FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New PC - What programs maintain its speed?

Post Date: 2014-05-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChaosProdigy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChaosProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New PC - What programs maintain its speed?
    Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:41pm
Not sure I worded the subject well, but i'm currently using Vanquish Lvl 4 and loving it.

I download allot of torrents so I daily run Spy Bot Search and Destroy, Malware Bytes and the Windows Defender (Microsoft Essentials ) for antivirus. I also ran WinASO registry optimizer and Perfect Disk defragment software.

I was able to maintain a 6.6 second boot time even though I've installed quite a few games and some other software. I kept start-up programs all off except I kept "Delayed Launcher" from Intel, which has subsection IAStorIcon and Delayed Launcher again - i read online that has to do with SSD. I also run PeerBlock software and have that turned on on start-up because when I am downloading torrents it helps protect me.

Currently using Google Chrome as browser and using Ad Block Plus there.

I was wanting to check the PC temperature of the various parts, but was unable to find reliable or easy to use software for that, I am just hoping the temperature in my rig is adequate on all parts until I can figure out a good way to keep an eye on it without slowing down the system.

All my games are installed on the SSD and loving it.

Anyhow, just wondering if any of the above can be improved on or any new software that would be good. I would not mind paying for decent AntiVirus software, so far Kaspersky antivirus would be the one I was considering to get and replace the default WindowsDefender (formerly known as Microsoft Security Essentials).

Thanks guys!

Edited by ChaosProdigy - 05 May 2014 at 11:43pm
Vanquish II Level 4
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2014 at 4:02am
hwmonitor, real temps and theres another one that was mentioned somewhere in the forums can't remember though that can be used to monitor temps. For antivirus there are some people that recommend Eset

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 06 May 2014 at 4:03am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2014 at 7:42am
OCCT has a lot of features for monitoring, testing and stressing.

Quote ChaosProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2014 at 3:40pm
Thanks for the feedback guys, any comments on the above programs i'm using?

Should I shut down my PC every night or keep it running 24/7?
Vanquish II Level 4
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2014 at 3:46pm
I use Malwarebytes on a regular basis and always recommend it.

I shut much pc down every night but others that leave it on have no problems.   A personal preference.   I unplug chargers and the toaster and coffee maker when done with them, so that's my thing.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2014 at 4:20pm
I keep mine on 24/7 and i'll only shut it down when there is a storm coming or if i know i'm going to be gone a couple of days.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2014 at 3:07am
I keep my system on 24/7 also. Grant it, I have a much more exotic cooling... still, it runs constantly with maybe me shutting it off once a week.

But that doesn't matter. We won't get into theories of the comp sci and comp engineering world here on the health of constantly shutting off. I want to touch on your programs. Get rid of Spybot. It's garbage. All you need is:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
RogueKiller (optional but amazing rootkit scanner, host file, etc...)
And a decent AV. Malwarebytes is easily the best anti-spyware/malware scanner there is. Spybot has been garbage since about mid way through XP.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:20am
DS has mentioned in another thread, and I've learned from personal experience, that HWMonitor reads Vanquish II (4) mainboard temps in the 120ºC range.

I use a second source for temps, Speccy, from Piriform, same folks that gave us CCleaner.

Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, CCleaner and avast! pro keep the machine safe.  A monthly defrag of the F: (HDD/1Tb) drive helps, too... (NEVER defrag SSD!)

Since there are two of us that us this machine now, and one of us works nights, the machine is on 24/7.  We generally hit the 'sleep' button on the keyboard if we're going to be away for an hour or more.  Never turn it off (so far).

Edited by Snaike - 10 May 2014 at 12:31am

Quote ChaosProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Snaike

DS has mentioned in another thread, and I've learned from personal experience, that HWMonitor reads Vanquish II (4) mainboard temps in the 120ºC range.

I use a second source for temps, Speccy, from Piriform, same folks that gave us CCleaner.

Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, CCleaner and avast! pro keep the machine safe.  A monthly defrag of the F: (HDD/1Tb) drive helps, too... (NEVER defrag SSD!)

Since there are two of us that us this machine now, and one of us works nights, the machine is on 24/7.  We generally hit the 'sleep' button on the keyboard if we're going to be away for an hour or more.  Never turn it off (so far).

