FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noobler Questions :D

Post Date: 2015-01-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SuperSoldier23 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SuperSoldier23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noobler Questions :D
    Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 12:59pm
I've had my Digital Storm - Vanquish II: Level II for about a week or so now and I just have some questions.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Gaming PCs so please be patient with me if these questions that I ask sound a little odd.

#1. Should I put my PC on the floor or on a desk? The reason I ask is I heard somewhere that it will suck in dust and could cause airflow problems.

#2. I have a pug that sheds a lot. My apartment is covered in the little turds fur. If I need to clean my PC, how do I do it?

#3. I heard that static is bad for PC components. Is there anything I should or should not do to avoid causing any harm to the components?

#4. I haven't gamed on it yet since I don't have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and all that good stuff. Is it safe to turn it on without any of these things to see if it kicks on?

#5. I should have all my peripherals around mid February. I ordered my computer 12/16/2014. I heard that there is a 45 day warranty covering anything that may have happened to the system during shipment. Since I haven't turned it on yet or done any gaming on it, there's no way for me to know everything is fine until after that 45 day warranty is up. Advice?

#6. What should I do when I boot up my PC for the first time? I have my free antivirus software from Digital Storm and I'm going to install that right away. Is there anything else I need to do?

#7. What is BIOS? That sounds like some kind of Military Hazardous Contagion Containment Medical Unit or something. Haha.

I guess that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks everyone!!!!

On a side note, I'd like to thank Alex for helping me with my Never Settle Forever problem. Like I said, I'm new to PC Gaming and I'm sorry if there was any confusion. I redeemed my reward for Far Cry 4 and couldn't be happier!!! I can't wait to play it in mid February!!!!

Edited by SuperSoldier23 - 26 Jan 2015 at 1:12pm
JT
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 1:07pm
1. Its best for the pc to be put on a desk so dust/hair is preventable

2. I recommend buying http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW so whenever you need to dust out your pc you can remove the side panels and do a quick dusting.

3. Ground yourself and make sure you don't set it on carpet when you want to look at things.

2nd # 3/4 Not sure but i didn't turn my system on until a few months after i got it cause i didn't have the right keyboard but it turned on without any issue

5. You will need to run windows updates as there will be a bit

6. Bios is a type of firmware used during the booting process (power-on startup) on IBM PC compatible computers. The BIOS firmware is built into PCs, and it is the first software they run when powered on. Course you don't really need to go into it unless needed.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote SuperSoldier23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 1:11pm
Thanks. I just realized I put two #3's. Oops.

EDIT: Fixed. :)

Edited by SuperSoldier23 - 26 Jan 2015 at 1:13pm
JT
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 1:16pm
For the second #3 it may hang in the BIOS if it does not detect a keyboard. But, it should not hurt anything. If there is an LED read-out on the motherboard, you can look-up any codes that may pop up there (the codes that do pop up there are standard, they are just there to help with any debugging should anything go wrong with the motherboard).
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 2:00pm
Hi SuperSoldier23,

Glad to hear you're excited about your new system. In regards to the 45 day period, I suggest trying to test the unit with a different monitor or something else you may have around? It's hard for us to extend that as it would not be fair to other customers. I assume you'll be able to test the PC anyways within the 45 day window.

Enjoy your new PC!

Quote SuperSoldier23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 2:29pm
I understand Alex. I will try my best to test it out. And thanks. I will definitely be enjoying this computer with Far Cry 4. :)

Edited by SuperSoldier23 - 26 Jan 2015 at 2:30pm
JT
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 2:43pm
#3 in 15+ years of building and working on computers, I have never knowingly damaged any computer due to a static discharge. I try to ground myself on metal before doing anything inside the PC ( and ideally power it down completely and unplug it.)

If you are not opening it up, there should be no normal risks

That being said, anything can and does happen, but I am not paranoid about it

#5 BIOS is a program that runs when your computer boots up. Normally you don't need to change a thing in BIOS, but if you do, there's usually a key you hit to get into BIOS, like DEL or F8. It will usually tell you on bootup, but note this is very quick with modern PCs. If you don't understand something, or have good advice, it's probably best not to mess around. That being said, many of us learned the hard way to change BIOS for various reasons, but some of us made mistakes along the way to learn and hope other people become more educated than we were when making changes ;) Mostly you can't mess it up so much you can't recover, but still it's something to approach with a bit of caution IMO :)

Edited by michaeljhuman - 26 Jan 2015 at 2:47pm
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 12:22pm

1 - Try to never set a computer directly on the floor. The dust problem will be twice as bad, along with, yes, dirt, hair, etc.

2- I've used an air compressor - just set it out on a table on your patio (or somewhere outside) and blow it out. That little blower someone linked looks pretty nifty too. Canned air is a waste of money, they're almost worthless.

Another thing to obtain is a microfiber cloth & some specially formulated cleaner (used for modern HDTV's and computer monitors). Make sure the cloth is microfiber, so it won't scratch and won't leave crud from itself behind.

3. The only time you have to worry about static is when opening the computer up and working inside it. In that event just be sure to ground yourself by touching the computer's chassis or something else that's grounded.

4&5. Pickup a cheap optical mouse & keyboard at a computer reseller - I mean, that's gonna cost $10.00 - $15.00, tops. Or borrow them from a friend.

