Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New ODE V2 Configurations
    Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:19am
We have updated our ODE lineup to the new ODE V2. Changes include:

1. New Z77 chipset for future Intel 3rd generation processor upgrades.

2. New AMD 7 series and NVIDIA 6 series graphic cards.

3. New lower pricing.

At this time, the units do not ship within 3-5 days, and are now under our standard 10-15 business day time-frame. We may change this to the 3-5 business day estimate once we're able to pre-build enough ahead of time.

Edited by Alex - 16 Apr 2012 at 10:25am
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:36am
A couple issues. Why are you wasting money on offering the GTX 580 and the Intel 2700k. Both are a complete waste of money. The GTX 570 2.5GB is cheaper then the 580 1.5GB and it runs every single game that the 580 does and in some cases can perform better due to the higher vram.

The benchmark differences between the two cards is in the single digits and people will never see that difference. Things like the 580 should only be used in a multi-gpu system when someone needs every extra frame rate possible because they have a multi-monitor or 3D setup. A single 580 versus a single 570 2.5GB does nothing but waste money.

For the 2700k it is EXACTLY the same as the 2600k in terms of physical specs, it just has a extra 0.10GHz on it's stock clock. Which is totally pointless since you over clock the CPU anyways and due to power management the CPU will NEVER operate at the stock clock speed. It will either down tune it's self when not under load or it will boost up to the over clock setting when it is under load in game.

You could save people a couple extra bucks on the Level 3 and Level 4 models by making those changes. And honestly you should not even be offering the 2700k at all. All you are doing by offering it is ripping off people who don't know any better and they incorrectly assume it's some how better then the 2600k. DS is supposed to be better then the competition, offering something just because it exists is not helping your customers.

Edited by jmaster299 - 16 Apr 2012 at 10:37am

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:52am
The reason for the part selection is based on a few factors, customer demand/preference, our pricing deals based on our inventory, etc...

We're doing a special price on the i7 2700K which makes the price difference between the 2600K very, very small, so we rather offer the units with the better 2700K naturally.

The same applies to the GTX 580. We're offering them at a special price, which results in a better option compared to us offering the GTX 570 2.5GB. Yes, the GTx 570 2.5GB is a great option, however, the GTX 580 even at 1.5GB is very powerful, specially with it's faster clock rates, etc... A 2.5GB frame buffer is great for resolutions higher than 1080P.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:02am
That does not make sense. On the configuration page if I am building a custom system the 2600k will save me $55. You say you are offering the 2700k due to some price deal but to the customer it's still costs $55.

It may work out better for you to offer it in the ODE but for the custom systems you should have it default to the 2600k. The way it is now you are squeezing an extra $55 out of people when that $55 will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to increase the performance of their system.

So if you are going to push certain hardware because it saves you money you should pass those savings on to your customers. As it stands the 2700k only costs $20 more then the 2600k under retail pricing but you charge an inflated $55 price difference. Yes your pricing will be different then retail but by setting the default option to the more expensive item (that has the exact same specs/performance) you hurt your customers.

Like I said in my first post you all are supposed to be better then the other shady custom system builders out there and it's issues like this that expose you for price gouging your customers just like the competition does.

Again, at least show some decency and responsibility and remove the 2700k as the default option for custom systems. You really should not even be offering it as it's a complete waste of money but I can understand leaving it as an option for the people who want it for what ever reason. But at the very least set the default to the 2600k that way if someone does spend the extra money they are forced to make a conscious decision to do so.

Edited by jmaster299 - 16 Apr 2012 at 11:09am

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:35am

There's more to it. I rather not extend this out, in simple terms, the items we've selected such as the i7 2700K are newer, and better options.

Yes, the 2600K is a lower cost item on retail channels, and is only slightly slower, however, we actually partner up with our vendors on the ODE V2 line to work out exclusive pricing deals. If we offered the ODE V2 with the 2600K, the price would basically be the same.

In the end, it's a win-win situation for our customers. Newer, faster products at an aggressive price. Cool

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:42am
Please read what I said. I know you don't want to extend this because it exposes you for ripping people off. I'm talking about the custom builds. The 2700k is EXACTLY the same as the 2600k in terms of hardware. The only difference is the extra 0.10GHz on the stock clock. For that extra 0.10GHz you charge your customers $55, a total ripoff.

Add in the fact that when the customer selects to have DS over clock their CPU the stock clock no longer applies. So the person who pays $55 for the 2700k has the EXACT same chip in their system as the person who went with the 2600k.