Why never defeag SSD?
Also, any way to turn off Vanquish blue lights at night? They are too bright in my bedroom way brighter than 10 night lights would be :)
Vanquish II Level 4
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 5:02am
Originally posted by ChaosProdigy

Why never defeag SSD?
Also, any way to turn off Vanquish blue lights at night? They are too bright in my bedroom way brighter than 10 night lights would be :)

See if there is a red switch on the back of the computer, if there is then flip it.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 5:20am

Why never defeag SSD?

Flash memory vs tradition hard drive disks. First off, defragging isn't need as it once was, even for HDD's. File systems and file optimization is much smarter than it use to be. But SSD's use flash memory, which is one of the causes for not needed to Defrag. Windows 7 and newer use TRIM to keep your SSD's nice and clean. But there are benchmarks out there, that show 1.) SSD's don't show degraded performance once heavy fragmented and/or filled past the 50% mark and 2.) Because of them being flash memory and fragmentation not being an issue, you regain performance from either TRIM or just doing a simple garbage clean up.

You can run a defrag on it and not cause any harm... but you also won't cause any performance increase or benefit. You'll essentially just waste time.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2

Quote ChaosProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 5:22am
Thank you for the explanation.

As for the "red switch" for turning off the blue lights behind my vanquish II, i don't see one - any workaround? My pc is in my bedroom facing me so if it's on i can't possibly sleep, it's a night light from hell lol
Vanquish II Level 4
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 5:37am
The red switch is for the internal light strip they mount on the bottom.  Some of the latest Vanquish didn't have it.   It doesn't do anything for the front LED fans.  No option I know of to turn them off, short of snipping a wire , but I'd have to see if that would even work.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 6:01am
If it's at night, just "Sleep" the computer.  Then the only lights you'll see are the power LED flash and it can be awakened by hitting the space bar.

"Defragging" came about because HDDs used to store bits of information across the read/write platters for files.  You could have a simple line of instructions cut into bits in four different places.  You would 'defragment' this with a program that put all four lines in the same place... ie, it would 'defrag' the information making it easier faster to find the information.

SSDs do NOT write to a platter, therefore and in my extremely limited 'computerese', running a 'defrag' program simply wears out the SSDs limited read/write life.  I'll leave with a few quotes.. Posting links usually doesn't work for me so I'll let you use the wonderful world of Google.

Tom's Hardware .." All you'll ever achieve by defragging is wearing the drive down more. I would not defrag a SSD ever - there is no point to it at all. "

PCWorld...  "You should never defragment a solid-state drive (SSD). Doing so can shorten its lifespan. In fact, whether you purchased a laptop with an SSD installed or upgraded your laptop with one, be sure to disable scheduled defragmentation in Windows 7. Click Start, type disk, and then click Disk Defragmenter. Click Configure schedule to disable the feature."

Just to name a few. 

Quote ChaosProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:44am
Nice writeup Snaike.

Issue with putting the PC to sleep is that the only reason i leave the PC on all night is to download giant torrents that sometimes have few seeders so take a few days to gets - so to put it to sleep is not viable in my case.

Wondering if Digital Storm can chime in on ability to turn off the lights somehow
Vanquish II Level 4
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:16pm

Nice writeup Snaike.

Issue with putting the PC to sleep is that the only reason i leave the PC on all night is to download giant torrents that sometimes have few seeders so take a few days to gets - so to put it to sleep is not viable in my case.

Wondering if Digital Storm can chime in on ability to turn off the lights somehow

If its just the front case fans that light up, if anything you can buy two whatever size fans they are and replace them. If there isn't a way to turn them off.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 10 May 2014 at 12:17pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:06pm

Nice writeup Snaike.

I've poked around my Vanquish II (4) and can see no way of easily turning off the blue fan lights.  The plugs I pulled shut off not only the lights, but the fans too.

The options are to replace the fans (as per ArkansasWoman's suggestion) as it seems fairly simple, block the light source from your bed or wait for DS on Monday and perhaps they have a better solution.

Quote ChaosProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 11:31pm
Ok i will wait for Digital Storm feedback. Very surprising such bright lights have no off switch or better yet software i can program so it automatically shuts off lights after midnight
Vanquish II Level 4
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2014 at 7:53am
Funny that we are talking about Vanquish II Ultimate fans.... I was just thinking that mine could use a couple more blue LED fans on top...   

(But then I'm reminded that will cause a "negative pressure" in the case and the air would come in through all the mesh work on the Corsair 230T case, bypassing the filters and making dust buildup a problem.... /sigh ....   MOAR BRITE FANZ!!)
 Post Reply Post Reply