FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Slade, nice and (now) quiet!

Post Date: 2014-04-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Setitimer View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Slade, nice and (now) quiet!
    Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 8:55am
[I have edited my review a bit since bprat22 identified the cause of the noise issue I was having.]

So I received my Slade on Thursday.  Specs:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooler Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

It's a nice system, well assembled and very fast.  The only bad thing at first glance was that the bottom two clips that hold the front door on were broken.  Fortunately there is a replacement set in the accessories box, so I was able to replace that.

The assembly of the system is top notch.  Opened up, it is very clean and professional; all of the cables are routed behind the motherboard tray, accessible with the right side case panel removed.  They're not just stuffed back there either, all nicely routed.  None of the hardware is custom colored, but most of it is black including the motherboard so it looks very slick.

Performance wise, this machine is very nice.  I am upgrading from an i7 920 with a GTX 670, 6GB RAM, and a 2TB drive (with no SSD) so the speed bump is very noticeable.  No issues at all with setup or stability.  I'm finally able to play Skyrim with an ENB and still get 60FPS, so there's no doubt about the performance.

One of the reasons I purchased a Slade was that I want a PC that is as quiet as reasonably possible given the performance level I am after.  I was initially disappointed to discover that the Slade was actually louder than the machine it is replacing; there was a noise that sounded like a small fan running at high RPMs, but I couldn't identify the source.  The culprit turned out to be one of the two fans in the TUF Armor on the Asus Sabertooth motherboard.  I was able to adjust the fan speed using Asus' Thermal Radar app, and now my machine is as quiet as advertised.

All in all, I am completely satisfied with this PC, with Digital Storm's service, and with the friendly and helpful folks in the DS forums.

Edited by Setitimer - 12 Apr 2014 at 10:36am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 9:24am
Hi Setitimer....  Thanks for the review and congrats on the new rig.  Awesome

Couple of things with the noise....  The Sabertooth mobo does have either one or two small 40mm fans mounted in the TUF thermal Armor.   One is over the chipset, below the  right  ram slots and the other , if it was installed, is next to the left ram slots, above the rear i/o ports.   Some have complained those small fans were noisy.   Something to look into since they do just plug into the mobo.

Also, the video card ACX dual fans are supposed to be quieter but some have had a noisy fan on the card.  They do fluctuate in rpm with load.

Most fans, and do it if your comfortable, can be stalled with the finger if done slow and gentle to help isolate the noise. 

Good luck. Big%20Smile

Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 10:24am
You nailed it.  The "assistant fan" is the culprit; that is the little fan in the TUF armor at the top left, next to the RAM slots and the I/O area.  I couldn't see it before since it is completely hidden by the CPU cooler and rear exhaust fan; the only way to see it is to look through the top of the case.

I downloaded ASUS Thermal Radar and put that fan on "user" setting and gave it a more reasonable profile: linked to the DRAM-AB sensor, 50% RPM up to 40C then a straight line increase to 100% at 75C and above.  It is much quieter now.

Interestingly, the PCH fan seems almost completely silent, it's just the one at the top left that is annoying.

Thanks a ton for your advice.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 10:32am
Nice fix. Awesome

Yeah, those little suckers can get noisy.  My next advice was a fan profile but you beat me to it.   Big%20Smile      Or, remove it if you had to, but better your way. 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 10:34am
Setitimer,

Thank you for writing up your review!

I'm glad that you were able to replace the two clips on the front door, shipping must have caused them to break. If you need any spare parts, please feel free to contact our team so we can help you.

Those small fans on the ASUS motherboards can definitely get a little annoying. You hit the nail on the head, that's exactly what we recommend to our customers. Slowing the fan down takes care of the issue and you should have no problem with thermals either.

Other than that, hope you're enjoying the PC!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 11:45pm
Congrats on your new machine!!

Thanks for taking the time to share a quick review with us!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 9:39am
Post some pics when you get a chance so we can feature it!
 Post Reply Post Reply