The only one who benefits is DS and DS is only benefiting at the expense of their customers.

darbebo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:52am
wow, heated debate already. was going to get my wife an ODE 1 from before

by now the "comparable build" is the ODE 3 with a 2700k and a 580 when i was initiatially going for a 570. I was going to use the saved cost and buy from DS and add a SSD 520 to the ODE 1

changing it back to a 2600 and a 570 would save me some money and get that SSD.

i don't think anyone would go for an i5 at this time so not sure why it would be listed beyond level 1

800 W is a nice touch but early people say 600W is plenty for a 570, so are we minimizing cost or helping people anticipate upgrades this time?

Some what iffy @ the watercooling while the OC level 2 is nice though...

hmm iono, seems like this will push me / other people towards customizing = higher cost. damnit...

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:00pm
I conceded on the 580 vs 570 debate since we have no way of knowing what kind of deal DS is getting. With the 580 it is at least technically a more powerful piece of hardware (even if the difference is only 3-5fps) with a few extra cores and higher clock speeds.The performance diffence may be negligible but at the very least it is different hardware.

With the 2600k and the 2700k there NO difference at all what so ever in the hardware. The only difference is the stock clock speeds. Alex claims the ODE pricing would be the same but at the same time they charge $55 more for the 2700k on a custom system compared to the 2600k.

All I'm saying is if DS is going to sell the 2700k it should not be set as the default option on custom systems. The ONLY reason to do that is try and sneak in the extra $55 cost to the customer and that's wrong for DS to do that to their customers. It is in no way a better piece of hardware.

People will try to argue that it's a business but DS is supposed to be different. By setting the default option to the 2700k it makes DS no better then the other companies they will not allow us to mention here.

Edited by jmaster299 - 16 Apr 2012 at 12:02pm

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:01pm
@jmaster299, you're looking at it from the wrong angle. The pricing on the customized builds is not based on our partnership with partners for the ODE V2 pricing. The higher price for the 2700K on customized builds is due to supply vs. demand, we have inventory on the 2600K that we still need to sell.

@darbebo, it's difficult to offer something that would work for everyone on the ODE line. We made the changes based on how popular the requests/demands have been for the items at those price points. In all honesty, for strictly as a gaming PC, the ODE V2 with the i5 at it's price point of $1,449 and overclock would show a very, very small difference in performance in games if upgraded to the i7 2700K, which would also increase it's price.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:07pm
You are making my case for me. If you are trying to push the 2600k due to inventory it should be your default option. But you are still not being honest about the pricing. The $55 price difference between the 2600k and the 2700k has been that way since last year.

When I first started looking to build my system over 6 months ago the price difference of $55 was still the same. But now you are trying to claim you got some deal on the 2700k so you are featuring them more now but the price remains the same.

If you are going feature the 2700k and are trying to get rid of the 2600k you should drop the price on the 2600k and not leave it the same as it's been since last year still.

All you are doing is hurting customers who don't know any better and taking that extra money from them because you can.

darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:12pm
@ jmaster, while i can see your point, they gotta make some money too, and i'll grant them that. But it's not like the 2700k is worse than the 2600. if you know and head to the forums you'll be fine.

I'm just somewhat bummed out on the ODE 1 deal. 1515 +$290 on the SSD = approx 2000 out the door with tax, etc.

now i will have to shell out 2300 lol on a custom build ~
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:12pm

I've already stated it in my earlier response, we made a deal with our vendors to market the 2700K at basically the same price for the ODE V2 line by working out an instant rebate that is strictly for the 2700K CPU. This deal strictly for the ODE V2 and allows us to offer our customers an even better system. There is no reason why we should offer the 2600K instead.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:47pm
I'm not talking about the ODE, you explained the reason behind the options on the ODE. I am talking about custom systems and custom systems only. You have the 2700k set as the default option on the configuration page which does nothing except add an addition $55 to a customer's build.

For that extra $55 your customers get NOTHING in return. Charging an extra $55 for no reason is bad customer service. For CUSTOM SYSTEMS that have the 2700k set as the default option you should have the 2600k set as the default option instead.

You claim there is no reason to offer the 2600k, for the ODE that's fine but for custom systems I can think of 55 reasons why the 2600k should be set as default instead of the 2700k.

Edited by jmaster299 - 16 Apr 2012 at 12:48pm

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:54pm

@jmaster299, as mentioned above, the difference in price is due to our inventory for the 2600K.

@darbebo, good news, the team updated the config on the Level 2 from the i5 to the i7 2700K, the ODE V2 is now priced at $1,549. Big%20Smile
josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josephlee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 1:02pm
That ODE 4 V2 is just screaming my name. Freakin' perfect build. I thought I was going to wait until September when all the fancy new gear was out, but not sure I can beat that setup. Well done DS/Alex, well done.    

