Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dan622 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dan622 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: new to pc gaming
    Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:28pm
Budget:
$3000-$4000

Usage:
I would like to get into mmos more. I usually listen to iTunes while playing games, and watch Hulu or Netflix when not gaming.

Saved Ticket #: 1143043

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-PRO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Features 802.11ac Wi-Fi Connectivity)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (128GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (EVGA ACX Cooler Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: APC SurgeArrest Personal PER7 (7 Outlet) 120V Surge Protector
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: CM Storm Devastator Bundle (Gaming Keyboard & Gaming Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty (6 Year Labor & 4 Year Part Replacement)

So i was just wondering if you guys had any ideas or hints for me. Oh and current monitor is 1080, might upgrade but no immediate plans to do so.

michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 11:02pm

4790 arguably the best gaming GPU with it's guaranteed high clock speed ( most games benefit more from high clock than more cores)

970 very good GPU in terms of perf. vs. cost IMO

Should play most games on high settings on 1080 very smoothly. There's a few tortuous games, mainly of the first person shooter type - MMOs are often less demanding, depends on the MMO

Personally, I would go with the Corsair coolers with liquid cooling. Main reason being those massive air coolers have the downside of putting more stress on the mobo, especially if you move the PC. I want to be able to move my PC without worrying about anything breaking :) It would of course change the airflow in the Velox somewhat with a radiator, presumably on top. Not sure how they configure that on a Velox. I will find out if my Velox ever shows up ( they are on back order, theoretically shipping end of month.)

Edited by michaeljhuman - 03 Feb 2015 at 11:06pm
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 3:05am
Hi dan622..... That's an excellent build.   I would drop the memory fan kit.   It isn't needed and is primarily an eye candy thing.   

I like the Noctua.   Most don't want the bulky coolers anymore but they rarely if ever break a mobo, never heard of it, and they are great performers, quiet and tops in reliability.   Nothing to fail. Even if a fan goes bad , it will still keep the cpu cool enough to use.

Looks good and good luck.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 5:00am
My system has the Noctua D14 in it and it hasn't stressed or broken my motherboard, course its all personal preference.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
dan622 View Drop Down

Quote dan622 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 5:40am
Thanks guys for all the info. I think I'll drop the memory fans then, and I'll keep the cpu fan if the liquid cooler will mess up air flow.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 7:42am
The liquid cooler, whether the ones with the 120mm rad or the 240mm rad won't mess up the airflow.    If anything, they help airflow.  Same with Noctua.   Some have said the large Noctua blocks airflow because of its size, and that just isn't true.  If it was a solid block of metal, then yeah.   It's two fans create a lot of airflow front to back and the middle fan extending below the cooling block has shown to create airflow across the mobo and ram sticks.     

Either work just fine for airflow.    Big%20Smile
dan622 View Drop Down

Quote dan622 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 8:36am
Ok, thanks again.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 2:07pm
Hi dan622,

You did a good job on your build. The NH-D14 is a great cooler especially with the Velox case. The cooler lines up real well with the lower front fan and the rear exhaust fan. A lot of air will be moving over the CPU.

You don't need to change anything in your build. If it was my system I would drop the memory fan kit as suggested by bprat22 and get the 256Gb 850 PRP SSD. You will appreciate the additional space in the SSD.

Frank
dan622 View Drop Down

Quote dan622 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:54pm
Ok, thanks for the info. I think I'll wait another week or two and save for the better ssd.
 Post Reply Post Reply