what the world should focus on. 

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Feb 2012 at 6:19am
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 7:42am
that form looks like a typical credit card authorization form that we see many companies have in place in the credit card processing biz...  nothing wrong with it although I do understand from the customers perspective that its frustrating. 
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 7:45am
Originally posted by AUSCPT

Thanks, Alex.
We of course have seen and read the contents of the form.

And we commend you for achieving such a loyal clientele. Based on the comments in this forum (at least the reasonable ones!), I think we will probably go through with the purchase. But it will be simpler for us just to get a money order and mail it to you, which we will do on Monday. We are of course disappointed by the further delay that this will cause, but deferred gratification also builds character....right?

Nancy signs her name so many times that the signature on her passport and her credit card scarcely resemble one another, so it wouldn't make you happy anyway.

When you get into the office on Monday, google her. She is a pretty impressive techie geek herself. Check out the video that they made when she was awarded the UCSF medal, for example. Maybe she will eventually join the DS gang for her home workstation eventually as well!

I am actually a new customer myself but it was because of this forum that I decided to finally make my purchase.  Up until I joined the forum, I was debating for well over a year if I wanted to buy the computer from DS... I probably should have joined the forum much sooner.  Drooling
System:
AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 9:46am

I am actually a new customer myself but it was because of this forum that I decided to finally make my purchase.  Up until I joined the forum, I was debating for well over a year if I wanted to buy the computer from DS... I probably should have joined the forum much sooner.  Drooling
[/QUOTE]

I do not need a new computer, I want one, somewhat selfishly. Had the original transaction gone through, I would now be waiting (impatiently) for my new build to arrive. As it stands I have had time to cool off. I also checked on the size of the computer and find that it is considerably larger than my current desktop. (A high-end HP. We have multiple HPs; their customer service is so poor that we have vowed never to buy another.)
The study where I work is relatively small; the new concern is that it will not fit easily into available space.
Of course, if the order had gone through on Friday, I'd be in for a surprise when it arrived!

My original plan was to invest in an ODE 3, and depending on my satisfaction level w/the computer and the company, go on to purchase a workstation for my wife.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:57am
Sounds great! Glad to see the awesome stuff she is doing.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 11:13am
Yeah serious systems like these are big compared to your average off the shelf system. Of the different setups DS offers the ODE is on the smaller side. A high end case like the HAF X makes the ODE look small.

AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Alex

Sounds great! Glad to see the awesome stuff she is doing.

Glad you liked it, Nancy pretty much pioneered the field of brain imaging, and utilized it to study mental illnesses, primarily Schizophrenia.

And, she needs a quality workstation...Looking for advice re the workstation.
AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by jmaster299

Yeah serious systems like these are big compared to your average off the shelf system. Of the different setups DS offers the ODE is on the smaller side. A high end case like the HAF X makes the ODE look small.

Good to know that.
AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Nice Awesome  Keep us posted and when you get it, we love comments and pics.Big%20Smile

Just watched the video....Awesome  Now that's what the world should focus on. 

bprat22:

I missed your post, so you watched the video...Cool. You saw what rural Iowa looks like, and our farm. I believe that a pic of Nancy receiving the National Medal of Science from Bill Clinton was in there as well.

Edited by AUSCPT - 06 Feb 2012 at 6:44pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by AUSCPT

And, she needs a quality workstation...Looking for advice re the workstation.

We can definitely help with this. I recommend having her speak to our team so they can figure out what would be best around her needs, etc...
ironmb View Drop Down

Quote ironmb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 9:46am
This is a issue that makes sense, and at the same its a pain in the butt.

I have recommended DS to tons of co-workers looking to get better gaming pcs/laptops. Living overseas most people make their billing address to a stateside address, and then have the shipping address to their APO/AE address.

I just went through the headache of ordering yet another laptop for a friend just to have the same situation come up yet again. I called them the day i ordered to ensure that they knew why the shipping address was my fathers house, and not my Japan address. And they still messed it up and sent me the verification form etc.

Then a buddy of mine bought a laptop from them, and they requested all documentation of all his stuff, including his military ID. By our Air Force Instructions, we're not even allowed to send/fax/scan our ID, yet DS insisted he must send it to them. Such a pain in the butt.

Edited by ironmb - 07 Feb 2012 at 9:48am
AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by ironmb

This is a issue that makes sense, and at the same its a pain in the butt.

I have recommended DS to tons of co-workers looking to get better gaming pcs/laptops. Living overseas most people make their billing address to a stateside address, and then have the shipping address to their APO/AE address.

I just went through the headache of ordering yet another laptop for a friend just to have the same situation come up yet again. I called them the day i ordered to ensure that they knew why the shipping address was my fathers house, and not my Japan address. And they still messed it up and sent me the verification form etc.

Then a buddy of mine bought a laptop from them, and they requested all documentation of all his stuff, including his military ID. By our Air Force Instructions, we're not even allowed to send/fax/scan our ID, yet DS insisted he must send it to them. Such a pain in the butt.

Understood...I am retired military, myself.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 10:27pm
I do want to take a moment and thank you @ironmb for recommending us to your co-workers and friends. Big%20Smile
AUSCPT View Drop Down

Quote AUSCPT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 10:15am
I have been spending time reading the various threads available on this site...Needless to say I have learned a good deal re computers in general, and DS computers in particular. I had no idea that so much heat was generated via these computers, and I wasn't aware that they were considerably larger than the computers I have utilized in the past. My wife would say that I have just enough information to be dangerous. With that said, I would appreciate you all weighing in on the build I had in mind.

It would be used to play RPG's primarily. I have never played online games, and do not intend to, I am at present playing SKYRIM, and enjoying it. Should I insert the build in this thread, or start another?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>