You can use your TV as a computer monitor by buying an HDMI or DVI-D cable (look at the ports on your video board and look up the board's specifications to know what kind of cable to get).   This is ASSUMING  you have a modern enough TV so it boasts a HDMI port on it. There are probably coax-to-HDMI adapters, but I've never gone that route so can't advise. Once you get the TV attached you'll have to open up NVIDIA's (or AMD's) application to configure it properly . .  . be aware you won't get better than 1024x768 resolution unless you have a monster / 4K TV.

This at least will do, will tell you everything's operating, until you get your proper peripherals.

6. Frankly, despite the fact it's "free" (yeah, right, *cough-cough*) , do-not-install-McAfee Anti-Virus. Oops
It's elephantine bloatware that has a huge memory footprint (eats up way too much memory & processing power), it turns into Begware after a year where it will constantly pester you for more money, refuse to update it's brain files (a must for anti-virus and anti-malware), it will possibly interfere with games, and so on.

Google "Microsoft Security Essentials" - it's 100% free, it's made by the same company that created your OS - Windows  (unless you're running LINUX or something :P), it has a small memory footprint, and you get updates all the time for, again, NOTHING.

(others recommend ESET which you might want to look into - can't advise as I've not tried it)

My opinion only. Perhaps McAfee has changed it's stripes in the years since I tried it, but I doubt it. I avoid it like the plague.

7. Just google BIOS. It's the basic start up set of instructions that sets up your peripherals and memory, how fast to run your CPU, video & hard drive initialization, etc. It does all the basic stuff then boots up your OS (operating system) which takes over from there.

Edited by Psimon - 01 Feb 2015 at 12:37pm
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Psimon

1 - Try to never set a computer directly on the floor. The dust problem will be twice as bad, along with, yes, dirt, hair, etc. 2- I've used an air compressor - just set it out on a table on your patio (or somewhere outside) and blow it out. That little blower someone linked looks pretty nifty too. Canned air is a waste of money, they're almost worthless.Another thing to obtain is a microfiber cloth & some specially formulated cleaner (used for modern HDTV's and computer monitors). Make sure the cloth is microfiber, so it won't scratch and won't leave crud from itself behind.3. The only time you have to worry about static is when opening the computer up and working inside it. In that event just be sure to ground yourself by touching the computer's chassis or something else that's grounded. 4&5. Pickup a cheap optical mouse & keyboard at a computer reseller - I mean, that's gonna cost $10.00 - $15.00, tops. Or borrow them from a friend. You can use your TV as a computer monitor by buying an HDMI or DVI-D cable (look at the ports on your video board and look up the board's specifications to know what kind of cable to get).   This is ASSUMING  you have a modern enough TV so it boasts a HDMI port on it. There are probably coax-to-HDMI adapters, but I've never gone that route so can't advise. Once you get the TV attached you'll have to open up NVIDIA's (or AMD's) application to configure it properly . .  . be aware you won't get better than 1024x768 resolution unless you have a monster / 4K TV. This at least will do, will tell you everything's operating, until you get your proper peripherals. 6. Frankly, despite the fact it's "free" (yeah, right, *cough-cough*) , do-not-install-McAfee Anti-Virus. OopsIt's elephantine bloatware that has a huge memory footprint (eats up way too much memory & processing power), it turns into Begware after a year where it will constantly pester you for more money, refuse to update it's brain files (a must for anti-virus and anti-malware), it will possibly interfere with games, and so on.Google "Microsoft Security Essentials" - it's 100% free, it's made by the same company that created your OS - Windows  (unless you're running LINUX or something :P), it has a small memory footprint, and you get updates all the time for, again, NOTHING. (others recommend ESET which you might want to look into - can't advise as I've not tried it)My opinion only. Perhaps McAfee has changed it's stripes in the years since I tried it, but I doubt it. I avoid it like the plague. 7. Just google BIOS. It's the basic start up set of instructions that sets up your peripherals and memory, how fast to run your CPU, video & hard drive initialization, etc. It does all the basic stuff then boots up your OS (operating system) which takes over from there.

Just to note MSE comes standard for Windows 8 so they won't have to download it unlike with 7
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 1:36pm
I always set PC on floor. It gets some dust, it can easily be cleaned. It's a matter of desk space. I need my desk for other things.
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by michaeljhuman

I always set PC on floor. It gets some dust, it can easily be cleaned. It's a matter of desk space. I need my desk for other things.

Personally, I have a computer desk that allows 2 outlier shelves... 1 higher for the printer and 1 lower for the actual computer. As the Vanquish II is a pretty good size case, I had to make sure it was going to fit.

Also the desk is big enough for dual monitors.

That dust is still going to get in there. If you have a dedicated cleaning plan (biweekly, monthly, etc) it's really just a matter of keeping it up and keeping everything clean.
txbrumley View Drop Down

Quote txbrumley Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 7:54am
Late to the party here but the two free antivirus packages I've tried recently are MSE (Windows Defender I think it goes by now) and BitDefender free version. So far I'm sticking with MSE on my Slade, but I have both hardware and software firewalls and don't tend to do dangerous things on my PC.
Slade Gaming 2015
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 11:11am
McAfee Anti-virus now is fairly good, especially when it's free .

It even has an "Excellent" review score from PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424467,00.asp
 Post Reply Post Reply