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 1:03pm
@Alex, as mentioned above that's a lie since the price difference has been the same since last year. And as mentioned above, what ever the difference is in price you should be listing the cheaper option as the default option on the custom configuration page since both CPUs are 100% identical.

If the price was also the same then it would not matter but since there is a price difference you are ripping people off. Own up to it, admit your mistake and fix the issue.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 1:05pm
@jmaster299, there is no mistake, and in all honesty, your choice of words and overall message gives off a very negative persona which isn't welcomed on the forums.

@josephlee, glad to hear! Awesome
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 1:12pm
Alex.....The new ODE V2 lineup finally gives those on a tight $1300 budget a pick comparable to the ole Ode 0.      The new lvl 2 for $35 more gives better gaming than the old lvl 1 and the lvl 4 for $2100 gives us a gtx680 rig with SSD, very good cooler and stage 2 oc and bigger HDD. Well done    
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 1:48pm
Cool.

We also have a new model that we're launching soon, starting at $799, it's a younger brother of the ODE.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:11pm
No hints?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:14pm

One more hint, check the website on Wednesday. Cool

darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 3:30pm
@ Alex, thank you so much for the update on level 2.

Did you change it cuz of my complaint alone? (wouldn't mind if you say yes.)

Now i need to find out how good is the 7870 vs the GTX 570 and see if there's any faults with it.

I have the 5870 AMD, but ever since that series, it seems like nvidia dominated the AMD lines (even the 680 > 6990 or something) in terms of power consumption, heat, etc

any insights?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 3:34pm

darbebo,

You're suggestion was what pushed our team to do it. Big%20Smile

The 7870 was chosen due to it being a newer generation video card (7 series), lower power requirement, and it is faster than the GTX 570 in a few benchmarks.
Ironwolf1974 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ironwolf1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Alex

darbebo,

You're suggestion was what pushed our team to do it. Big%20Smile

The 7870 was chosen due to it being a newer generation video card (7 series), lower power requirement, and it is faster than the GTX 570 in a few benchmarks.

I love those new setups, recommending you guys to a few MMO friends who are using 7 year old computers lol!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 4:35pm
Strong
josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josephlee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 4:36pm
All kinds of fun stuff
smurfzilla View Drop Down

Quote smurfzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:06pm
Man that level 4 is sweet - almost identical to my custom build I just ordered yesterday and $400 cheaper to boot. :)
josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josephlee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 7:45pm
I know, DS is not making this easy
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:10pm
2 things

1. i just realized that the 7870 only have a DVI and HDMI port, but no analog. (so i can't plug 2 "older" monitors in unless they use hdmi. while the 570 / 680 does..

2. Lars says that they don't want people customizing on the new ODE, contradicting to what Alex says earlier to "contact us" to slightly customize. All i wanted was to ADD a 520 SSD to the ODE, not exactly "replacing/swapping". Is this still a 'no-no'?

also, if we're adding, can you guys just forgo the fee :)

sigh.. a poor bastard can dream can he?

FLCarguy View Drop Down

Quote FLCarguy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:40pm
Alex, when do you estimate that the ODE V2 Level 4 will shift to the 3 to 5 business day time frame? I was going to go all out for a 4 to 5 k gaming system, but everyone tells me it would be overkill for what I need it for (mmo's and D3)   The new ODE V2 Level 4 looks like the perfect build for me.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:44pm
1. The video cards come with DVI to VGA adapters so you can connect an analog monitor to a DVI port.

2. We did have a meeting about the ODE line and changes. One of the issues is that if we change major components, it causes a lot of issues since for example, the hard drive has the OS and then we have to remove the OS, re-install, etc... Upgrades such as adding a sound card are easy to do, but, major changes make it more difficult. That's also why we made the ODE a locked configuration, it allows us to lower our overhead which gives us the advantage of offering lower prices for them.

Darbebo, if you really want the SSD in the system, it may be pricey, but, I'm sure we can work something out for you, email me: [email protected]

Edited by Alex - 16 Apr 2012 at 9:45pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:45pm
The 3-5 estimate may not become realistic for a few weeks, as we're currently catching up on custom builds, etc...
FLCarguy View Drop Down

Quote FLCarguy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:58pm
Will the ODE V2 Level 4 handle two monitors (24" 1920 by 1080, one used for gaming, the other will be used for the Internet.)

Also, does that motherboard offer WiFi?

Edited by FLCarguy - 16 Apr 2012 at 10:02pm
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:05pm
@ Alex,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

per this , i looked at the picture, there's clearly the HDMI port, but there's only 1 DVI port, so can i have 2 DVI's or have to be 1 DVI and 1 HDMI?

even if i have the converter, i still neeed to have 2 DVI ports correct?

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>