Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:04pm
Budget:
[$4000]

Expectations:
[I want this computer to run popular PC games.]

Usage:
[PC Gaming/General Use]

Hello.

I'm new to the world of PC Gaming. I was going to build my own, until I realized that I'm not a technician and have very little knowledge about computers.

However, I want to buy one, but I'm not sure if the parts I have selected are compatible, or would work well together.

I've been eyeballing the Bolt II, and am going to purchase it soon within a few months. However, I'm hesitant because I don't know if the customized options I chose with it are compatible together. Here's a rundown of the specs I chose with the Bolt II.

CPU:Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Will be overclocking to 4.4 GHz)
GPU: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97I-PLUS (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate)
Cooling System: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
Power Supply: 700W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition
Chassis Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Fans (2x 120mm)

So, would these parts be compatible with each other? Would I need to upgrade or downgrade anything?

Thanks.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 6:40pm

If using a 1080p monitor, you won't need a $4000 budget

The Bolt, level 3 is very nice.

The 4790k is a perfect gaming CPU due to it's high speed. The 980 is one of the best GPUs on the market

If you are thinking of a 4k monitor, my recommendations might change to an SLI setup with two 980s

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Nirvash1994 View Drop Down

Quote Nirvash1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:11pm
Thank you.

Everything else looks good though? The main thing I'm worried about is the power supply, and if it's enough or too much, or even too little. I must sound like a total noob.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 10:11pm
You do not need a 700W PSU for this system...you only need that if you opt for a Titan Z. Looks good otherwise, but I'd go for a Western Digital harddrive instead of a Seagate as WD has better reliability.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 11:56pm

I eyeball power supplies based on experience

850 watts gives headroom for overclocking or even adding a second video card if the motherboard supports it

For one video card, you should have plenty of headroom, seeing how I have put two videos cards into a PC and powered them with 800 watts ( roughly.)

Extreme overclocking can really pull a lot of power, but I am talking raising the voltage a lot ( which requires sufficient cooling to compensate)

It's hard to know exactly how much power you will need, which is why too much is not a bad idea if the cost is reasonable

As an idea, with dual GTX 780s (factory OC) and an overclocked i7 3770, I was pulling over 750 watts from the wall according to my Kill A Watt meter.   I do believe this is a worse case than you would see with modern hardware and SLI, at least with GTX 9xx and Haswell, but I could be wrong

Edited by michaeljhuman - 27 Jan 2015 at 11:59pm
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"

Quote Nirvash1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 4:42am
Thanks very much everyone

I have one more question, and this one came to mind after thinking about it.

Should I stick with the regular GTX 980, or opt for the ASUS Strix GTX 980? I've read that the Strix version keeps it cool and such, but I've also read on some forums that the Bolt II can have some dimension differences and a Strix may not fit in the Bolt II.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 6:19am
Hi Nirvash1994.....  The Bolt 2 was recently modded, re-designed by DS to add  another 2" in height to accommodate the wider cards like the Strix.   The card sits vertical instead of horizontal as in regular size cases, so the added height makes it possible.

The Strix is a quality card with its main draw being Quiet, especially under light loads where the fans remain off until the temps hit 60 C I believe it is.  It also gives you a few fps better gaming over reference.    Up to you if the added cost is worth it.  For quiet and quality build its nice.  The added performance as-is is also nice but not a game changer but every frame helps. Big%20Smile

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Quote Nirvash1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 6:29am
Thank you very much everyone. I think my decision has been made. Definitely going to purchase this beast when the funds are saved.

I really appreciate all of the help!

Here's the setup if you want to check it out:
Configuration Code: 1139545
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 7:07am
Looks great.  Awesome
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Nirvash1994

Thanks very much everyone

I have one more question, and this one came to mind after thinking about it.

Should I stick with the regular GTX 980, or opt for the ASUS Strix GTX 980? I've read that the Strix version keeps it cool and such, but I've also read on some forums that the Bolt II can have some dimension differences and a Strix may not fit in the Bolt II.

Normally I like buying the factory overclocked EVGA boards, but they don't have them as an normal option

So I went with the Strix, hoping the cooler was a bit better, and thought it has a nice factory overclock. That's not to say someone could not overclock other cards to the same number, but the factory OC is a guarantee of sorts
 Post Reply Post Reply